Astronomy and Geology for DIY postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jole89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated 2018 with a 2.84 science GPA and 3.04 cGPA, according to AACOMAS. I was a bio sci major so most of the classes that are recommended for DIY postbaccs, I've already taken as upperdivs and done well in. I will be applying to a formal postbacc program in January but in the mean time I wanted to try and take some courses at my local CC.

I see that AACOMAS lists these under the "other sciences" science GPA courses so this would positively impact my GPA assuming I do well, is that right? Is there any reason why I shouldn't take these?

Descriptive Astronomy

Intro to Kinesiology

Biology of Viruses

Earth Sciences

Introduction to Geology

I also considered taking some UCLA extension science courses but these were just too expensive $800+ and I'm unemployed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nope. Strick to upper level biology or chemistry courses. Intro Geology won't impress an Adcom, even I like the subject personally.

You need BCMP courses for your sGPA

Reactions: 1 user
Do you enjoy mathematics? You can take a calculus based physics course for pre-engineering students. Is there a Microbiology course that you haven't taken?

Do you enjoy mathematics? You can take a calculus based physics course for pre-engineering students. Is there a Microbiology course that you haven't taken?

I wish I had. I am trying to stay away from heavy math/physics.

I've already taken microbio. I have a 3.4 sgpa my senior but my freshman year was a 2.1 sgpa which brings down my overall sgpa to 2.8. Most of the CC upper div classes I've already taken and I don't see a point in taking them again. I will be applying to formal postbacc as soon as those apps open so I will eventually get those done and these "other science" classes would be a little help to get that sgpa above 3.0 so i don't get filtered out.

Last edited: