ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I stayed there when I interviewed and I didn't think it was that bad. Its a bed, a shower, tv, and internet. And for me that was enough. The continental breakfast is a joke so plan on either bringing something or getting something or there are granola bars at KCOM.

I also have stayed at the Knight's Inn which is about the same price and it is also not that bad, a bed/shower/internet/tv/etc.

So, Dani, did you have a preference between the two? Was one cleaner than the other? I don't require too much, but I don't do smelly places too well...and I don't have much experience with hotels/motels...maybe none of them smell, I don't really know. I requested to stay with a student host, but I guess I won't know until it gets closer to interview. If I don't, my guest and I will be staying at a nearby hotel somewhere. If I do, my guest will be staying at the hotel by herself, and I don't want her to stay in a crappy place. What exactly did the continental breakfast consist of? Was it just gross? And did the Knight's Inn have the continental breakfast as well? Thanks!

If anyone else has any other advice, I would appreciate it!
 
More questions about the interviews:

For those who have interviewed at KCOM, how are the hour long interviews? It sounds really long to me, and I can't imagine what we can talk about for that long (especially b/c it's a 1:1) 😱! Do both interviewers ask you the same questions? Do you get a break between the two or do you go from one to the other?

I would rather do 1:1 than the 3:1 at UW, but 60 min just seems like a LOT!

And this is probably a really dumb question :laugh:, but how do you refer to the school? Is it K-C-O-M, kaycom, A.T. Still University, Kirksville...what? Clearly I don't do too well with acronyms...😕
 
So, Dani, did you have a preference between the two? Was one cleaner than the other? I don't require too much, but I don't do smelly places too well...and I don't have much experience with hotels/motels...maybe none of them smell, I don't really know. I requested to stay with a student host, but I guess I won't know until it gets closer to interview. If I don't, my guest and I will be staying at a nearby hotel somewhere. If I do, my guest will be staying at the hotel by herself, and I don't want her to stay in a crappy place. What exactly did the continental breakfast consist of? Was it just gross? And did the Knight's Inn have the continental breakfast as well? Thanks!

If anyone else has any other advice, I would appreciate it!

My experience was that both were clean and I didn't notice a smell. The rooms at Knight's were a bit bigger and its a bit more on the edge of town as opposed to Budget Host which is right on the main strip. The continental breakfast at Budget Host is toast and maybe oatmeal? It wasn't gross, it just wasn't much. I don't really remember and I think it was about comprable at Knight's. I was with my parents so we just went out to eat.

Don't get me wrong, you get what you pay for as the room is not as nice as compared to the new Holiday Inn or something but I got into town late the night before my interview so I pretty much got in and went to bed so it wasn't like I needed much else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My experience was that both were clean and I didn't notice a smell. The rooms at Knight's were a bit bigger and its a bit more on the edge of town as opposed to Budget Host which is right on the main strip. The continental breakfast at Budget Host is toast and maybe oatmeal? It wasn't gross, it just wasn't much. I don't really remember and I think it was about comprable at Knight's. I was with my parents so we just went out to eat.

Don't get me wrong, you get what you pay for as the room is not as nice as compared to the new Holiday Inn or something but I got into town late the night before my interview so I pretty much got in and went to bed so it wasn't like I needed much else.

Thank you. Are you happy at KCOM?
 
More questions about the interviews:

For those who have interviewed at KCOM, how are the hour long interviews? It sounds really long to me, and I can't imagine what we can talk about for that long (especially b/c it's a 1:1) 😱! Do both interviewers ask you the same questions? Do you get a break between the two or do you go from one to the other?

I would rather do 1:1 than the 3:1 at UW, but 60 min just seems like a LOT!

And this is probably a really dumb question :laugh:, but how do you refer to the school? Is it K-C-O-M, kaycom, A.T. Still University, Kirksville...what? Clearly I don't do too well with acronyms...😕


The hour long interviews flew by for me. I was actually quite surprised. My first interview I gave a little history about myself, what I liked and the interviewer did likewise. My second interview started talking specifics about my application, and then turned into a convo about what both of us like to do. Before I knew it, both hours had already passed by and we were still talking!

Before I went to my interview, I always thought it was K-COM, but at my interview, everyone was calling it K-C-O-M. I prefer K-COM, but I used both interchangeably now 😎
 
More questions about the interviews:

For those who have interviewed at KCOM, how are the hour long interviews? It sounds really long to me, and I can't imagine what we can talk about for that long (especially b/c it's a 1:1) 😱! Do both interviewers ask you the same questions? Do you get a break between the two or do you go from one to the other?

I would rather do 1:1 than the 3:1 at UW, but 60 min just seems like a LOT!

And this is probably a really dumb question :laugh:, but how do you refer to the school? Is it K-C-O-M, kaycom, A.T. Still University, Kirksville...what? Clearly I don't do too well with acronyms...😕


Its Kaycom😀
 
Thanks Superman and kopitar. K-COM it is.

