At what point is it weird to not have heard back post-interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcemt1

Reaction score
I interviewed at a non-MSTP MD-PhD program in late October, was admitted to the school MD- only in mid November and was told the MD-PhD decision would come later and haven’t heard anything since (from the MD-PhD program).

I sent an update letter in December (also stating how much I liked the program/interview) and don’t have any new substantive updates, but would it be worth reaching out to admissions/writing a letter of intent (this would be my top choice) at this point ? Or should I just wait it out?

I’m just starting to get paranoid that I missed an email at some point

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools aren't doing rolling admissions this cycle either, so you might want to also check if they've sent out any decisions at all! I know VCU, for example, usually does rolling admissions, but this year they told me they switched to just deciding everything all at once (with a quiet apology to early interviewers).

Reactions: 1 user
I do not understand rolling admissions. They create lots of unneeded stress for smart people, people, who need to be productively working.
IMHO, what an idiotic idea.

The admissions system that was created is horrible. Stress, gap years. In the end, we have people who are too tired that they just withdraw. We need to change it. It is just not fair for the best of us.

Another problem I see with admissions is "diversity". Another questionable approach. In my opinion, when it comes to science, why should I care about the race of people working with me? I just want to have great colleagues so that we can be more productive together. When it comes to music - I believe that one needs to stand up when playing the violin, but Perlman is sitting when he plays. Still, I would rather listen to him than somebody else.

Last edited:
MSTP admissions can not resemble MD admissions. We are talking about a much higher level of applicants, who deserve to be treated better.

I just remembered Northwestern's rejection letter that was discussed online a couple of weeks ago - another example of how the system is bad in my opinion

I do not understand rolling admissions. They create lots of unneeded stress for smart people, people, who need to be productively working.

The admissions system that was created is horrible. Stress, gap years. In the end, we have people who are too tired that they just withdraw. We need to change it. It is just not fair for the best of us.

Another problem I see with admissions is "diversity". Another questionable approach. In my opinion, when it comes to science, why should I care about the race of people working with me? I just want to have great colleagues so that we can be more productive together. When it comes to music - I believe that one needs to stand up when playing the violin, but Perlman is sitting when he plays. Still, I would rather listen to him than somebody else.
Please tell me how a focus on diversity negatively impacts your ability to succeed as a physician-scientist...

I finished up my cycle and will be matriculating at a T5 MSTP. I have interviewed with many "diverse" (in your words) applicants, and I have never felt that they weren't qualified to be there. Science is a community-based endeavor, and we should be doing everything we can to ensure that academia is as diverse as the society it draws from. It is vital that we continue to encourage participation from those under-represented in science and medicine, and I sincerely feel that attitudes like yours are the reason why science is as racially- and ethnically-unbalanced as it is today.

EDIT: I just noticed that you are a woman interested in pursuing an MD-PhD. If it were not for academia-wide efforts to increase the inclusion of women in STEM fields (which still have a long ways to go) that were started long before you and I were born, academia today would mostly consist of old white men. I have a hard time reconciling how you can turn around and claim that diversity is a problem when you yourself have likely benefitted (directly or indirectly) from such community-wide initiatives yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
MSTP admissions can not resemble MD admissions. We are talking about a much higher level of applicants, who deserve to be treated better.

I just remembered Northwestern's rejection letter that was discussed online a couple of weeks ago - another example of how the system is bad in my opinion
You sound very entitled.

Reactions: 1 users

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to add on to what amethyst131 has mentioned - Medicine has historically (and with some continuing on to today) had some very negative effect on minority groups and the remnants of this continues to impact medicine and how the public perceives medicine. As a result, many minorities tend to feel more comfortable around physicians that are from groups that they can relate to and having physicians from diverse backgrounds not only supports these patients, but public health in general. I also want to emphasize what amethyst131 has mentioned - during my interview cycle, I have never met a "diverse" applicant who was not deserving to be there (for the record, as someone who classifies as ORM, I felt the least qualified in many of my interviews - and this is before imposter syndrome!). With how medicine is quickly growing to become more interdisciplinary, it is incredibly important to bring together people from all types of backgrounds and all walks of life in order to advance medicine for all. With all this said though, I don't want to come off as if I'm "bashing" you - I don't think you have any ill-intention but I encourage you to explore the different backgrounds of your peers. During your application cycle, I hope you have the chance to meet future colleagues from different backgrounds - I think you'll enjoy and be surprised about the amazing stories they have to share. Best of luck with your application!

Oooom yes - we, the luxurious MSTP class, must not mix with the common “plebeians” that comprise the MD’s (“medical doctors”? More like “most disgusting”, yes?)

And, indubitably, we must not allow... “intermingling” of our kind with the more “exotic” common folk (the Protestants just do not have the same... oooom... “legacy,” yes?) It would just lead to dilution of our prestigious society.

Now, NP, go and fetch me my rear-rod. I must perform the traditional MSTP daily rectal exercises (I have achieved numerous additional inches into my colon since last insertion! The Harvard PD’s will surely be impressed with my progress come match day...)

Elitism does nothing but temporarily fill a vacuous hole in ourselves left by the lack of intrinsic self-worth. It makes our culture toxic - hurting everyone involved.

Amethyst provided a really wonderful explanation of the importance of diversifying our field (alongside the historical mistreatment of those that have entered it looking differently than those already in it). If you can find a stream of “Picture a Scientist”, it might provide a little more in-depth context to this.

anyways, just poking a bit of fun with my above response, not trying to target at all . I empathize with the excruciating wait, and I really hope you hear back favorably from your programs of interest soon, if you haven’t already 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.