At this point, when would I interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FROGGBUSTER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools have already received my application but are waiting on my DAT scores. I took it two days ago, so it is on the way.

Can someone give me an estimate of when I would interview for schools?

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

I m going to say post Dec i.e. Jan or Feb at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a link on this forum somewhere to a site where you enter in all your info and it gives you an accurate estimate of when you'll hear from schools, when they interview you, your chances of being accepted, etc.

There is no magical formula.

I m going to say post Dec i.e. Jan or Feb at this point.

I don't agree. He has fantastic stats and will have his app complete before some schools give out a single interview. I'd say to expect several pre-dec. interviews.

There's a link on this forum somewhere to a site where you enter in all your info and it gives you an accurate estimate of when you'll hear from schools, when they interview you, your chances of being accepted, etc.

There is no magical formula.

lols I just wanted to hear from a few people to get their opinions bro. You're going to make a terrific health-care provider, I can tell. :rolleyes:

I don't agree. He has fantastic stats and will have his app complete before some schools give out a single interview. I'd say to expect several pre-dec. interviews.

Why would having high stats help you in securing an earlier interview though? I would imagine they give priority to the guys who get their apps in earliest.

Why would having high stats help you in securing an earlier interview though? I would imagine they give priority to the guys who get their apps in earliest.

Well, your app isn't late, and your stats are in the top 5%. I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, how's that.

I actually kinda agree with Golfguy. A lot of people had their applications on hold instead of getting an interview. I guess it would be the case for schools that aren't on a rolling basis. For schools that are on a rolling basis, probably post-dec interviews are coming in your way. But with your stats, I think most schools would give you a pre-dec interview. It really depends.

[UOTE=KittySquared;11429795]I m going to say post Dec i.e. Jan or Feb ;[p at this point.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say this? I know someone is going to mention something for me saying this again, but I'll say it again anyways. I submitted my application in mid-Sept and had al my interviews by mid-Nov which was in time to get all my acceptance letters at the Dec 1st selections.

I don't know why everyone assumes you are going to get a post-Dec 1st interview at this point. I guess chaulk it up to inexperience or poor stats.

Why do you say this? I know someone is going to mention something for me saying this again, but I'll say it again anyways. I submitted my application in mid-Sept and had al my interviews by mid-Nov which was in time to get all my acceptance letters at the Dec 1st selections.

I don't know why everyone assumes you are going to get a post-Dec 1st interview at this point. I guess chaulk it up to inexperience or poor stats.

Wow, okay, that's a super-quick turn-around time.

It's just that some schools are REALLY favoring the early ones. I call it rolling at the speed of light admissions. If you're out of state and apply post Aug, Case is out of the question even if you have great stats. Schools like UNLV and Case definitely prefer early June to end of June type of applicants. And Pitt is no longer interviewing students post December. If you don't get an interview prior to Dec, there wil. not be interviews for you at Pitt. The admin just decided on that this Spring.

I bet you frog will get some interviews prior to Dec as well, but for some schools, they're already backed up to late Jan/Feb already. I'm telling the truth, Jebus.

Don't worry Frog, plenty of people haven't even submitted AADSAS yet. Your stats will get you in somewhere fer shizzle. You got plenty of ponds to choose from I'm sure.

It's just that some schools are REALLY favoring the early ones. I call it rolling at the speed of light admissions. If you're out of state and apply post Aug, Case is out of the question even if you have great stats. Schools like UNLV and Case definitely prefer early June to end of June type of applicants. And Pitt is no longer interviewing students post December. If you don't get an interview prior to Dec, there wil. not be interviews for you at Pitt. The admin just decided on that this Spring.

I bet you frog will get some interviews prior to Dec as well, but for some schools, they're already backed up to late Jan/Feb already. I'm telling the truth, Jebus.

Don't worry Frog, plenty of people haven't even submitted AADSAS yet. Your stats will get you in somewhere fer shizzle. You got plenty of ponds to choose from I'm sure.

