Step I Atrial natriuretic peptide

Started by menniscus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

menniscus

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anybody could explain to me how is the mechanism of ANP in constricting the efferent arteriole. We already know that the vasodilation of the afferent arteriole is due to the increase in cGMP, but what about the other mechanism? I was thinking about a Gq protein.. but I did some research and I didn't find anything to reinforce it.
Thanks in advance!
 
I was wondering if anybody could explain to me how is the mechanism of ANP in constricting the efferent arteriole. We already know that the vasodilation of the afferent arteriole is due to the increase in cGMP, but what about the other mechanism? I was thinking about a Gq protein.. but I did some research and I didn't find anything to reinforce it.
Thanks in advance!

The ANP receptor has intrinsic Guanylate Cyclase activity (also known as the cGMP second messenger system). It is the same as NO (Nitric Oxide/Endothelium derived relaxing factor).
 
The ANP receptor has intrinsic Guanylate Cyclase activity (also known as the cGMP second messenger system). It is the same as NO (Nitric Oxide/Endothelium derived relaxing factor).
yes I agree with you on that, but how it is supposed the cGMP to cause VC of efferent arteriole.. I mean that would have sense regarding the VD of the afferent arteriole, but It doesn't make sense to me that the same mechanism is causing VC in one arteriole and VD in the other one..
 
I would just think of the function of ANP. ANP is trying to decrease the volume in the blood, the best way to do that is increasing volume and pressure going to the glomeruli via VD of afferent (more volume to glomeruli) and VC of efferent (more pressure to glomeruli).