Atls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if you guys think it is worth it for me to audit an ATLS course, as a 3rd year, by volunteering as a moulage victim. Also can medical students actually get certified or is this something we have to wait on till we graduate? Tried searching to no avail.

Members don't see this ad.

It's probably beneficial to sit in on the course if you can. It does give a decent high level overview of trauma care, and as with all the merit badge courses its main value is in providing a structured approach to assessment and resuscitation.

You cannot be certified unless you are a physician or licensed midlevel provider. It also doesn't matter if you are certified or not, because the card itself is meaningless.

Finally, whenever you take ATLS, please keep in mind that it is the least evidence-based of all the merit badge courses. In many aspects it is years behind the times, and it generally has a very dogmatic approach. Take any specific recommendations with a large grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely worth it if you have the free time. You will get the general idea of ATLS principles covered in your general surgery rotation as well, so it's not as necessary, but it is still nice to practice procedures.

it is still nice to practice procedures.
I'm taking mine on Tuesday, and this is the aspect that I'm most enthusiastic about. Some of the practice stations they cover aren't situations you commonly run into in the ED (at least not for us as interns, since we don't do trauma this year), so I'm looking forward to having a chance to practice things like chest tubes and crics.