AT Still vs. Midwestern - Which one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

exmissionary

For starters... I haven't applied yet but... I am confident that I want to apply to somewhere in the south western part of the USA. My general gpa is a 3.4 and my science a 3.5. I got a 25 on the MCAT. I'm dedicated to a good understanding and ability to practice general medicine but am tempted by the higher salaries of such specialities as dermatology. My top location is Arizona but... I would like to know if anyone has opinions on the positive and negative attributes of each of the two osteopathic schools in the state.

Members don't see this ad.

One thing to consider is the curriculum differences between the two. SOMA you have earlier clinical exposure but most of second year is distance-learning, while AZCOM is more traditional.
Though, in the long run, would it really hurt to just apply to both, and make your decision if you happen to get accepted to both programs?

Apply to both. You're going to learn much more about the schools if you get the opportunity to make an interview visit. My own 'top choice' list changed dramatically after some of my visits.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both, interviewed at both and got accepted by both...Ultimately I went with Midwestern. I guess it depends on what you want in life. With ATSU, you'll be out of that place in 1 year and off to one of the various locations throughout the US....major downside for me personally.

Midwestern on the other hand, although more expensive, was a more traditional school with a "traditional" looking campus and whatnot.

I agree with the above posters, apply to both THEN make a decision....but also look at it this way.......if you go to Midwestern, you can still help out in rural areas and focus on community clinics OR you can do one of those badass specialties like radiology/derm or whatever...BUT if you go to ATSU, their curriculum and rotations are in such a way that it'll be more difficult than midwestern to get a competitive residency.

Also, the fact that ATSU campus looked like a bunch of office buildings didn't help much...lol

Once again, apply to both, and if you get in....then you can start thinking about it.

I applied to both, got interviews to both, went on my ATSU-SOMA interview first and decided to drop my AZCOM interview after I got accepted because I fell in love with the school on my interview. Yes, campus isn't a bunch of old buildings all spread out on campus. Rather there are just a few large very modern buildings stocked up with all sorts of really cool technology (like sim people). I saw the CHCs as a huge plus since you get to start clinicals an entire year before other schools. I also really liked the systems based approach as compared to the traditional class system at both midwesterns (I applied to ccom too).

I would apply to both. Your stats aren't bad, but word has it that this year ATSU has gotten quite a bit more competitive than it was before. I had a 3.85 cgpa and a 3.75 sgpa, 26 mcat, and a lot of ECs, a lot of volunteering for non-profits, I'm a CNA, i have clinical experience, etc and I got accepted 3 days after my interview...but I talked to others who had pretty good stats and were rejected. Apply to both EARLY. I think that is key :)

In the long run they are both good schools. Your chances of getting a good residency won't be hampered either way, it is up to how much work you put into your education/how well you do on boards, etc.

If you apply to both, go interview to the ones you are invited to. ATSU was actually my last choice until I learned more about their program at my interview. I am so glad that I gave it a shot..otherwise I would have no idea what I'll be missing (in just a month!!).

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to both, interviewed at both and got accepted by both...Ultimately I went with Midwestern. I guess it depends on what you want in life. With ATSU, you'll be out of that place in 1 year and off to one of the various locations throughout the US....major downside for me personally.

Midwestern on the other hand, although more expensive, was a more traditional school with a "traditional" looking campus and whatnot.
I did what this guy did. Yes, apply to both, hopefully you get an interview from both and from there, you'll have more to work with in making a decision.

Last edited:
Hello,
Quick question...I just made a 25 on my MCAT and I have a 3.2 GPA from Arizona State with a B.S. in genetics. I've had research experience and I worked as a CNA in a children's hospital for 1.5 years. My volunteer experience has been around 50 hours in the E.R. and other things such as volunteering in the nursing home where my g-pa was....Other than that I have shadowed three different docs...

What are my chances for AZCOM or SOMA???
Thank u!!

Hello,
Quick question...I just made a 25 on my MCAT and I have a 3.2 GPA from Arizona State with a B.S. in genetics. I've had research experience and I worked as a CNA in a children's hospital for 1.5 years. My volunteer experience has been around 50 hours in the E.R. and other things such as volunteering in the nursing home where my g-pa was....Other than that I have shadowed three different docs...

What are my chances for AZCOM or SOMA???
Thank u!!

I would think you should apply early. Next year. And broadly. My gpa (is shown on this site) & Mcat got me an interview at SOMA and got wait-listed at Midwestern. Try raising your GPA and/or MCAT or applying very very broadly. Even then, try raising one or both scores. With my early applying and filling out secondaries for 20 schools I got 6 interviews. 2 schools waitlisted me. 1 school accepted me, SOMA I have yet to hear back from, I canceled one interview and may or may not do the last interview.