Kitty, maybe you should have been more specific in your first post because had you typed this post, I wouldn't have been totally against your post. But, as you had stated, you mentioned probably Jan or Feb next year. That is simply not the truth. I will not deny that some schools will be filled up, BUT every single one of the schools I applied to gave me interviews by mid-Nov.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kitty, maybe you should have been more specific in your first post because had you typed this post, I wouldn't have been totally against your post. But, as you had stated, you mentioned probably Jan or Feb next year. That is simply not the truth. I will not deny that some schools will be filled up, BUT every single one of the schools I applied to gave me interviews by mid-Nov.
I'm also a pessimist by nature. I'd hate to tell Frog that he'll be getting interviews in November and he actually doesn't land any until post Dec. If he's anything like me, a threshold of hope can keep me sleepless night after night and get ulcers from being disappointed. I think Frog can res assured that he will be getting some invites around Jan and Feb the absolute safest.

I know someone who got a 25 on his DAT, 3.9 GPA... he applied to 8 schools and he had a couple of interviews before december...he was accepted to 7 of them (only one he didn't hear back from was Stony Brook because he was out of state). Oh and he took his DAT at the very end of August. Relax. Wait it out. I want interviews already too ;/.

my point is: with stats that high even if you apply late you are going to get in.

I'm also a pessimist by nature. I'd hate to tell Frog that he'll be getting interviews in November and he actually doesn't land any until post Dec. If he's anything like me, a threshold of hope can keep me sleepless night after night and get ulcers from being disappointed. I think Frog can res assured that he will be getting some invites around Jan and Feb the absolute safest.

And I look at it the other way. I get tired of people saying things don't happen one way when I know they do. When I tell people that I had all my interviews by mid-Nov after my application was sent to schools in mid-Sept, in no way is that telling them they will get an interview. It does tell them there is definitely a chance for them to get an interview before the cutoff for the Dec 1st selection. When I see posts like your saying that if submitted at this time they can expect to see invites for Jan or Feb interviews, I need to correct this potential misinformation especially when the OP has awesome stats.

And I look at it the other way. I get tired of people saying things don't happen one way when I know they do. When I tell people that I had all my interviews by mid-Nov after my application was sent to schools in mid-Sept, in no way is that telling them they will get an interview. It does tell them there is definitely a chance for them to get an interview before the cutoff for the Dec 1st selection. When I see posts like your saying that if submitted at this time they can expect to see invites for Jan or Feb interviews, I need to correct this potential misinformation especially when the OP has awesome stats.

I think this squabble is unnecessary. Neither of you are wrong and neither gave misinformation. Depending on what schools he applies to, he CAN expect interviews that late since they're pre-Dec interview slots fill up early. He can ALSO expect pre-Dec interviews for schools that aren't like that. Moral is-you have GREAT stats and can hope to get interviews for almost all the schools you apply to, but dates will vary. Good luck!

Expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed. I'm speaking from personal experience.

+1

Navy DDS bringing sanity to the rumor chamber of SDN.

Frogger, in my completely unprofessional and worthless opinion I would say you have nothing to worry about. Great job on your DAT and good luck.

Most schools have already received my application but are waiting on my DAT scores. I took it two days ago, so it is on the way.

Thanks so much.

for me:
-DAT taken 7/2
-Most schools gave me the "Application Complete...will be reviewed" e-mails starting 7/25 until today (western)
-1 interview from a school that has started scheduling interviews so far

You're probably tired from studying for the DAT but just push through the secondaries ASAP and you're setting yourself up for the best shot at whatever schools you applied to (if I remember correctly you've got a 3.9/25AA).

You're fine. Even if your interviews are a little later (clearly your stats make up for this, and you likely won't be relegated to wait list purgatory). Besides, I've never read anywhere (on official dental school sites) that August is late, in fact the ones that do indicate recommended dates other than the basic deadlines, seem to suggest September (ex: UoP) all the way up to November (ex: Nebraska).

why would you guys tell the poor kid he won't have any interviews before december? lol thats messed up brah.

there is probably a higher chance that you will have a pre-december interview as opposed to a post-december interview (i.e. expect more before december). Thank you.

[UOTE=KittySquared;11429795]I m going to say post Dec i.e. Jan or Feb ;[p at this point.

