Athabasca degree or individual courses for US MD schools prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aftaab_md

Reaction score
Hello,

Canadian here. I was thinking of taking Athabasca online courses to fulfill US MD schools pre reqs ( biology , org chemistry labs, .... ) . Also since i have a foreign degree, lots of MD schools in US asks atleast 45-60 credits of work from US or Canada schools.

My question was is Athabasca online courses accepted for US MD schools ? if so is it easy get a good GPA in this courses ? I want to take around 30 credits and get good GPA for AMCAS GPA calculation. Or any other suggestion to get pre reqs for MD schools from canada ?

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools are you looking at, Canadian or US? Technically I don't see it being a problem for AMCAS, but I don't know if this would raise questions for committees. We would need to look at your syllabus.

Check the schools to make sure you don't tell American committees you want to attend Canadian programs, which would be a presumption.

Reactions: 1 user
Which schools are you looking at, Canadian or US? Technically I don't see it being a problem for AMCAS, but I don't know if this would raise questions for committees. We would need to look at your syllabus.

Check the schools to make sure you don't tell American committees you want to attend Canadian programs, which would be a presumption.
Thanks for the response. I am looking for US med schools. I didnt get your logic on why not to tell American committees i want to attend canadian programs, assuming you mean canadian med schools or canadian Athabasca university for credits?

@Mr.Smile12

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian residents have a very difficult time gaining admissions to US medical schools. Usually only those with strong GPA, test scores and ECs make it. Some of the MI schools take more Canadians but would like to see strong service to those less fortunate.

Reactions: 1 users
Just making sure people read: Medical - 7 To-Dos for Canadians Applying to U.S. Med Schools

Some faculty will ask admins if they have ever heard of specific schools, and we usually reply by looking up the school profile. Some adcom faculty may ask to put the file on hold until a select group can decide after reading the file more deeply.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Canadian here with a foreign undergrad degree ( India) and grad school (US). Since i have a foreign degree, lots of MD schools in US asks at-least 60-90 credits of work from US schools. Wondering what is the best way to approach taking them - do i take them online in to some US universities (UCLA extension) ? i can see that med schools in US accept Canadian courses but some schools i asked they want US university credits only, unfortunately i cannot travel to US for now and i will be green card holder of US in coming year hopefully, want to take credits before that to apply for next cycle.

Any suggestions please ?
Any US university courses i can take from canada which are valid for GPA for amcas as well would be fine with med schools.
Any other canadian university i should take courses in which is accepted by all the american med schools ?