ATSU-SOMA VS UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EZZE

Reaction score
Hi Please help me decide! I’m currently leaning towards ATSU-Soma since it is more established a closer. But I’ve heard mixed things from both schools

ATSU-SOMA ($67,000)
Pros
-Closer to home
-More established with a high match rate
-really good for family practice (I’m hoping to go into peds)
-holo lens anatomy

Cons
-switching to 2-2 from 1-3 (transition period) so the curriculum can be considered unstable and rotation clinics can be sparse
-rotation clinics are all over the country and I wouldn’t have a guess where I could go

UIWSOM ($60,000)
Pros
-cheaper
-nicer facilities
-near San Antonio
-rotations sites are all in Texas

Cons
- farther
- New dean, with questionable support from faculty
-Newer school, less established

Summary: I am leaning towards ATSU-SOMA but the change in curriculum and rotation sites being limited are making me very hesitant. If anyone can give me insight that would be very appreciated. [mention]Goro [/mention] what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I just accepted my seat at ATSU-SOMA. As far as the rotations, it is a lottery system and you give them your top 3 sites. During my interview day, I was told by staff & faculty that you will most likely get a rotation site in your top 3 list, but of course I'm sure there are an unlucky few. As far as the 1-3 to 2-2 system, even on the 1-3 system the 2nd year was still classroom learning, just already at your rotation site; now it will be done in Mesa, so I am not too sure there will be a ton of change, aside from remaining in Mesa another year.

I am an overthinker and hyper-analyze everything, and I am excited to start at ATSU-SOMA and am confident in my decision. I was offered a seat at an OOS school and ultimately chose ATSU for the benefits I saw it offered, especially given that I want to remain in Arizona as a physician, so it seemed strategic to go to a school/complete rotations in Arizona where I can network/rotate with local physicians. Plus, the high match rate and the fact that ATSU is more established are huge positives.

In addition, I work with several doctors who take students from ATSU, and they have said they are more passionate and driven at becoming doctors than other nearby schools.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I just accepted my seat at ATSU-SOMA. As far as the rotations, it is a lottery system and you give them your top 3 sites. During my interview day, I was told by staff & faculty that you will most likely get a rotation site in your top 3 list, but of course I'm sure there are an unlucky few. As far as the 1-3 to 2-2 system, even on the 1-3 system the 2nd year was still classroom learning, just already at your rotation site; now it will be done in Mesa, so I am not too sure there will be a ton of change, aside from remaining in Mesa another year.

I am an overthinker and hyper-analyze everything, and I am excited to start at ATSU-SOMA and am confident in my decision. I was offered a seat at an OOS school and ultimately chose ATSU for the benefits I saw it offered, especially given that I want to remain in Arizona as a physician, so it seemed strategic to go to a school/complete rotations in Arizona where I can network/rotate with local physicians. Plus, the high match rate and the fact that ATSU is more established are huge positives.

In addition, I work with several doctors who take students from ATSU, and they have said they are more passionate and driven at becoming doctors than other nearby schools.

Hope this helps!
Thank you that does help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same exact predicament, except I’m from CA! Deciding between UIWSOM, ATSU SOMA, and CHSU rn and I am so conflicted between the 3. Never thought this decision would be so hard but if u want to pm me about anything I’d love to hear about ur thoughts on the schools and everything

I am in the same exact predicament, except I’m from CA! Deciding between UIWSOM, ATSU SOMA, and CHSU rn and I am so conflicted between the 3. Never thought this decision would be so hard but if u want to pm me about anything I’d love to hear about ur thoughts on the schools and everything
Hi wondering if you’ve made a decision! I’m also from CA and super conflicted… I’m trying to decide between PNWU, ATSU SOMA, and RVUCOM-UT.

Hi wondering if you’ve made a decision! I’m also from CA and super conflicted… I’m trying to decide between PNWU, ATSU SOMA, and RVUCOM-UT.

About to withdraw my A from SOMA, just because of all the negativity regarding the school here on sdn, it just doesn’t seem like the best choice for me. Now trying to decide between UIWSOM and CHSU

Until ATSU-SOMA gets their act together, I would go for UIWSOM. Yes, some exams have short answer questions. But I heard they are transitioning to full MC exams! Also, the new dean is really trying to make the school better!