BCOM vs ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeddiBernedoodle

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am very fortunate to have two great acceptances to BCOM and ATSU-SOMA. Both deposits are due next week and I am struggling to decide which school would be best. There seem to be strong pros/cons for both schools. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated! I am awaiting my status post interview at Midwestern-CCOM and have a II at PNWU in April.

BCOM-NM
Pros
  • Traditional style of curriculum (better for my learning style)
  • Overall was really impressed after my interview.
  • Recent high COMPLEX pass rates
Cons
  • For-profit and newer institution
  • Further away from home
  • More expensive deposit ($2000)

ATSU-SOMA
Pros
  • More established/better reputation than BCOM; resonated with their mission
  • Has a clinical rotation site in San Diego (my hometown) though not guaranteed I would get placed there.
  • Closer to home
  • Cheaper deposit ($1000)

Cons
  • Group-style learning/curriculum - I hate group projects and am worried about the lack of structure in the curriculum (I have heard mixed reviews from recent graduates)
  • Clinical rotation sites are all over the country and the matching seems all over the place.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was accepted to SOMA & was extremely grateful to not have to matriculate there. Take that for what it's worth.
They have way too many problems with the CHC sites and constant turnover of administration & staff.
I did not like the atmosphere I got at either interview there, very cult-like.
They also do something like 8 hours a week of OMM.

Burrell is new but I would personally choose it over SOMA, easily, if those were my options.