ASR: Post-match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping for information from ASR folks but I imagine everyone who joined the Guard as a medical student has gone through a similar process.

Now that I'm matched, I'm trying to get the ball rolling on the process of transitioning to residency in another state. My understanding is that I will need to re-commission into the Medical Corps as a physician and to go through the Inter-state transfer process since I am moving for residency. Correct?

How do I get these balls rolling? Having a hard time getting guidance from my unit...

Members don't see this ad.

Im in a similar position but have gone through the IST process several times before albeit enlisted twice and once officer.

Best odds are to contact the IST personnel of the gaining state or their respective OSM. It is not an easy process so patience is required (most do not know the difference between PA, NP, med student or physician so clarify). May take months. Being MC vs MSC makes it easier is the rumor I have heard.

Good luck.

Now that I'm matched, I'm trying to get the ball rolling on the process of transitioning to residency in another state. My understanding is that I will need to re-commission into the Medical Corps as a physician and to go through the Inter-state transfer process since I am moving for residency. Correct?
Hey DC- Sorry for not chiming in here, but I stayed in-state, so have no personal experience with IST, though one of the med students I worked with was going to have to do it and it was painful-looking.

Another med student continued to remain assigned to his medical school state and drilled with them every now and again and SUTA'd for other months in his new state. That said, this was under the older Flexi-Training program that allowed for drilling once q3 months instead of the current once q2.

Good luck with it, though. Without good support from home unit, it can be a challenge.