Associates Degree - PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently read that there are still 3-4 AS degrees in PA and some existing certificate programs however, I can't seem to locate them.

Does anyone know where they're located at?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't tell you where they're located, although I would just like to tell you that with an associates degree, you won't get a job. Don't limit yourself.

The PA degree will be standardized to a Masters in the upcoming 10 years, make sure you have your bases covered.

Last edited:
I believe there are some in Northern California---one I know for sure.

San Joaquin Junior College is an Associate's Degree program and if I recall correctly both Stanford and UCDavis are certificate?

Have you checked out the PA forum? Lots of good info there.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just like to tell you that with an associated, you won't get a job. Don't limit yourself.

Not really my area of expertise but I'm fairly certain this isn't true.

Can't tell you where they're located, although I would just like to tell you that with an associates degree, you won't get a job. Don't limit yourself.

The PA degree will be standardized to a Masters in the upcoming 10 years, make sure you have your bases covered.
Your information is incorrect. There are two states that require a Masters. Another that requires a masters for prescriptive authority. Two more states require a bachelors for license. There is no difference in job prospects for an associates vs. bachelors. In fact given the reputation of the certificate program the opposite is usually true.

To the OP: The information exists here:
http://paeaonline.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/58730
and here:
http://paeaonline.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/60938

To save you some time its generally the community college programs
San Joaquin Valley
Riverside Community College
Red Rocks Community College
Anne Arundel Community College

Also UC Davis issues a certificate and Stanfords program is through Foothills community college so its also a certificate program.

In general certificate programs will require significantly more medical experience than average. Some of these will also have residency requirements. Also most certificate programs have arrangements with other universities to issue a masters degree to graduates of the program.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Reactions: 1 user
Is it correct that all PA programs will be Masters degrees at some point?

Is it correct that all PA programs will be Masters degrees at some point?
New programs have to grant a graduate degree. Programs accredited before 2013 must grant a graduate degree by 2020 which should be from the institution. So if ARC-PA has their way all PAs graduating after 2020 will have graduate degrees. Unfortunately this means a significant loss of PAs going to rural areas and a further drift from our roots.

David Carpenter, PA-C

Ideally, I would like to complete my pre-PA studies then go right into a PA program.

I don't have clinical experience as any sort of practitioner but do work directly with physicians in healthcare.

I'm not sure if what I'm thinking is actually all that feasible as even some of the AS degrees require you to have BS/BA to enter.

The problem you would have with the AS/cert programs is that they are the ones requiring the most experience as a rule, and it sounds like you have little hands on HCE. You would be better off focusing on a pre-PA regimen, then get a MS at one of the many grad degree PA programs.....