I'm super excited for the interview now...it seems almost like 2 mini-dates 😀.
 
I preferred the 1:1 interviews at kcom. They really do fly by. I had 3:1 30 min interview at DMU and while it was ok, I just didn't feel like anything was really accomplished with them getting to know me and me getting to know them. When people say that the kcom interviews are laid back, they mean it. I finished one interview talking about deer hunting and the Brett Favre saga.
 
Thank you. Are you happy at KCOM?

Yes, I am very happy at K-C-O-M 🙂 I survived Q1 finals and am home on a very appreciated break. Everyone is like a family and the professors are very good. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.
 
Yes, I am very happy at K-C-O-M 🙂 .

Aaaaaand we're back! K-C-O-M vs KCOM!!! Looks like a question I will be asking at my interview 😛. I'm sure they're interchangeable...but I want just ONE way. Haha. Not gonna happen, I'm sure.

If I think of anything specific, Dani, I will definitely ask! Thanks for the offer.

And I hope I will have the same fast going-laid back interview everyone else seems to have had. Thanks for all your input.
 
or...you could just call it A-T-S-U, lol. I thought it was KayCOM up until I interviewed there. Then everyone I heard there said K-C-O-M instead.

I also did not think the hour long interviews were bad. They were pretty laid back, and both my interviewers asked some of the same questions. I had a microbio professor and a pharmacology professor as my interviewers, and the hour definitely went by quickly with both of them. Good luck!!!! 🙂 🙂
 
Haha you guys are KILLING me! So now KayCOM, K-C-O-M, and A-T-S-U are back on the table. As of right now, I will refer to it as the DO school in Missouri...after my interview, I will make an executive decision as to what it should be, and I will inform all of you! :laugh: j/k. But seriously, I'll see if there's one that a majority uses. I should just call up the school and ask.

Or we can do what Superman says and the MS-1s call it KayCOM while the MS-2s call it K-C-O-M, and then the class of 2015 can call it A-T-S-U. We'll just keep alternating it depending on your class!
 
To those of you that have interviewed I'm not sure if you noticed that the basement to the library is currently under renovation due to water damage a few years ago due to a flood in Kirksville. Here is the video of the water rushing into the library:

http://www.atsu.edu/library/flood.htm
 
To those of you that have interviewed I'm not sure if you noticed that the basement to the library is currently under renovation due to water damage a few years ago due to a flood in Kirksville. Here is the video of the water rushing into the library:

http://www.atsu.edu/library/flood.htm

Oh my goodness, no wonder we could not go down to the basement during our tour. They told us the story about the flood, but I never imagined it being that bad!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those of you that have interviewed I'm not sure if you noticed that the basement to the library is currently under renovation due to water damage a few years ago due to a flood in Kirksville. Here is the video of the water rushing into the library:

http://www.atsu.edu/library/flood.htm


Oh man!! That's like the TITANIC!! (You know, that part when Jack's is chained to the pole and the water keeps rushing in...)

btw...does anyone have trouble staying motivated after getting in? I feel ADD all the time...
 
...does anyone have trouble staying motivated after getting in? I feel ADD all the time...

I am having the worst time staying motivated. I have to finish up my last organic chemistry II class, and a lab, and I can't seem to study for more than half and hour. Argggggggggggg.🙁
 
Thanks n congrats 2 u! I haven't scheduled the date yet bcuz I have an interview n Tennessee as well, so I'm tryna schedule them close together since I have to come all the way from Florida.

I see! Smart. This interview business is so expensive...but hopefully worth it in the end! Well good luck on both.
 
Lol! I'm praying for an acceptance, but jus thanking him for the invites right now, I've had kind of a late start.

Well one of the student ambassadors told me if you get to the interview stage with KCOM, then normally you are in very good shape! Just be relaxed and yourself. . .the entire interview day is quite enjoyable (well, except when you have to drive back to St. Louis in a 3 hour down pour to catch a plane lol). . .good luck!
 
I kno!!! The whole process is expensive...that's another reason I really want to get n this year, I can't imagine having to spend this much money to apply again. Becuz I've been concentrating on school, I don't have a job, so my parents r supporting me thru this whole process. I kno my dad is excited and proud of me, but with the 2 out of state interviews I've gotten 2day, I saw his head kind of drop. I feel really bad! I'm so thankful for all the interviews I've received, but all 3 r OOS. Where is the IS love???
 
Well one of the student ambassadors told me if you get to the interview stage with KCOM, then normally you are in very good shape! Just be relaxed and yourself. . .the entire interview day is quite enjoyable (well, except when you have to drive back to St. Louis in a 3 hour down pour to catch a plane lol). . .good luck!


Oh yeah, thanks! This is reassuring...I really want to get n this cycle.
 
did anyone interview at LECOM? I'm thinking of canceling my interview there because I really liked KCOM...


