Atlantic bridge applications 2022-2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annieg98

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Join this thread and let’s make a group chat, help each other out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also applying to AB, if y'all have a group chat/discord I would love to join

Reactions: 1 user
I am also applying to AB, if y'all have a group chat/discord I would love to join
Good to meet you. I am applying for the 5 year program, how about you?

Hi, I’m applying to Ireland for direct entry from high school. Anyone on the same boat? Does anyone know which schools do not require interviews? And are there entrance exams in place of interviews?

Hi, also applying for 6 year program, finishing high school 2023! I think UCD, RCSI and NUIG

you mean you are applying to those three schools? Or those three don’t require interviews?
As I understand, these are the only ones that now accept high school applicants for 6 y programs. The others are 5 or 4 years. I am applying to all of them but find hard they will consider a high schooler for a 5 year program. Will see :)...I think they all require interview

Members don't see this ad :)
In your opinion, which is better for Canadian high school students? Uk or Ireland?

I am also applying for both! But I think Ireland is the way to go...it seems prepares better for the USMLE, or more geared to return....
So Ireland first choice, UK second...unless you have a top UK in your UCAS 4 choices! I wasn't great on my UKAT :( !

i have also heard that while it is easier for IMGs who graduated from Ireland to match back to Canada, they also won’t have the back up option of staying in Ireland in case they cant match back (which is higher than 60% chance), whereas if we graduate from the UK, we are definitely allowed to stay in the UK if we don’t match back to Canada. it will be a tough decision to make if given a choice

Hi, I’m applying to Ireland for direct entry from high school. Anyone on the same boat? Does anyone know which schools do not require interviews? And are there entrance exams in place of interviews?
I am applying from HS. UCD and RCSI do interviews. NUIG and CORK do not.

I am also applying for both! But I think Ireland is the way to go...it seems prepares better for the USMLE, or more geared to return....
So Ireland first choice, UK second...unless you have a top UK in your UCAS 4 choices! I wasn't great on my UKAT :( !
Agree with you, Ireland first choice.

I am applying from HS. UCD and RCSI do interviews. NUIG and CORK do not.
I wonder how that works, if there isn’t an interview for UCC and NUIG, will there be an entrance exam instead? If I remember correctly, Irish schools don’t require UCAT, so if neither interview nor entrance exam is required, then admission will be solely based on high school grades? That sounds too good to be true. Any insights on that?

I wonder how that works, if there isn’t an interview for UCC and NUIG, will there be an entrance exam instead? If I remember correctly, Irish schools don’t require UCAT, so if neither interview nor entrance exam is required, then admission will be solely based on high school grades? That sounds too good to be true. Any insights on that?
Yes the entrances to UCC and NUIG is totally on HS results, GPA and AP exam results.
UCD and RCSI Has the additional requirement of an interview. There is NO entrance exam for any of the colleges when coming from HS. I am 100% sure about this.

Yes the entrances to UCC and NUIG is totally on HS results, GPA and AP exam results.
UCD and RCSI Has the additional requirement of an interview. There is NO entrance exam for any of the colleges when coming from HS. I am 100% sure about this.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. For the ones that don’t require interviews, I wonder when they will make a decision and send out offers

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. For the ones that don’t require interviews, I wonder when they will make a decision and send out offers
Usually offers start coming out in early March for UCD and RCSI and continue until places are full.NUIG and UCC usually start sending offers late March early April.

Hey! Im applying for the 5 year programs, does anyone know generally what university gpa the med schools look at for admittance in the 5 year programs?

Does anyone know if interviews at Irish medical schools are also MMI? Or is it going to be just panel interviews?

Good to meet you. I am applying for the 5 year program, how about you?
I have so much respect for the gumption you all have to take a journey across the world to go to school. I’d like to hear an update about how your process is going!

In a Canadian pre med group, someone said that Ireland is under war. Is that true at all?

I know an Applicant in Ontario has received an interview invite from UCD? Has anyone else heard for an interview?

Hi future med students! I'm a Canadian citizen in my first year at the University of Limerick (4 year program) and I got in through Atlantic Bridge. If anyone has questions about the process, or what med school is like feel free to message me! Happy to help out!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi future med students! I'm a Canadian citizen in my first year at the University of Limerick (4 year program) and I got in through Atlantic Bridge. If anyone has questions about the process, or what med school is like feel free to message me! Happy to help out!

Hey! Couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. What we're your stats when applying?
2. What was the interview process like?
3. How are you finding it right now? Location/school/ciriculum, etc.
4. Might be a bit early to ask, but how is the support structure for trying to match back into Canada.

Was wondering when everyone applied? I applied late on Feb 5th. Also curious if anyone heard back from 5-year programs!

Hey! Couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. What we're your stats when applying?
2. What was the interview process like?
3. How are you finding it right now? Location/school/ciriculum, etc.
4. Might be a bit early to ask, but how is the support structure for trying to match back into Canada.
Hi! Sorry for the late response, have an exam coming up haha!

