at a crossroads - need some suggestions.

Started by Gnisir
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gnisir

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I am about to start graduate school for speech-language pathology full time in the fall. I have no loans from undergrad and have only taken one SLP graduate course. I feel like I spent more time this summer looking on "How to go to med school" websites than I did preparing for graduate school. I have always wanted to go to med school but have been swayed to the most "secure" profession by everyone around me. The classes come easily and there will always be SLP jobs. But now, Im at a turning point. I have no loans from undergrad and assistantship all lined up for graduate school. It seems only logical financially to follow this natural progression. Problem is, I dont like it. I just dont. I spent all of undergrad doing speech and hearing. Im almost 25 (took some time off after undergrad). I even have an apartment all lined up - no lease signed yet, though. My family thinks I'm a little insane for STILL talking about medical school. I just cant imagine myself spending the next two years pursuing a graduate degree Im not passionate about. Just not sure how to go about this financially and convince people that Im not crazy - just motivated to take a chance and do what I love.
 
Hi everyone,
I am about to start graduate school for speech-language pathology full time in the fall. I have no loans from undergrad and have only taken one SLP graduate course. I feel like I spent more time this summer looking on "How to go to med school" websites than I did preparing for graduate school. I have always wanted to go to med school but have been swayed to the most "secure" profession by everyone around me. The classes come easily and there will always be SLP jobs. But now, Im at a turning point. I have no loans from undergrad and assistantship all lined up for graduate school. It seems only logical financially to follow this natural progression. Problem is, I dont like it. I just dont. I spent all of undergrad doing speech and hearing. Im almost 25 (took some time off after undergrad). I even have an apartment all lined up - no lease signed yet, though. My family thinks I'm a little insane for STILL talking about medical school. I just cant imagine myself spending the next two years pursuing a graduate degree Im not passionate about. Just not sure how to go about this financially and convince people that Im not crazy - just motivated to take a chance and do what I love.

If you don't want to do SLP or work in SLP, then don't pursue graduate study in something that you don't want to study or don't want to practice. If medical school is your goal, then find a way to work and get yourself prepared for medical school. If you enter a graduate program, most medical schools will expect you to finish your degree before considering you for acceptance.

There are SMP(Special Masters Programs) programs out there that essentially allow you to take the same coursework as first-year medical students which will allow you to hone your interest in medicine and prove yourself academically. These programs may be an option (expensive) that you might want to look into.

Otherwise, find some employment that will enable you to get yourself in the best competitive state for getting into medical school. Good luck!
 
Hi everyone,
I am about to start graduate school for speech-language pathology full time in the fall. I have no loans from undergrad and have only taken one SLP graduate course. I feel like I spent more time this summer looking on "How to go to med school" websites than I did preparing for graduate school. I have always wanted to go to med school but have been swayed to the most "secure" profession by everyone around me. The classes come easily and there will always be SLP jobs. But now, Im at a turning point. I have no loans from undergrad and assistantship all lined up for graduate school. It seems only logical financially to follow this natural progression. Problem is, I dont like it. I just dont. I spent all of undergrad doing speech and hearing. Im almost 25 (took some time off after undergrad). I even have an apartment all lined up - no lease signed yet, though. My family thinks I'm a little insane for STILL talking about medical school. I just cant imagine myself spending the next two years pursuing a graduate degree Im not passionate about. Just not sure how to go about this financially and convince people that Im not crazy - just motivated to take a chance and do what I love.
Well, you've got your answer right in your 2nd to last sentence. If you feel like that right now, just imagine how your sentiments will be after you've actually committed to the program. Cut your losses now and let someone else more passionate about the field have the chance of getting into the program.

I think you just didn't fully explore possible career options as an undergrad. Nothing wrong with that since it takes most everyone the majority of their lifetime to figure who they are as a person and where they fit in society.

