Astronomy and Geology for DIY postbacc?

Started by Jole89
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jole89

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated 2018 with a 2.84 science GPA and 3.04 cGPA, according to AACOMAS. I was a bio sci major so most of the classes that are recommended for DIY postbaccs, I've already taken as upperdivs and done well in. I will be applying to a formal postbacc program in January but in the mean time I wanted to try and take some courses at my local CC.

I see that AACOMAS lists these under the "other sciences" science GPA courses so this would positively impact my GPA assuming I do well, is that right? Is there any reason why I shouldn't take these?

Descriptive Astronomy

Intro to Kinesiology

Biology of Viruses

Earth Sciences

Introduction to Geology


I also considered taking some UCLA extension science courses but these were just too expensive $800+ and I'm unemployed.
 
Last edited:
Do you enjoy mathematics? You can take a calculus based physics course for pre-engineering students. Is there a Microbiology course that you haven't taken?
 
Do you enjoy mathematics? You can take a calculus based physics course for pre-engineering students. Is there a Microbiology course that you haven't taken?


I wish I had. I am trying to stay away from heavy math/physics.


I've already taken microbio. I have a 3.4 sgpa my senior but my freshman year was a 2.1 sgpa which brings down my overall sgpa to 2.8. Most of the CC upper div classes I've already taken and I don't see a point in taking them again. I will be applying to formal postbacc as soon as those apps open so I will eventually get those done and these "other science" classes would be a little help to get that sgpa above 3.0 so i don't get filtered out.
 
Last edited: