ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I got a call from admissions today and I was informed I was placed on the 'alternate list', not to be confused with the 'guaranteed a seat this year or next list'. I know this is better than a rejection, but how realistic would my hope to move off this list really be?

I know the movement varies from year to year, however, I do have some questions. Approximately how big is this 'alternate list'? How about the 'guaranteed list'? Does being placed on the the list earlier in the app cycle improve my chances?

I know I am already going to write a letter of intent, and I will work on strengthening my app. This may or may not help, but it cannot hurt. I will go into this assuming I will be doing this all again next year. However there is always hope. Anyone else in purgatory with me?
 
Interviewed today, pretty good experience all around. Only downside to the entire day was finding out that we probably won't know a decision until the first Thursday of January at the earliest...
 
Just found out I got accepted today, interviewed last Monday!

When I was there I was thinking that for sure this is the school for me, facility was super nice (minus the anatomy lab), and I just kind of got a family vibe from everyone at the school.

But then I went to Southern Cal to interview at Western yesterday. On the plane I thought it was a waste of time because KCOM was so great. But then I stepped out of the plane into the 65 degree sunlight and I started reconsidering.

Well, if I get into both, deciding will be a great problem to have, both seem like good schools. Either way I'll be going somewhere next year which is cause for celebration!
 
Just found out I got accepted today, interviewed last Monday!

When I was there I was thinking that for sure this is the school for me, facility was super nice (minus the anatomy lab), and I just kind of got a family vibe from everyone at the school.

But then I went to Southern Cal to interview at Western yesterday. On the plane I thought it was a waste of time because KCOM was so great. But then I stepped out of the plane into the 65 degree sunlight and I started reconsidering.

Well, if I get into both, deciding will be a great problem to have, both seem like good schools. Either way I'll be going somewhere next year which is cause for celebration!

I don't understand the beef with the anatomy lab. I personally loved it because it was the only anatomy lab I visited that had windows (it is on the top level of a tall building in case anyone is wondering how this is possible).
 
I don't understand the beef with the anatomy lab. I personally loved it because it was the only anatomy lab I visited that had windows (it is on the top level of a tall building in case anyone is wondering how this is possible).

There was nothing wrong the the lab itself, just the state of the lab. It was absolutely filthy. Now I'm not squimish or anything like that, but it looked like there was no attempt to clean anything for at least a week or two. Talking with a couple others in my group, I think the opinion was shared.

Well, hopefully it was just a bad timing thing, I think the benefits of doing the dissections yourself will outweigh any problems I have with housecleaning.
 
What was your interview day? The anatomy lab was absolutely filthy when I was there too.

What is the filth you are talking about? I am just curious as I spent close to 15 hours in the lab in the last two weeks so I'm probably just immune to what someone from the outside would pick up on.
 
Weird ... it looked perfectly clean when I was there. It obviously isn't a brand spanking new lab like some of the newer schools have, but it was decent sized, clean, had windows ( I liked this), and had 4 people to a cadaver with full dissection.


👍
 
I'm sure what you were seeing was the corner of the lab where my group and I have taken over all the space in the windows with our crap.
 
Interviewed today, pretty good experience all around. Only downside to the entire day was finding out that we probably won't know a decision until the first Thursday of January at the earliest...
I interviewed just yesterday and absolutely loved the school and staff, now am praying to get an acceptance! This is Mayya, btw, (the New Yorker from Russia) 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone
Sorry for the bother. Just had a quick question. I am looking for some help. Basically, for the KCOM secondary, is it possible to send letters through interfolio instead of the eval form as I would hate to bother my referees again? Also is there a word/page limit for the clinical/health experience section.

Thanks
 
Hey everyone
Sorry for the bother. Just had a quick question. I am looking for some help. Basically, for the KCOM secondary, is it possible to send letters through interfolio instead of the eval form as I would hate to bother my referees again? Also is there a word/page limit for the clinical/health experience section.

Thanks
Yeah, you can submit your letters through Interfolio. As for there being a word/page limit, I don't really remember seeing one when I submitted my secondary, so if you don't see one, shouldn't sweat it too much- just keep it reasonable. Hope this helps.
 
I interviewed at KCOM on Friday 12/18 and am looking to send a letter of intent or interest. What is the difference between a letter of intent and a letter of interest? Also, what specifically goes into writing either one of these letters and does anyone know who to address it to at KCOM? Thanks 🙂
 
I interviewed at KCOM on Friday 12/18 and am looking to send a letter of intent or interest. What is the difference between a letter of intent and a letter of interest? Also, what specifically goes into writing either one of these letters and does anyone know who to address it to at KCOM? Thanks 🙂

Wow, definitely set on KCOM huh (can't blame you 😉). Technically, there is no difference in the letters. They both say, 'please take me. I love you.' However, there is an inherent difference in the term. A letter of intent should state: 'If given a spot I will attend.' IE you intend on attending (say that 5 times fast). A letter of interest says 'I am really interested in attending your school.' IE, I really like it, but I'm not committing to the point where I WILL attend (like in intent). However, in actuality, and probably to adcoms, they say the same thing. I'd get in touch with the admissions counselor you had your interview with at KCOM and send it to them (and double check that it's necessary pre-decision).
 
Does anyone know how many spots are filled in the class?