1. Not great lol! My cumulative GPA was a 3.13, and my MCAT was 500. BUT my transcript had a huge upward climb in terms of my GPA - from a 1.66 in my first semester to a 4.0 in my last year and half. Though I obviously don't know for sure, I would bet that definitely had something to do with securing an interview. My personal statement was also pretty good the year I finally got in, so that likely had something to do with it as well.
2. My interview was in person at a hotel - we started the day with a small group task while someone from the school observed, and then we moved on to individual interviews. For me, I had two people interviewing me in a private room. Standard questions (why med, why Ireland, let's talk about your transcript, etc.)
3. Location wise... I mean Ireland is beautiful of course but it rains A LOT. It feels like I haven't seen the sun in a long time lol so if you're coming, bring vitamin D with you! The school is pretty good in terms of support - they want you to pass, so they're great with helping you get there. Lots of revision sessions before exams, faculty answers emails quickly, and there's spaces to study all over campus. The curriculum is good - I believe our school sort of collaborates with McMaster in Canada to ensure that everything is on par with the North American education, so you're getting the same level of quality that you would at home. It's tough, I won't lie, but completely doable if you put in the work! They have a pretty good system in place to ensure you don't fall behind!
4. I've been told that they are very helpful with trying to get you back to Canada/US but I won't be able to speak to that first hand yet. They do offer a USMLE course with Kaplan in your second year, and you actually sit a mock USMLE with the school before you sit the real thing. I can't remember stats off hand, but I remember at my interview they actually told us the percentage of students who match back first year and I remember thinking it was really good for an international school. Basically from what I've been told by upper years, they want you to match back home so they do a lot to help make that happen.

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any other questions!

All these posts are encouraging. Thanks everyone for sharing everything on here.

I'm currently trying to get into international medical schools, mainly Ireland and Australia. Unfortunately my GPA is low by American standards because I did all my education abroad in a language I learned as an adult. It was a dumb move for med school applications, but back then I had no idea. I was wondering whether anyone knows of a way to 'strengthen' your academic record for Irish schools specifically. Would they care about post baccs, despite that they're not even a part of your undergraduate degree? Or would only a second undergraduate or a master's degree count towards resetting the GPA for the Irish schools?

I did apply to NUI Galway and Trinity through AB just in case though.

how late is too late for an application? I am worried that I completed mine too late due to MCAT studying for my January test :(

how late is too late for an application? I am worried that I completed mine too late due to MCAT studying for my January test :(
I was told that it’s rolling admissions and offers are sometimes made in late July/August. They suggested taking MCAT before May.

I was told that it’s rolling admissions and offers are sometimes made in late July/August. They suggested taking MCAT before May.
That was my understanding as well. However, im a little worried that the classes will be full/almost full by the time they get to the February applicants

Hmmm, I believe that’s just the first round. We’ll see. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I didn't receive an interview offer until March, for a date in April so you might still be ok!

Question for those who applied for the Atlantic program, do you know that GMC in UK has applied for recognition from WFME, also is not in the process to submit an application. Does that mean after 2024 UK graduates can not apply for USMLE through ECFMG? Can someone verify this?

This is what I copied and pasted from ECFMG website. Look like it is true that UK med graduates can not take USMLE.

The United Kingdom

Although this change will affect medical graduates from various countries, one of the countries that people are most concerned about is the United Kingdom. On the WFME website, you can see which accrediting bodies and their corresponding countries are approved or have applied for accreditation with the WFME.

The medical accrediting body in the United Kingdom is the General Medical Council or GMC and, as of October 2022, the GMC has not applied for accreditation with the WFME. Given that the accreditation process can take anywhere between 12-18 months and programs will need to be accredited starting in 2024, many UK physicians are concerned that they will no longer be able to apply for U.S. residency programs starting in 2024.

This is what I copied and pasted from ECFMG website. Look like it is true that UK med graduates can not take USMLE.

The United Kingdom

Although this change will affect medical graduates from various countries, one of the countries that people are most concerned about is the United Kingdom. On the WFME website, you can see which accrediting bodies and their corresponding countries are approved or have applied for accreditation with the WFME.

The medical accrediting body in the United Kingdom is the General Medical Council or GMC and, as of October 2022, the GMC has not applied for accreditation with the WFME. Given that the accreditation process can take anywhere between 12-18 months and programs will need to be accredited starting in 2024, many UK physicians are concerned that they will no longer be able to apply for U.S. residency programs starting in 2024.
Thanks for sharing. The link you shared is broken, so I cannot access the site. I have not heard anyone else from any forums talking about this though. Then what about Canada? Can UK grad Canadians apply to residency programs in Canada? People on this thread here mostly apply to Ireland though, not the UK. I guess that’s why no one here knows about this.

I know an Applicant in Ontario has received an interview invite from UCD? Has anyone else heard for an interview?
I have applied all medical schools as an undergraduate non-eu medical applicant. Done 2 interviews, but still do not know the outcome.

Did yo get any offer from any of the Irish medical schools. I have applied as non-eu undergraduate student . Have not yet received an offer.

Just now got an offer from Galway

I did not get UCD interview, but just now received an offer from Galway

After submitting all the required documents & LORs to the Atlantic Bridge Portal, how long does it take for Atlantic Bridge to send the application to the schools?