Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Attending a pharmacy school that just got FULLY accredited?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Mendria, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Mendria

It seems a majority of people think that West Coast University School of Pharmacy in LA is a terrible choice. I was accepted, and I really liked the campus, the teachers, and research opportunities. They are still Candidate status, but they may be fully accredited this June if all goes well. Would people still be against going to this school once they get fully accredited because they are new and for profit? Whenever I read about what people say about this school, it scares me away but part of me thinks they will be very successful. By the time I graduate, (all theoretical to if they get accredited this June) they will have been fully accredited for 4 years. I really was hoping to get some advice/opinions on this.
    Thabks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. capri1722

capri1722 CU Skaggs c/o 2022

Pre-Pharmacy
    The main advice I’ve gotten re: avoiding schools with candidate or precandidate status has boiled down to two things: risk and reputation.

Risk: By choosing to go to a school that is not yet fully accredited, you risk them not being accredited by the time you graduate. The school will tell you it’s an unlikely possibility, and that may be true, but it is possible nonetheless.

Reputation: I don’t mean this to sound snooty like, “If it’s not ranked top 5, it’s not worth it,” or whatever, but more like you don’t know if they are adequately preparing their graduates for their profession because they have no graduates. If I understand correctly, a school with precandidate status means they currently have no pharmacy students and are looking to accept their first class. A school with candidate status currently has pharmacy students, but no graduates yet. A school without full accreditation cannot tell you their NAPLEX/MPJE pass rates, residency match rates, etc. because they have no data. What if you find out after enrolling that their class of 2018 only had a 75% NAPLEX pass rate? This is another risk, and not one worth taking IMO.

DailyDaisies likes this.
  4. Mendria

Thanks for the reply. I will accept the offer but not actually attend in the fall unless they get fully accredited this spring. So I guess that's still a risk? Even though when I attend they will be fully accredited, I might still have problems 4 years later because I went to this school?

5. lalaland33

Pre-Pharmacy
    This is a better decision. If they're not accredited by the time you enroll it's not worth it. The rank itself is not important but like capri said, knowing things such as what graduates from the school are doing, NAPLEX pass rates, residency match rates, etc. is important.

6. stoichiometrist

The real risk isn't just with accreditation of WCU, it is with the job market saturation. California is already extremely saturated, yet we still have 5 or so schools that have not even graduated their first class; imagine how the job market will be then. Are you willing to fight in the Hunger Games to land a job to hopefully pay off $200k+ in student loans within your lifetime?