PhD/PsyD Assessments to Get for New Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRNONAME

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a position where I am developing a new rural integrated health program where I will be doing both therapy and assessment. I have access to a grant that will basically pay an unlimited amount for whatever assessment materials I need, so I am currently compiling a list of what assessments to purchase. Below is a list of the assessments I have used frequently in the past, find useful, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions to add to the list? I left off the basic screeners (PHQ-9, BAI, MDQ, etc.) that I already have, but if you think of one that is really important, please say so!

Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale, 4th edition WAIS-IV
Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, 5th edition WISC-V
Woodcock-Johnson Test of Achievement, 4th edition W-J IV
Adaptive Behavior Assessment System, 3rd edition ABAS-3
A Developmental Neuropsychological Assessment, 2nd edition NEPSY-2
Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, 2nd edition, Revised Form MMPI-2RF
Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, Adolescent, Revised Form MMPI-ARF
Beck Youth Inventories, 2nd edition BYI-II
Trauma Symptom Checklist for Children TSCC
Trauma Symptom Inventory, 2nd edition TSI-2
Test of Variable Attention TOVA
Rorschach Test with Rorschach Interpretation Assistance Program, 5th edition RORSCHACH/RIAP5
Child Behavior Checklist CBCL
Conners Adult ADHD Rating Scale CAARS
Conners Multihealth System, 3rd edition CONNERS3
Test of Problem Solving, 2 TOPS2
Test of Problem Solving, 3 TOPS3
SCAN 3C, Test for Auditory Processing Disorders in Children SCAN3C
SCAN 3A, Test for Auditory Processing Disorders in Adolescents and Adults SCAN3A
Structured Interview of Reported Symptoms, 2nd edition SIRS-2
Gilliam Autism Rating Scale, 3rd Edition GARS-3

Members don't see this ad.

Tests that I have used and would include in my own list here in a rural health clinic would be WRAT4, PAI, DRS2. We also use the WMS-IV for disability evals, but I don't like that test and we just received the WRAML in hopes it would be a more efficient tool, but I have not looked at it yet and am waiting for my more assessment oriented colleague to do the legwork for me.

Memory measures? CVLT, Rey-O, WMS maybe.
Maybe the CELF for receptive and expressive language dx

Are you doing learning disability evals? Helpful to have CTOPP and TOWRE for dyslexia

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you have an essentially unlimited budget, are you looking for comprehensive batteries or primarily screeners?

I'd recommend a WASI or Shipley for quick IQ screening. You have the NEPSY listed, so it seems like you'll be doing some neuropsych -- If you're seeing adult neuro cases too, I'd recommend at least an RBANS or WMS for screening (maybe a MoCA or MMSE too?). DKEFS seems like it would be a good addition to your list for kids and adults. CPT & CATA are good to have as well. I'm surprised to see Rorschach on your list.

I agree with above about that if you're seeing more comprehensive neuro cases the Rey-O, CVLT, JLO, Booklet Category, RFFT etc. are needed, and also agree that CTOPP, TOWRE, TOWL, & GORT are all useful for academic/LD assessments

If it's truly unlimited, just call up Pearson, western, par, etc and say' "gimme one of everything you got!".

Of course, you would need training and/or supervision in everything you intend to give.

If you're working with young kids, the KABC-II is great.

I really like the WIAT. It's a lot more comprehensive and in-depth than the WRAT, though it obviously takes a lot more time to administer and score than the WRAT, so it would be good to have both if money is no object with your grant.

Reactions: 1 user
The Adult Behavior Checklist and the Youth Self Report are useful companions to the CBCL that we use in my cirrent clinic. Also, the Teacher Report Form if you need cross-setting symptom ratings, like for ADHD and ASD.

In addition to the tests themselves, you might ask for an iPad or two in your budget. At least for your screeners, this could save you a little time. Apparently you can even administer a MoCA now on an iPad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm mostly just familiar with child measures and I'm not sure the age range you see:

CBCL, YSR, TRS (basically the parent, child and teacher versions)

I would also get the BASC-2 (parent, teacher and different child versions) - the BASC also goes down to age 8 vs 11 on the YSR

The Conners-EC (early childhood) is great for younger children is not limited to ADHD symptom profile but also developmental disorders and adaptive behavior.

For adolescents - I really enjoy the PAI-A.

Definitely the WIAT. And if you are testing young children for IQ - WPPSI-IV.