I don't know why everyone assumes you are going to get a post-Dec 1st interview at this point. I guess chaulk it up to inexperience or poor stats.[/QUOTE]

Were you a non-traditional applicant with kids at this point? That could have very well played in your favor. Case and Midwestern AZ have already filled up their pre-December interviews and it's only early August. I, along with a large number of people on here, have not received any notice about interviews and a lot of us were in the first, second, third, and fourth batches. Personally, I was in the second batch and my application hasn't even been reviewed yet by many schools; so, I can only imagine how many more applications are ahead of Froggbusters. I don't think post-December interviews are that farfetched given this timeline.

Thanks so much.

I think everyone on SDN is kind of scrambling... praying... robbing... shooting... threatening adcoms... for an interview right now.

Pick and choose which method you'd like to use :laugh:

From what I've read, Case and MW-AZ are special cases in their offers for interviews, in that they're incredibly early compared to the majority of dental schools. Would you really base your answer to the OP on those two schools alone?

Were you a non-traditional applicant with kids at this point? That could have very well played in your favor. Case and Midwestern AZ have already filled up their pre-December interviews and it's only early August. I, along with a large number of people on here, have not received any notice about interviews and a lot of us were in the first, second, third, and fourth batches. Personally, I was in the second batch and my application hasn't even been reviewed yet by many schools; so, I can only imagine how many more applications are ahead of Froggbusters. I don't think post-December interviews are that farfetched given this timeline.
Precisely. I'm glad SOMEONE doesn't think I'm insane. The application isn't always so straightforward. Invictus has some REALLY amazing DAT scores and GPA and a strong application. He's in first batch as well but people with significantly less stellar stats have gotten interviews and he still hasn't from the same schools. This is anecdotal, but it's true.

Yes it's important to be hopeful and positive, but it's like the dozens of 2.8GPA 17TS hopefuls who think they're really going to get into D-schools. Prob has happened, but what makes everyone think s/he is that lucky one? Good luck with such a slim chance.

All I'm saying is the Jan/Feb is a pretty solid certainty for Frog. Schools have already received apps from thousands of applicants already at this point. It's not hard to imagine that along with Case and Midwestern, MANY schools' November interviews are already filled out or will be in the next week or two.

Last edited:
Frog, your life is good man. If I'm you I would go smoke some weed and chill til December 1st admission offer comes.

By the way, are most secondary apps online, or by snail mail? I'm planning to hit up Vegas next weekend, might not b able to receive snail mails.

If you read one of my recent posts, you can see that that I have applied to d-school twice - 1995 and 2005. Both times were either in AUG or Sept. One was as a new college graduate from a small, podunk 4 yr state college in the middle of nowhere and the other as a married non-trad student who had not been in an form of collegiate level education since withdrawing from dental school on 1997. In both instances, I applied to 8+ schools (first time because I knew nothing about applying to schools and was out of state and the other was because I felt even with great stats I may have screwed my chances with some schools since I had previously been in d-school and withdrew and even though I was a Texas resident at that point.) In each instance I was interviewed at each school I applied to and was offered a slot during that first cycle. My point of stating this is because the scenarios of my life were much different during each application cycle but the outcome was the same even though I applied 'late' as so many people would like to claim.

Precisely. I'm glad SOMEONE doesn't think I'm insane. The application isn't always so straightforward. Invictus has some REALLY amazing DAT scores and GPA and a strong application. He's in first batch as well but people with significantly less stellar stats have gotten interviews and he still hasn't from the same schools. This is anecdotal, but it's true.

Yes it's important to be hopeful and positive, but it's like the dozens of 2.8GPA 17TS hopefuls who think they're really going to get into D-schools. Prob has happened, but what makes everyone think s/he is that lucky one? Good luck with such a slim chance.

All I'm saying is the Jan/Feb is a pretty solid certainty for Frog. Schools have already received apps from thousands of applicants already at this point. It's not hard to imagine that along with Case and Midwestern, MANY schools' November interviews are already filled out or will be in the next week or two.

