Atlas of head and neck anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melimelomed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year medical student and I will be applying into ENT next year. Can anyone recommend a good atlas of head and neck anatomy? I already have an atlas of general anatomy, but I would like a book limited to head and neck anatomy that I could carry with me for my electives.
Thanks!
Mel

Members don't see this ad.

Highly recommend Surgical Approaches in Otorhinolaryngology by Thumfart, et al. (Thieme). Great pictures and well-labelled.

Highly recommend Surgical Approaches in Otorhinolaryngology by Thumfart, et al. (Thieme). Great pictures and well-labelled.

I can't imagine it's easy going through life with the last name "Thumfart."

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't go wrong w/ a good Thumfart.

I am a third year medical student and I will be applying into ENT next year. Can anyone recommend a good atlas of head and neck anatomy? I already have an atlas of general anatomy, but I would like a book limited to head and neck anatomy that I could carry with me for my electives.
Thanks!
Mel

there are 2 types of anatomy textbooks - Academic anatomy textbooks that also may or may not have surgical perils, and secondly, anatomy based on certain surgical procedures and approaches. In my opinion you really need to have one of each because sometimes you just want to learn the relationship of a certain structure for its entirety (refer to the first type of book) versus referring to everything you will encounter doing a certain procedure in a certain region. Having a solid foundation of academic anatomy before studying surgical approaches has always been the way that's benefitted me the most. I like Surgical Anatomy of the Head and Neck by Janfaza that is more of the first type of book i described with surgical implications for each structure.

I just went to my school bookstore and the two volumes of Bailey's were $425 and the L&M is only $250 and it is one book. As a 4th year who will be planning on a career in ENT should I bite the bullet and get the more expensive book now if I have the $ or is L&M equally a good text that I can use on my Sub-i's and externships? I know this has been beaten to death but please humor me.

Thanks.

I just went to my school bookstore and the two volumes of Bailey's were $425 and the L&M is only $250 and it is one book. As a 4th year who will be planning on a career in ENT should I bite the bullet and get the more expensive book now if I have the $ or is L&M equally a good text that I can use on my Sub-i's and externships? I know this has been beaten to death but please humor me.

Thanks.

I've got both...the Lore book is pretty outdated on many areas. If you're going into ENT, it would seem that you couldn't go wrong with Bailey. But I'm not an ENT so the other guys here can probably tell you better.

I like Lore' and Medina, a lot. I really really like that atlas. In fact, I refer to it far more often than Bailey's. The new L&M just came out 2 years ago so it's pretty up to date, IMO.

I think it's easier to follow L&M's descriptions than it is Bailey's. The pictures are fair to good, not great. The wording is good. The techniques are varied. Some I never used in my training but I like how they describe it so I use their technique sometimes.

There are a lot of surgical atlases out there. I like Silver and Rubin for H&N, Coker for otology, and Myers/Lore for general stuff and H&N.

There are a lot of surgical atlases out there. I like Silver and Rubin for H&N, Coker for otology, and Myers/Lore for general stuff and H&N.

Throat, did you mean Medina and Lore? I couldn't find one by Myers and Lore, although I do like the green algorithm book from Myers to check my work-ups every once in a while.

Throat, did you mean Medina and Lore? I couldn't find one by Myers and Lore, although I do like the green algorithm book from Myers to check my work-ups every once in a while.

I meant Myers OR Lore. Myers has an OK two volume atlas. It is a little easier to read than some of the other atlases.

I meant Myers OR Lore. Myers has an OK two volume atlas. It is a little easier to read than some of the other atlases.

sorry, for me you often have to speak slowly. Now I gotcha.

Is there anyone here who knows the Sobotta? I think is just great for head and neck, also for neuroanatomy, but that is if you've been studying the area for a while, otherwhise I would recomend the good old Netter...great for a start.

Is there anyone here who knows the Sobotta? I think is just great for head and neck, also for neuroanatomy, but that is if you've been studying the area for a while, otherwhise I would recomend the good old Netter...great for a start.

If you didn't already know, the illustrations in Clemente's anatomy book (probably the third most popular after Netter and Grant in medical school; incidentally, I used Clemente) are those of Sobotta. Great head and neck illustrations.

If you didn't already know, the illustrations in Clemente's anatomy book (probably the third most popular after Netter and Grant in medical school; incidentally, I used Clemente) are those of Sobotta. Great head and neck illustrations.

I've never heard of Clemente's book, I'm costarrican and probably the book's not so popular here, which is weird cause the Sobbotta is very used.

Also, you might want to check the good ol' Netter, clear and organized, good for starting to study the area.

What am I talking about?!? Netter, Sobotta...both are pretty basic atlases for an ENT residency, I really don't understand how come all the folks here that are way more advanced than I am didn't laugh at me or tell me to get the hell outta here!!! Sorry...:rolleyes:...Im an MSII. You all know how it is.

it's hard to rip on enthusiasm.

We've all been there.