Atheltic Trainers going to PT School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATCandDPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I majored in athletic training in college, and I'm currently certified and licensed. I decided to go to PT school my junior year of college because my favorite part of athletic training is rehabbing patients. I've worked in the PT world as a tech and I enjoy it. I love both athletic training and physical therapy. There are pros and cons to both. Right now I'm not sure what I want to do. For those students who are athletic trainers, what made you decide to go to Physical therapy school? What are some things you can do with both an ATC and a DPT?

Members don't see this ad.

I majored in athletic training in college, and I'm currently certified and licensed. I decided to go to PT school my junior year of college because my favorite part of athletic training is rehabbing patients. I've worked in the PT world as a tech and I enjoy it. I love both athletic training and physical therapy. There are pros and cons to both. Right now I'm not sure what I want to do. For those students who are athletic trainers, what made you decide to go to Physical therapy school? What are some things you can do with both an ATC and a DPT?
I’m currently applying to PT school but was an ATC for 6 years before making the decision. I decided to change because I wanted to help the population at large not just the athletes. Also to have some more set hours. A PT/ATC could still cover high school football games and such because they have the knowledge and understanding off emergency med. they could also open or work in a more sports focused PT setting bc of their background. Just bc you get your PT degree doesn’t mean you’ll have to forget your ATC degree that can work hand in hand.

Reactions: 1 user
I am an ATC in PT school now. I personally made the decision because of what I liked most about AT was all of the PT aspects and the better work/life balance I witnessed from working alongside PT’s and doing observations. I feel it opens up so much more opportunity for patient care while also keeping the AT side of things if I want to. Each have pros and cons but of my lists the pros were much stronger for PT/AT than just AT.