ATLS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kevin512

:)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking an ATLS course within the next couple weeks. I just recieved the book and realized that this may be the road less taken.

What can I do to prepare for the course and what can I do to succeed? e.g. should I make flash cards, should I read the entire book or focus on certain chapters, are there things I must know to pass etc.

Thanks!
Kevin

Members don't see this ad.

I have taken this course. I would say give the book a read through, look/understand the algorithms, pay special attention to the section on blood pressure (fluids vs pressers) and maybe refresh on some advanced airway/RSI topics before the class begins. The class I took tested us disproportionately on burns (% burned, parkland formula, etc.).

EDIT: Why are you taking this?

GL

Last edited:
I am taking an ATLS course within the next couple weeks. I just recieved the book and realized that this may be the road less taken.

What can I do to prepare for the course and what can I do to succeed? e.g. should I make flash cards, should I read the entire book or focus on certain chapters, are there things I must know to pass etc.

Thanks!
Kevin

Let me guess...
You are taking the C4 coarse at Camp Bullis.

I had to do it years ago so much has changed I am sure, but here are a few thoughts.
1. They will have a shot gun lecture course covering it all the first day or two you are there so you can get some of it then.
2. I had a some good friend that was an ER doc and he reviewed the key info with me. SO do an inventory of your friends in the Emergency Medicine field and talk to them about becoming your support team.
3. Read the whole book. I know it is a huge task but you don't have to understand it all just become familiar with the terms and basic concepts. (Use the stuff you don't understand as discussion topics with your support team.)
4. As a dentist they really don't expect you to ace the test. (In fact I don't think they even expect you to pass.) SO there is no shame in not doing well. BUT you still want to do your best.
5. The test is like so many multiple choice test we have all taken to get where we are today. Even if you don't have any idea at all you can "divine" the right answer with elimination, deduction, and educated guesses.

Good Luck
BTW C4 is great fun enjoy it.