I asked that question earlier this month at my interview and they could'nt give me a firm number. But they did say they they don't even start to consider people for the waitlist until March.
My interviewer said that around this time they are usually about halfway full.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats on the acceptance! Did you end up sending in a letter of intent? I interviewed on the same day but haven't heard anything yet.
Thank you! No, I was going to do it after a decision was made on my application but I guess now I won't need to. Good luck to you!!! 🙂
 
I got an email last week requesting my Fall 2009 grades before a decision could be reached about the possiblity of an interview.:shrug: My grades were pretty good, so I'm hoping they can only help me !:xf:
 
Hello Future KCOM'rs, if any of you have any questions about the school or interviews, PM me or post on here. We have another week off so I will be on this site alot (great distraction while listening to Goljan 🙄)

I am a 2nd year at KCOM, so I will be more then willing to help anyone out.

GL
 
Wow there has not been no comments for KCOM in quite awhile! I've just returned from North Carolina for the holidays, sooo I took a very big break from my computer and SDN. I hope everyone had a very good holiday season. Does any current student know how much of a break you get between 2nd and 3rd year? I got engaged over the holidays and my fiancee and I are trying to set a permanent date for our wedding. Thanks!
 
There was nothing wrong the the lab itself, just the state of the lab. It was absolutely filthy. Now I'm not squimish or anything like that, but it looked like there was no attempt to clean anything for at least a week or two. Talking with a couple others in my group, I think the opinion was shared.

Well, hopefully it was just a bad timing thing, I think the benefits of doing the dissections yourself will outweigh any problems I have with housecleaning.

You probably came at the end of our 1st Quarter. It was a mess. When we came back it was nice again.....for a day.

Realize this will have little to no impact on the quality of your education.
 
Wow there has not been no comments for KCOM in quite awhile! I've just returned from North Carolina for the holidays, sooo I took a very big break from my computer and SDN. I hope everyone had a very good holiday season. Does any current student know how much of a break you get between 2nd and 3rd year? I got engaged over the holidays and my fiancee and I are trying to set a permanent date for our wedding. Thanks!

My first year thoughts (2nd years just went through the match and all so try and PM on of them): I think it depends on what hospital you match to. It seems everyone has a different opinion on the best time for a wedding. I know of atleast one 2nd year who's doing it between 2nd and 3rd year.

Keep in mind: 1. You'll be prepping for boards, 2. You'll likely be moving, 3. Adding a wedding in a 4-6 week window considering 1+2 will make for one hectic summer! That being said people do it every year.

Try emailing Dr. Suzewits our associate dean for clin ed. He would be the best guy to ask.
 
Wow there has not been no comments for KCOM in quite awhile! I've just returned from North Carolina for the holidays, sooo I took a very big break from my computer and SDN. I hope everyone had a very good holiday season. Does any current student know how much of a break you get between 2nd and 3rd year? I got engaged over the holidays and my fiancee and I are trying to set a permanent date for our wedding. Thanks!

Hey congrats on the engagement man! You guys should get married in KCOM's 'OMM cathedral.' It's perfect.
 
Hey congrats on the engagement man! You guys should get married in KCOM's 'OMM cathedral.' It's perfect.

hahahaha, that would be such an awesome place to have the wedding! However, she wants the wedding back in our hometown in a more traditional church.
 
hahahaha, that would be such an awesome place to have the wedding! However, she wants the wedding back in our hometown in a more traditional church.

It would probably be wise to do it her way ... make your life easier! Hahaha

This. This time a billion. My advice for planning the wedding is to pick only a couple of things that you really care about and let it be her way (with some discussion on your part and no intention of changing her mind) the rest of the time. When you hit t-one month, throw your convictions about the wedding planning to the window and do whatever you can to make her happy. She'll stress about it being perfect and you'll need to be supportive.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This. This time a billion. My advice for planning the wedding is to pick only a couple of things that you really care about and let it be her way (with some discussion on your part and no intention of changing her mind) the rest of the time. When you hit t-one month, throw your convictions about the wedding planning to the window and do whatever you can to make her happy. She'll stress about it being perfect and you'll need to be supportive.

Yes, I have figured as much, but thanks for the advice! She has been thinking about this forever, and well me, only for a couple of months now haha. It is going to be her perfect day and I am going to be very supportive of the decisions she makes. I am very excited though! Medical school at one of the best schools (IMO obviously) and getting married should make for an interesting next few years! =)
 
This. This time a billion. My advice for planning the wedding is to pick only a couple of things that you really care about and let it be her way (with some discussion on your part and no intention of changing her mind) the rest of the time. When you hit t-one month, throw your convictions about the wedding planning to the window and do whatever you can to make her happy. She'll stress about it being perfect and you'll need to be supportive.

I have one thing I want at my wedding. Doves. Glorious Doves.
 
Hi guys! I am in need of a few tips to plan my travel to Kirksville for my interview in the upcoming weeks. Biggest challenge I m facing right now is in figuring out how to get to Kirksville from either the Kansas City or St.Louis airport! (Also i wanted to know if there is an advantage in choosing one airport over the other?) I would really appreciate any advice you can offer (especially any money-saving tips, lodging info, etc... i m going totally broke with this ridiculously expensive application process!!)
Thanks in advance 4 any feedback!!
 
Hi guys! I am in need of a few tips to plan my travel to Kirksville for my interview in the upcoming weeks. Biggest challenge I m facing right now is in figuring out how to get to Kirksville from either the Kansas City or St.Louis airport! (Also i wanted to know if there is an advantage in choosing one airport over the other?) I would really appreciate any advice you can offer (especially any money-saving tips, lodging info, etc... i m going totally broke with this ridiculously expensive application process!!)
Thanks in advance 4 any feedback!!

The drive from KC will be a bit shorter (not by much). If you can get a direct flight into St. Louis, or if it's cheaper, I'd do that. If you're coming from the East, perhaps you'd favor St. Louis, as it'd be a shorter flight. All things being equal, I'd do KC.