SOMA Passes Resolution Calling for Single Licensing Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harrislakers123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A step in the right direction

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 3FB8D74E-5CCF-4A1A-B4B3-86FC96721D37.jpeg
    3FB8D74E-5CCF-4A1A-B4B3-86FC96721D37.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Wow
  • Love
Reactions: 17 users
USMLE Step O is what we should name it. (The osteopathic component).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
wow so edgy, hip and cool!
SOMA helped push SAS and NRMP/ERAS filter changes
That’s not a particularly adult reaction to someone pointing out that SOMA is little more than a chance to feel like you did something. Much like a model UN, no one really cares what they pass. At some point those students can join the “real” organizations and may change the rules themselves as members of the nbome or aacomas or even legislature

Reactions: 8 users
The AOA votes on the resolution next week, so we will see..

Reactions: 7 users
I saw somewhere that in this resolution, it was made clear that students are "grateful" for the NBOME or some such. While I can understand the purpose of such language, a majority of the DO students are not "grateful" for this organization. I am curious why SOMA, an organization that represents the DO student body has not made such resolutions more public? Like why hasn't an email been sent out to every DO student/school saying "this is our position" or something. I can promise that only about 2 students at my school even know this is going on. Also, if they just had this big meeting, why not make a statement against the administration of PE during a pandemic? Does the NBOME have a representative within SOMA?

Reactions: 4 users
I saw somewhere that in this resolution, it was made clear that students are "grateful" for the NBOME or some such. While I can understand the purpose of such language, a majority of the DO students are not "grateful" for this organization.

Honey > poop for getting people to listen.

Reactions: 5 users
Honey > poop for getting people to listen.
While I agree with that sentiment, I doubt even the sweetest of nectar would get the NBOME to listen to students.

Reactions: 6 users
That’s not a particularly adult reaction to someone pointing out that SOMA is little more than a chance to feel like you did something. Much like a model UN, no one really cares what they pass. At some point those students can join the “real” organizations and may change the rules themselves as members of the nbome or aacomas or even legislature

There is a SOMA rep on most relevant national medical organizations and they have direct pathways to submit resolutions to both the AOA and AMA

Reactions: 1 user
There is a SOMA rep on most relevant national medical organizations and they have direct pathways to submit resolutions to both the AOA and AMA
And that is a more important position than a soma resolution

Reactions: 2 users

true, benefit of a resolution is that now they have an official position to cite in communication to external organizations

Reactions: 1 users
After SOMA passes a resolution it goes on to the AOA house of delegates where they will vote to also take the resolution on...

Edit: to also add, SOMA is a direct way for students to show the AOA where they stand on issues.

After SOMA passes a resolution it goes on to the AOA house of delegates where they will vote to also take the resolution on...

Edit: to also add, SOMA is a direct way for students to show the AOA where they stand on issues.
I’m aware of the process

Reactions: 1 users
It means little, don’t hold your breath. Still better than nothing though. Like the impeachment, it doesn’t matter what stance they take if the next step will absolutely shot down.