Attend private DPT 2018, or apply for spot at cheaper public uni 2019?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mk187

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I am competitive, I think, for a couple private universities in CA.
Their tuition prices are 110k, 116k, 120k for 3 years (several different schools)

I think I have a shot getting in for next year, however, the cost is really turning me off right now.

Im wondering if i should save my application fees and wait to apply to public universities for fall 2019. Those tuition range from 50k, 74k, 85k. They are much more competitive though, and who knows, I might not even get in in 2019!! (Any thoughts on how to be competitive for schools like SDSU, CSUN, CSULB???)

I want to get started on learning about my career. I'm already 25 years old. If I wait another year to apply and then have to wait another year until the program starts, I will be 27, and I dont know what to do for that year that I'm waiting. I guess Id be working for a low salary....
And while Im waiting that year for the acceptances, I will be paying for my life while not really working towards anything! I might have to be paying my own rent for a year, without getting closer to my degree. I feel starting 2018 might not be that much of a different.

THOUGHTS PLEASE!! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should apply to both this cycle

Maybe you get into one of the public, but regardless it makes more sense to make a decision with acceptances in hand than just hypothetical

For the sake of illustration let's say you turn away a spot for 116k and happen to get accepted at one for 74k.

116k - 74k = +42k

You will have spent one year working for low salary, we'll call it 24k.

42k + 24k = +66k

Minus the cost of another round of applications (interviews, PTCAS fee, supplemental fees, trasncripts)

66k - 1k = +65k saved compared to attending private school this year

But, you could have finished school 1 year sooner and worked for 1 year as a PT. Let's call your starting salary in California 70k as a safe conservative figure, of which you'd probably take home 58k after taxes etc.

65k - 58k = 7k, you save about $7k

This is a very rough estimation but it may give you some idea. There are other considerations. Do you currently have interest accruing on undergrad loans? Are you looking to start out in outpatient ortho or are you going to take a higher paying job doing travel PT or SNF? Do you have a husband or wife with baby fever? Every year you wait you risk interest rates on home mortgages (and certain student loans) increasing, and every year thousands of new PT's graduate and enter the job market. This also assumes you get accepted to a public school in CA which is no small feat.

Personally, I would only wait a year to attend a cheaper school if I already had a well-paying job or if I really didn't like the private options available to me for reasons beyond cost.

By the way, if you're open to applying outside CA, you can find options cheaper than a CA private school, such as public schools in a state where you can get residency, or a lower-cost private school in a low-COL area. The cost of something like Samuel Merritt is insane. Also I don't know where you think you're getting 50k tuition in California

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to both now. Things will only get competitive the longer you wait. These private schools may also have $$ to give which make it more reasonable; few do it, but my program did.

Is cost of living different among your options? Don't just compare tuition numbers. Those numbers are really high, but if you can live at home or live cheap at one of them, that will help offset whereas a state school may be higher in that category.

Personally I would go with the private school this year rather than waiting a year for a public school acceptance that may not even happen. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. You could save some money on tuition if you waited a year and went to a public school, but you'll be entering the workforce a year later. Unless you're at a high paying job now the amount of money saved could be a wash.

Thank you everyone for your reply
And thank you Skyris for breaking that down for me; puts it in perspective, that ~7k I would save could be invested in a year of more experience and a year closer to a promotion, etc.

I will try my cards at private schools this year. Luckily I have no student loans atm.
I'm overwhelmed on how to apply to out of state schools. If they interview, It would be expensive flying out for just a day..
I havent been to many other states too so I feel like its a shot in the dark applying to these schools! I will look into it. Thank you!

Thank you everyone for your reply
And thank you Skyris for breaking that down for me; puts it in perspective, that ~7k I would save could be invested in a year of more experience and a year closer to a promotion, etc.

I will try my cards at private schools this year. Luckily I have no student loans atm.
I'm overwhelmed on how to apply to out of state schools. If they interview, It would be expensive flying out for just a day..
I havent been to many other states too so I feel like its a shot in the dark applying to these schools! I will look into it. Thank you!

Yes it is expensive to get to out of state interviews, but if it's why you want to do it's worth it in the long run. Research the schools. Many schools don't interview.

How do you chose which program to attend if youre looking at out of state options?
Me:
"I think it would be nice to live in Ohio. *check Ohio university tuition. Looks cheap. Put on list."
How can I make better decisions? Important factors?