Assist with surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cochlear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I recently came across some unbelievable information on University of Nebraska's audiology page and I'm looking for some feedback on its credibility.

They claim that new doctors of audiology make more money than optometrists and podiatrists starting out. They also state that audiologists are being trained to assist with cochlear implant surgeries! I think it all sounds pretty interesting but I've been unable to find any other info around the web that backs this stuff up. Where are audiologists being trained to assist with actual surgical procedures?

Next they're going to tell me we can prescribe antibiotics...

Read below:

"What is an Audiologists Scope of Practice?
Audiologist’s practice activities, once thought to be related exclusively to hearing disorders, have branched-out to include areas such as: balance/vestibular rehabilitation; tinnitus management; management of cerumen and foreign objects in the external auditory canal; noise abatement; expert witnesses; interoperative monitoring; evaluating and managing individuals with learning disabilities involving the central auditory processing system; industrial and recreational hearing conservation; in some instances visual and somatosensory evoked potential testing; and most recently middle ear implantable hearing devises. In addition, Audiologists may be involved in the management of hearing handicapped students in an educational setting. Audiologists may be trained to assist in the surgical implantation of cochlear implants and the long term training and management of these systems. (From: American Academy of Dispensing Audiologists, 2004)

What Type of Income can I Expect as an Audiologist?
Au.D. programs have existed only since 1993. Income data is limited for audiologists graduating from four-year residential Au.D. programs. The following are the 1999 median incomes for years 1 and 2 in practice after graduating from a four year Au.D. program and how they compare to incomes of newly graduated optometrists and podiatrists:
Au.D. Audiologists Optometrists Podiatrists
Year 1 $61,000 $60,100 $57,714
Year 2 $67,100 $61,747 $64,714

While the Au.D. audiologists have not been in practice sufficiently long enough to establish long term median income, their future is bright. Since the newly graduated audiologist’s income was commensurate with newly graduated optometrist’s and podiatrist’s incomes, we can anticipate and predict long term income to follow these other doctoring professions. In 1999 the median income for all optometrists was $100,940**, and podiatrist was $92,829**. If audiology follows optometry and podiatry, a doctor of audiology could acquire a total lifetime earning (including income and retirement fund) on the order of $4,209,409** - $6,011,884**.
* Article published by Larry Engelmann, Au.D. and Richard Burba, M.B.A."

Source: http://www.unl.edu/barkley/audiology/faqs.shtml

Members don't see this ad.

The typical, newly-minted AuD prob makes less than 60k per year although there are exceptions. I would say 50k is more accurate. Although the disparity in income between new AuDs and new DPMs or ODs may seem small for new grads, this difference increases with years experience. AuDs do not typically make 90 or 100k but some do.

I have never heard audiologists doing anything in surgery other than intraoperative monitoring of sensory evoked potentials.

Audiologists play an important role in management of cochlear implant patients but not in the surgical implantation process

There has never been any discussion concerning audiologists prescribing medications. It's a non-issue.

Thanks for the response Chicoborja. Personally, I found what UNL wrote to be somewhat misleading. It makes it appear that audiologists will more likely than not make the same sort of salaries (or more than) pods and ODs make. Still I have yet to find anyone who can substantiate claims of audiologists assisting in surgery (aside from IOM). I do believe it could be an interesting speciality and definitely has some potential in the future (nurses and PAs can first assist and ODs can now even perform laser correction surgeries in some states), hence my interest in whether it truly exists or not.

And you're definitely correct that within this particular context prescription rights is a non-issue (although I do think it's an important issue), I was just saying that if UNL states we help perform surgeries and make more money than ODs and pods, they might as well toss in that we prescribe medications too. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response Chicoborja. Personally, I found what UNL wrote to be somewhat misleading. It makes it appear that audiologists will more likely than not make the same sort of salaries (or more than) pods and ODs make. Still I have yet to find anyone who can substantiate claims of audiologists assisting in surgery (aside from IOM). I do believe it could be an interesting speciality and definitely has some potential in the future (nurses and PAs can first assist and ODs can now even perform laser correction surgeries in some states), hence my interest in whether it truly exists or not.

And you're definitely correct that within this particular context prescription rights is a non-issue (although I do think it's an important issue), I was just saying that if UNL states we help perform surgeries and make more money than ODs and pods, they might as well toss in that we prescribe medications too. :cool:

With regards to the money, a lot of it depends on your setting. I am doing an externship with a local audiologist who has a private practice in an ENT's office and he told me that 6 figure incomes are very feasible in his type of setting. Duh, he sets his own pay haha. He also shared that annually he is billing in the million dollar range so that salary amount seems reasonable. I think it will all come down to what type of setting we choose to practice in.

Does anyone have any insight into how our salaries will be affected if health care reform goes through?

I agree CMC, our future earnings definitely depends on choice of where to practice. Again, this is why I believe audiologists outside of hospitals should be working in an independent practice type setting--we set our own hours, salaries and develop respect as an autonomous doctoring profession. We have to get away from the model of accepting low-hanging fruit jobs for hearing aid manufacturers that pay 45-50k a year--that's why we have hearing aid techs.

@ Audie: I don't have a definitive answer for this one but my initial belief is if we ever get direct access passed we will mostly be unaffected by changes and maybe even helped slightly due to having more people financially eligible for hearing screenings/rehab and less hoops to get them through our doors. Please guys, if I'm completely wrong on this feel free to jump in; I'm by no means an expert.

I talked with the AuD a little more and got a little more clarification. A million dollars in billing does not mean a million dollars collected. For example, his clinic bills 117 for hearing test and tymps but Medicare only pays $43.

I talked with the AuD a little more and got a little more clarification. A million dollars in billing does not mean a million dollars collected. For example, his clinic bills 117 for hearing test and tymps but Medicare only pays $43.

Interesting...so what does that make his yearly salary (ballpark)?

It depends on what setting you are working in. If you work in a school setting you are going to be making a lot less than having your own practice. For the past 2 years I have been assisting a successful private practice, his income is about $300,000.