ATSU KCOM Masters of Biomedical Science Class 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jslo85

Resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recieved notification from Dr. Sexton about an interview date at KCOM for February 17th. Is anyone else applying to this program/graduates? I'd love to hear if anyone else about their experiences or what they thought about the campus.

Members don't see this ad.

Recent graduate here. Now first year med student.

Overall great program.

Pros: M.S. degree, research experience, excellent preparation for any medical school (you take med school classes), pretty much a year long interview for medical school at KCOM, most people are great.

Cons: Kirksville (not great diversity, not a lot of things to do except drink often and heavily, which may in fact be a pro), some internal administrative conflicts, a few d-bag medical students who think they are God's gift to humanity, a few d-bag medical students who whine way too much about course work with little understanding for how lucky they are to be in medical school, 2 year wait until you can do what you really want: medicine (honestly though, time flies by quickly).

Would I do it over again? Yep. Am I where I want to be now? Definitely.

wow thanks for replying so quickly. If you can remember (probably a ways back), what sort of interview questions did you get asked and what research track did you follow (anatomy or biomedical). Are there any of the medical school class electives that you would suggest to take more than others?

I'm getting quite nervous myself, it's a long trip but I'm pretty excited. I thought I had quite a low gpa but a solid application otherwise (LOR/EC/Research/MCAT) and I'm really interested in academic medicine which I thought would be a great plus to doing this program as both an SMP and to enrich my research background.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're first question is kind of funny because while most of my interview questions were standard questions (why this program? what are your future goals? tell me about yourself? what is your experience in research?), one of my interviewers gave me two chemistry questions to solve.

It wasn't that hard to figure out the answers, but was pretty unexpected and slightly stressful. So, like all interviews in general, just be prepared for the standard questions, and realize that some interviewers like to throw you a curve ball, and try to deal with that the best way you can.

I did the biomedical research track, which I feel is the best track. Anatomy track students are fairly isolated, as there is only 1-2 of them a year. In contrast, there are around 10 biomedical track students each year who take the same classes together. If you don't mind being with yourself all the time, go for anatomy track. However, if you like to be part of a bigger group you should definitely go for the biomedical track.

You'll end up taking Biochemistry, as all students do, and from there you'll branch off into either Physiology I and II, or Biochem II and Microbiology/Immunology. Which courses you take depend largely on the department in which you complete your research.

You should also realize that while previous classes were able to transfer credits from M.S. program to the D.O. program, the curriculum is changing in 2012/2013. They are transitioning from a discipline-based approach (biochem, anatomy, physiology, pathology), to a presentation-based approach (sore throat, dizziness, nausea, chest pain) much like what is currently in place at ATSU-SOMA. Thus, if you decide to come here for medical school, your credits from the M.S. program would likely not transfer.

Whatever you do, don't be nervous. You sound like an ideal candidate. It seems like a long road ahead, but it will go by fast. Enjoy the ride.

If you have any other questions, just PM me.

Glad I found this thread. I actually interviewed on the 20th of January and received acceptance yesterday. While I have a few other options, ATSU is currently my first choice. The university, its staff and all the students I met (which were just a handful) were very nice. All of the Masters students I met were very helpful and extremely nice. The interviews I had (and you will have 3) were very relaxed and very informative. I did have one interviewer ask me a Chemistry question, but he gave it mostly in jest and it wasn't difficult by any standard. Andrea, Bill, and the research staff are very friendly and they seem to me to genuinely care for your success. I have a family, so Kirksville fits just fine for us. I could see that it might be a little less active for a single individual. Everyone I talked to seemed to really enjoy how family friendly the university itself is and how helpful they are in helping your family adjust. The school looks and feels like a university, which is a plus compared to a few others out there. Be yourself and be honest and you will know if it is going to be a good fit for you. You got an interview which means you are 90% of the way there. Good luck!! PM me if you get in, we may actually get to know each other if you do! :)

haha this thread's responses make me want to have to review gen chem because it's been so long =( . Thanks for the response btw mikeuvu. I have been exchanging pm's with chrisknight and I think the circumstances were unanimous in having applied to several other programs but that consideration on ATSU being the first choice is pretty high.

From everything and from everyone that I have heard, the people and education at KCOM really place it head and shoulders above many other insitutions. I hope I will get to see it myself in a couple weeks. From what I hear, there are only like 25 or so biomed track and 4-5 anatomy track (mine X_X) soo chances are our paths will probably cross if I get accepted.