If your family and close friends aren't supportive of your decision to pursue a healthcare career, then so be it. Remember you've got to make yourself happy first before anyone else. Sounds selfish but it's true because when you've found something you're passionate about and are happy to make a living at it, it'll show in the quality of your work. Surround yourself with individuals who are non-traditional pre-meds so that you can support and motivate each other through the arduous process.

Like in the previous post, find a full/part-time job and do your pre-med requisite courses if you haven't already. Talk to a pre-med advisor at your university or even your personal physician, if you have one, on how to go about pursuing medicine for a career. It's up to you to utilize the available resources.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, you've got your answer right in your 2nd to last sentence. If you feel like that right now, just imagine how your sentiments will be after you've actually committed to the program. Cut your losses now and let someone else more passionate about the field have the chance of getting into the program.

I think you just didn't fully explore possible career options as an undergrad. Nothing wrong with that since it takes most everyone the majority of their lifetime to figure who they are as a person and where they fit in society.

If your family and close friends aren't supportive of your decision to pursue a healthcare career, then so be it. Remember you've got to make yourself happy first before anyone else. Sounds selfish but it's true because when you've found something you're passionate about and are happy to make a living at it, it'll show in the quality of your work. Surround yourself with individuals who are non-traditional pre-meds so that you can support and motivate each other through the arduous process.

Like in the previous post, find a full/part-time job and do your pre-med requisite courses if you haven't already. Talk to a pre-med advisor at your university or even your personal physician, if you have one, on how to go about pursuing medicine for a career. It's up to you to utilize the available resources.

This is good advice.
Surround yourself with encouraging people (SDN is good for this) 👍
Don't give up on your dream because of what someone else thinks.

Like Yogi Berra said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!" 😀

Good luck!
 
OK, so maybe if you do the master's you could find that you love it. That is a big if. Your family sounds like your major reason for doing it. Remember grad school is more than a 40 hour a week job. You have to really want it of you will not be happy. You have said that you have had these feelings for a long time, it sounds like you need to trust them. If you don't try, you will always have that part of you that will wonder. It may be hard to back out now but it will be even more difficult if you start school (or graduate and get a job). Only you know what you want and it is you who has to live with your decisions. Clearly your family has a different set of beliefs and things that are important to them. If you do break now, hopefully they will be more supportive when they see you happier living as you wish to live.
 
One of the previous posters said it best, if you hate it now imagine what you feel like after two more years of uninteresting SLP classes. I am in a similar situation now. Don't worry about your family and friends, because they aren't going to be living your unhappy, unfulfilled life. You are 25 which is pretty young even though it may not feel like it. Go for medical school.
 
It is scary to walk away from a "sure/secure" situation. But, if you know in your heart that SLP is not what you want to do, then don't think of it in terms of giving up a great opportunity. It is not so great if you think that you'll be unhappy. I sometimes think of the moment when I definitively decided to change careers as the moment that I took the steering wheel and started directing my course with greater purpose (as oppose to allowing life's winds and currents to push me along).

That said, it is advisable to think through the reasons why SLP does not appeal, while medicine does. What do you hope to gain/enjoy about practicing medicine over SLP? Once you have figured out that, I guess the next question is: are the time and financial commitment required to get into and complete medschool and residency acceptable to you (in terms of your other life goals, plans)? I ask you that because, as a nontrad student, you may have to support yourself during this process, and it is important to plan ahead so you can successfully balance the pre-med requirements/EC's, social/family commitments, and financial obligations to creditors, etc. For some people, this is not a problem, but for others this is a big challenge, and requires a lot of sacrifices (or at least putting some things off for awhile), which you may, or may not, be ok with.

What is your timeline for making this decision? If you don't think that you can withdraw completely from the program without a specific plan in place, can you defer for a year, while you explore your options/see what you need to do to make yourself a strong applicant for medschool? Once you understand what needs to be done, then maybe it will become clear whether applying to medschool is something you will be able, and as importantly WANT to, do.

Don't let your family and friends make you doubt yourself. Once you know what is right for you, go for it!

I wish you the best, whatever you decide.