Miss Kitty, if you look at one of my posts in this thread in response toyour response, you can see I don't dispute everything you say including agreeing there are schools that have their interviews filled at least for the pre-Dec 1st selections. But, there are still plenty of schools that leave open slots for people who they feel would be good candidates. I have disputed this many times in the past. I have even mentioned how if you are applying in late Aug or Sept and can get one of those interview slots that are open, you will need to have competitive stats. No, a 2.8 with 17AA is not going to get one of them. Does that mean they will not get an interview at all during the year? No, because I have seen it happen with someone with similar stats who got accepted without having someone who is a relative tied to the adcom or the school.

I have to say this Miss Kitty, I feel so sorry for you. You really are a Negative Nancy as you said yourself. To go through life expecting the worst so you don't have to deal with disappointment. You really must live a very drab life. Ask anyone who excels in life and they will tell you they set their goals to levels high. They are not afraid to fail. One of my favorite quotes comes from Michael Jordan "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

I have to say this Miss Kitty, I feel so sorry for you. You really are a Negative Nancy as you said yourself. To go through life expecting the worst so you don't have to deal with disappointment. You really must live a very drab life. Ask anyone who excels in life and they will tell you they set their goals to levels high. They are not afraid to fail. One of my favorite quotes comes from Michael Jordan “I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”
Why you gotta put down my philosophy on life like that. You're blowing things out of proportion just like the way you blow success stories out of proportion. I'm just very practical, realistic and with a dash of healthy pessimism. I don't walk across the street expecting to get hit by a car, but there's nothing wrong with preparing yourself emotionally for the worst for potentially life changing events like applying to grad school. Setting goals high is a good thing, but there are circumstances beyond your control and you can't always have it your way. I think you're overly enthusiastic about some of the anecdotal stories of success. Good for inspiration, but not always practical.

It's the GO FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS, YOU CAN BE ANYTHING YOU WANT IN LIFE type of attitude that's ruining this country. But who am I to say. We live in America and we are livin' the dream. Making $20,000 a year and still want that 6 bedroom house with 3 full baths, a tennis court, a swimming pool and an 1 acre forest in the backyard? No problem! Follow your heart and go for it! Just borrow from the bank. Oy... :scared:

Frog, your life is good man. If I'm you I would go smoke some weed and chill til December 1st admission offer comes.

By the way, are most secondary apps online, or by snail mail? I'm planning to hit up Vegas next weekend, might not b able to receive snail mails.
The only ones that have sent me secondaries by snail mail were Penn and Nebraska. The rest that sent snail mail stuff were pamphlets about the school.

You guys are thinking way too deep into this, especially since it involves speculation about how the adcoms work at each school...

Thus, I must re-emphasize my point.

I think everyone on SDN is kind of scrambling... praying... robbing... shooting... threatening adcoms... for an interview right now.

Pick and choose which method you'd like to use :laugh:

There is nothing further that you can do for yourself, except sit there and wait for stuff to happen...

You guys are thinking way too deep into this, especially since it involves speculation about how the adcoms work at each school...

Thus, I must re-emphasize my point.

There is nothing further that you can do for yourself, except sit there and wait for stuff to happen...

We heard you the first time buddy :p

i had a question to what frogger asked.. (sorry forgot the name) about why one would get pre-dec interviews with good stats? Isn't it first come first serve basis?? So the earlier you turn your application in the earlier you hear from them, not based on scores? im confused... can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

i had a question to what frogger asked.. (sorry forgot the name) about why one would get pre-dec interviews with good stats? Isn't it first come first serve basis?? So the earlier you turn your application in the earlier you hear from them, not based on scores? im confused... can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

To be brutally honest...

We don't know because we can only speculate. What is the perfect analogy for this example? A blind man knowing that he is blind, goes out to buy a seeing eye dog to guide him but little does he know that the dog he bought was also blind.

And no Mr. Polar Bear, not everyone heard me!

To be brutally honest...

We don't know because we can only speculate. What is the perfect analogy for this example? A blind man knowing that he is blind, goes out to buy a seeing eye dog to guide him but little does he know that the dog he bought was also blind.

And no Mr. Polar Bear, not everyone heard me!
THANK YOU! :thumbup:

rofl your post reminded me to google "how do blind people dream" and "can blind people dream in color"

I like the blind analogy.. but I think for many it's comforting to get some reassurance :p

What's ridiculous is that the folks saying he'll get primarily post-dec. interviews use two schools out of 60 as their evidence.