LECOM-Erie was actually my first interview and I wasn't that impressed. Their way of preparing you for a life at LECOM was to terrify you and tell you that the next four years of your life will be spent curled up in the fetal position crying because of all the work you have to do (I'm being dramatic but they do try to use the scare tactics). I had one 2 on 1 interview where the two interviewers were playing the good cop/ bad cop game so that was interesting. I did get accepted there but the minute I got my KCOM acceptance, I called and withdrew from LECOM. In my opinion, the atmosphere at KCOM was far superior to that at LECOM. Plus, I really didn't like the area that LECOM was in.
 
For all you incoming students or those that are considering ATSU-KCOM. We just recieved notice from the Dean that the LIBRARY BASEMENT will be open for student use on November30th. This is a great thing for students with the large amounts of study space that is going to be available. Above posts will show what happened to the basement a couple of fall storms ago.

Goodluck.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone get accepted today?

I interviewed last week and one of the admission's counselors told us they would have decisions today, but then another one said probably not until at least next week. But I got my hopes up and when I called today they said they didn't make a decision on my file, but I was curious to see if anyone else was lucky enough to get accepted today...
 
Did anyone get accepted today?

I interviewed last week and one of the admission's counselors told us they would have decisions today, but then another one said probably not until at least next week. But I got my hopes up and when I called today they said they didn't make a decision on my file, but I was curious to see if anyone else was lucky enough to get accepted today...

For anyone who interviewed last week and was supposed to hear today ... due to the holiday, the committee did not meet this week (they meet every weds) so we can call in and find out next Thursday!!!! 😱
 
For all you incoming students or those that are considering ATSU-KCOM. We just recieved notice from the Dean that the LIBRARY BASEMENT will be open for student use on November30th. This is a great thing for students with the large amounts of study space that is going to be available. Above posts will show what happened to the basement a couple of fall storms ago.

Goodluck.


Thanks for the update, Happy thanksgiving everyone!
😀KCOM-2014😀
 
For anyone who interviewed last week and was supposed to hear today ... due to the holiday, the committee did not meet this week (they meet every weds) so we can call in and find out next Thursday!!!! 😱


Thank you so much for letting us know that! I didn't know if they didn't meet or just didn't decide on my file! I guess it will just be a fun waiting game until next week!

Happy Thanksgiving! 😀
 
I've got an interview on 1/14 and the transportation info on the KCOM site isn't really helpful. Could someone who knows the area be so kind as to PM me with some suggestions as to how exactly I can get to the school? I'll probably be departing from Chicago, IL and there doesn't seem to be a major airport within 1 hour of the school. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you. 🙂
 
I've got an interview on 1/14 and the transportation info on the KCOM site isn't really helpful. Could someone who knows the area be so kind as to PM me with some suggestions as to how exactly I can get to the school? I'll probably be departing from Chicago, IL and there doesn't seem to be a major airport within 1 hour of the school. I'd appreciate any help. Thank you. 🙂

i landed in kansas city and rented a car and drove for about 180 miles to kirksville. took about 3 hours. there is a HUGE CENTRAL 'car renting' place at kansas city airport. the bus shuttle goes there so you dont have to walk. its very convenient. the directions were pretty simple and straightforward via mapquest. easy trip.. just takes kinda long.... stayed with a student host. great option.
 
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just hesitant about renting a car and driving that far by myself (I'm a relatively new driver).
 
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm just hesitant about renting a car and driving that far by myself (I'm a relatively new driver).

If you fly into st. louis you can take a small plane to the kirksville airport that is 15ish minutes from town. I don't know how you would get from there to school, would have to contact admissions about that
 
Just wanted to let y'all know I cancelled my interview for Dec. 7th if anyone wants to take it!
 
Aaaaaand we're back! K-C-O-M vs KCOM!!! Looks like a question I will be asking at my interview 😛. I'm sure they're interchangeable...but I want just ONE way. Haha. Not gonna happen, I'm sure.

If I think of anything specific, Dani, I will definitely ask! Thanks for the offer.

And I hope I will have the same fast going-laid back interview everyone else seems to have had. Thanks for all your input.


I had a family member with me on interview day. During the family session with advisors they were definitely advised to say K-C-O-M and not KCOM.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both my letters of recommendation and my MCAT score says "Application in Process" when I go to check my status. I haven't received a complete email, but those things should already be there. Does "App in Process" mean they haven't been received?
 
Both my letters of recommendation and my MCAT score says "Application in Process" when I go to check my status. I haven't received a complete email, but those things should already be there. Does "App in Process" mean they haven't been received?

Once they complete processing they send you a pin to view your application. At that time "App in Process" will be replaced with the date they received your documents.

I got the email with the pin a few days after completing the secondary application.
 
Once they complete processing they send you a pin to view your application. At that time "App in Process" will be replaced with the date they received your documents.

I got the email with the pin a few days after completing the secondary application.

Thanks! That makes me feel better.