ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatsupdoc28

Reaction score
I’ve been accepted to ATSU-SOMA and I’m strongly considering it. However I’ve been hearing about all the pros and cons about it and the curriculum change. Is there a current 1st or 2nd year who can explain their experiences at SOMA ? And what the pros/cons of their experience has been?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been accepted to ATSU-SOMA and I’m strongly considering it. However I’ve been hearing about all the pros and cons about it and the curriculum change. Is there a current 1st or 2nd year who can explain their experiences at SOMA ? And what the pros/cons of their experience has been?
Read this...

Reactions: 2 users
These problems illustrate the lack of Forward Thinking that Soma displayed, and with the loss of these rotation sites I cannot recommend the school.

Knowing that the school was going to have an increase in students, Administration should have invested heavily in securing new rotation sites, as well as upgrading their campus facilities. Only then should they have gone to the increase.

SOMA students have told me that the curriculum changes was announced out of the blue as well.

My own school is making noise about increasing our class size but this is a 5-year plan at least, and it will be done with lots of Investments

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current 4th year if you have other acceptances I would consider those heavily. The curriculum has seen changes for each class for the last three years and now a huge fundamental change to the 1+3 that they have been doing for years. Everything will be new if you come to the college now

Reactions: 3 users
Not a student there, but former ATSU KCOM student. Unless something changes drastically, there’s no sharing of clinical sites with the Kirksville sister school. There’s only enough space to absorb maybe 20 ish students anyway if that were proposed.

Certainly the location of this school doesn’t matter since almost none of their rotations are even in the same time zone.

Seems like it was pretty cool and innovative 10 years ago. Looks like a disaster now. I would honestly go to most other schools if I had the chance, including new schools as long as they get the good types of loans.

I’ve been disconnected from SOMA since I graduated in 2015; but man did I get a phenomenal education and experience when I was there. Looking back, I can’t say that I would have done better anywhere else, and could have had a worse experience at a multitude of other DO programs, even some of the traditionally more competitive schools.

I felt SOMA’s curriculum was so efficient at hammering home the nuts and bolts of clinical decision making and practical medicine that my training really took off quickly and I really did well. This freed me up to develop myself as a clinician a lot more than I would have if I was struggling.

The transition to internship from 4th year was seamless and I quickly became one of the top performing residents in my program.

It’s sad to hear that the schools model has changed so drastically because what they had going from 2011-2015 was honestly top notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users