Financial Assistance for historically underrespresented group in the field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuDboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am Asian American, and i know that we are not under rerepsented in the field of dentistry, pharmacy, and others, but I think I may be for Audiology. If this is the case, are there funding opportunties for low income people that are racially different? On this note, when you enter a AuD program out of state, are out of state tuition waived becuase we are enrolled in a doctorate program? How do most of you finance for school? Where are you studying at the moment? Given the current economic situation, how generous is your school with financial assistance? And i don't mean loans. Please advise

Members don't see this ad.

I am Asian American, and i know that we are not under rerepsented in the field of dentistry, pharmacy, and others, but I think I may be for Audiology. If this is the case, are there funding opportunties for low income people that are racially different? On this note, when you enter a AuD program out of state, are out of state tuition waived becuase we are enrolled in a doctorate program? How do most of you finance for school? Where are you studying at the moment? Given the current economic situation, how generous is your school with financial assistance? And i don't mean loans. Please advise

I can't comment on funding for under-represented populations. I do know that most schools will not give you in-state tuition unless there is a reason (ie. you have an assistanceship/stipend). If they do not give you in-state tuition, chances are you won't be able to get it while you're attending because a lot of states list education as one of the reasons you could live there for years and never be granted residency. Check into the specific states you're considering for more information; the admissions department could answer those questions.

I have not been offered any funding, but I am trying to get both feet in the door for first-pick when research monies become available. Most of my tuition will probably come from loan money. I am one of those over-represented populations: white, middle class, female. I've never been given any substantial amount of federal aid, although my parents do not have the money to help pay for my tuition (nor have they ever).

Being male and a minority may get your application a nod or a shove into the maybe pile from the get-go, but I doubt there will be special decreases in tuition for it.

You could look into minority scholarships though and see if one is offered. Several exist for graduate and undergraduate programs of several types.

That would probably be your best bet.

As for paying in-state tuition rates as an out-of-state student, that's not likely to happen.

Your best bet would be if you are gung ho about starting a program in a different state would be to start your first year and after you've met the residency requirements (usually 1 year, but some states it's 6 months), apply to the graduate office to be given in-state tuition rates and a resident.

I've seen several students do this in Audiology, and some for speech-language pathology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your best bet would be if you are gung ho about starting a program in a different state would be to start your first year and after you've met the residency requirements (usually 1 year, but some states it's 6 months), apply to the graduate office to be given in-state tuition rates and a resident.

I've seen several students do this in Audiology, and some for speech-language pathology.

Man, I wish this applied to Iowa. If I never get a paid teaching/research assistanceship, I'm out up to 8+ years of out-of-state tuition!

i think minorities are underrepresented in the field, but that's just my perception which could be skewed. i live in DC where african-americans were the majority up until the 2010 census, so i'm used to encountering more people of minorities than not. both my personal doctor and dentist here are black.

in my AuD program there seems to be around 20% minority students (just an estimate) including african-american, asian, hispanic, and native american. it certainly does not match the demographics of DC, but then again the program draws students nationally and not just from the area.

prior to grad school i completed my prereq's at an historically black college in DC (the University of the District of Columbia) and the majority of my classmates were black (as you would guess), but it was a public school serving the district. i think that most of them went on to become SLPs.

the only scholarship i know of for minorities is from ASHA. several of my classmates have attended the ASHA conferences for free because of a minority students leadership scholarship they have. i don't know of other scholarships but then again i've never looked into it since i'm white.

i attend gallaudet and it is a federally-chartered school. the tuition is less than it would be for private or out-of-state if you are a US resident, but if you're foreign it's pretty expensive.

most of my classmates pay for school with a combination of grants, scholarships, and loans. many people are on a US training grant from the federal government to become pediatric audiologists which pays for tuition. when we finish school there is a service requirement (work 8 years with kids). last year i also got around $4000 in scholarships from gallaudet. living expenses were paid for with loans, and the cost of living is pretty high here. a couple people have teaching positions where they teach a class a semester (including summer), receive a tuition waiver, and get a $10,000 stipend annually. it's typically only available to people after their first year. many first-year students receive a tuition waiver for their first year, but then pay full tuition for the following years.

i attend gallaudet and it is a federally-chartered school. the tuition is less than it would be for private or out-of-state if you are a US resident, but if you're foreign it's pretty expensive.

most of my classmates pay for school with a combination of grants, scholarships, and loans. many people are on a US training grant from the federal government to become pediatric audiologists which pays for tuition. when we finish school there is a service requirement (work 8 years with kids). last year i also got around $4000 in scholarships from gallaudet. living expenses were paid for with loans, and the cost of living is pretty high here. a couple people have teaching positions where they teach a class a semester (including summer), receive a tuition waiver, and get a $10,000 stipend annually. it's typically only available to people after their first year. many first-year students receive a tuition waiver for their first year, but then pay full tuition for the following years.
Hey, I'm interested in pediatric audiology and was wondering how the federal training grant works? If it is only offered at certain universities and how I would go about getting more information about it? Also what are the sign language requirements for the audiology program at Gallaudet?
Thanks!

Hey, I'm interested in pediatric audiology and was wondering how the federal training grant works? If it is only offered at certain universities and how I would go about getting more information about it? Also what are the sign language requirements for the audiology program at Gallaudet?
Thanks!

there are several schools that have had the pediatric training grant. schools that have had it in the past include arizona state and vanderbilt that i know of. you would have to check around to see who will have it for when you want to attend. once you identify schools you're interested in you could also contact them to find out what financial support they offer if any.

there is no ASL requirement for admission to gallaudet, although it's recomended. once you are here you are required to take ASL 3 (the third semester in a sequence) or if you're already beyond that level of proficiency, you just have to take one semester of ASL at whatever advanced level you test into. there is also 2 semesters of clinical sign language required as part of the aud curriculum.