ATLS/ACLS/PALS prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowdon48

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, incoming EM intern here. Just received my study books for ATLS, ACLS and PALS from my institution. Just wanted to get a feel for how much prep for these courses most people plan to do beforehand.

Is it necessary to read the entire book for each or just focus on certain parts? Do I need to memorize alogarithms? Use other study resources?

I have heard the tests can be pretty tough (especially ATLS). Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Incoming intern as well. Haven't taken atls, but acls and pals were straight forward. The computer program can be picky at times but once you figure out how it wanted things done those two were quick and easy.

Incoming intern as well. Haven't taken atls, but acls and pals were straight forward. The computer program can be picky at times but once you figure out how it wanted things done those two were quick and easy.

Nice, I'm assuming you took the online versions. I'm signed up for the classroom versions. Not sure how much they differ.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice, I'm assuming you took the online versions. I'm signed up for the classroom versions. Not sure how much they differ.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Yea I did the online one. Though I haven't done anything since last fall and am basically illiterate and PALS still felt pretty easy so I'm sure its fairly chill.

Remember these classes are not taught at a "physician" level. That means you're going to pass no problem if you just show up. I would NOT spend the end of my MS4 year studying for them.

When in doubt, the answer is amiodarone in ACLS, respirations in PALS, and ABCs in ATLS.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just finished ACLS and PALS through my school. They did expect that we had read through the entire book before the first day of class.

That being said, I didn't, I didn't even finish the books before finishing the course, and I have my certifications. I would recommend looking through the algorithm cards the night before your course and you'll be golden.

No pulse -> chest compression, epi +/- amio, shock
Pulse -> make sure to remember to sync

Now go have a beer.

So I just finished ACLS and PALS through my school. They did expect that we had read through the entire book before the first day of class.

That being said, I didn't, I didn't even finish the books before finishing the course

I didn't read any of those books and passed everything first try...pro tip: if you fail, they tell you what you failed and have you correct it. Its pretty standard stuff, very easy to pick up enough to pass from the course didactic and then forget it, you will learn how to actually run all this stuff during your residency.

Okay, I'm clearly in the minority.

This is about the specialty that you have chosen for your life...

If you can't get the interest to read three sets of material that are the bare essentials of trauma and medical resuscitative care when you're in your late fourth year of medical school...

Well...maybe this isn't for you. IN my opinion of course.

Reactions: 2 users

If you can't get the interest to read three sets of material that are the bare essentials of trauma and medical resuscitative care when you're in your late fourth year of medical school...

lol...

Reactions: 2 users

SUMMER VACATION 2K17, Y0L0BR0

I simply asked for the best way to prepare for these courses, I'm sorry if you somehow took that to mean that I am uninterested in the topics.

I simply asked for the best way to prepare for these courses, I'm sorry if you somehow took that to mean that I am uninterested in the topics.

True. I think I was speaking more to the advisors who said to not read them, and that it's not for physicians etc. your question was well worded and legitimate. In general, if given reading material, read it, think about it, have any questions ready.

Reactions: 1 users