HPSP: Couples Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PendragonOfTheRound

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a current 3rd-year student (Army HPSP) and I am dating another 3rd-year student (Navy HPSP). We are looking ahead to residencies and would like to be together if at all possible. I know that there is a military couple match that is possible, but does anyone know if it is also possible to match across different services?

Any help would be appreciated! We are looking at Walter Reed potentially since it has both Army and Navy residencies and we are planning on getting married.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to be considered for co-location you would need to be officially married. Dating won’t count for anything related to co-location.

When married they will try as best they can to co-locate across services but no guarantees. Most couples we knew from USUHS who were not same service had one switch services to make the rest of their careers easier to co-locate.

I second militaryPHYS. The military doesn't take dating into account, but will if you are married. Married across different services is difficult and increases the chances that they will not be able to co-locate you. These days that *might* be better given some of the joint billets at big MTFs, but I wouldn't count on it.

Friends from USUHS who married all ended up switching services for that reason. I don't know the process, but it wasn't a huge hurdle as I knew at least 3 couples that went through it (and it wasn't something they considered all that hard at the time, but it's been awhile).

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the responses! We definitely would be married and not just dating.

I am also willing to switch to her service (Navy) but I am not sure how to go about that.

I appreciate the responses! We definitely would be married and not just dating.

I am also willing to switch to her service (Navy) but I am not sure how to go about that.
For what it's worth - the Navy is contracting a lot of medical slots/authorizations right now, depending on the specialty in question. The Army is larger and isn't contracting at the moment (at least not more than the normal ebb and flow). If you do end up married, and one of you needs to swap services, the availability of training may be something to consider.

To be transparent, I'm AF (not Navy or Army). So I'm not advising one way or the other. There are others here, or at any of the programs you are looking at, who can probably give you better first hand information.

Thank you for all of the comments! I really appreciate it! I will reach out and see!