Attending conferences and impact on medical school app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nolee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just looking over the AMCAS activities section and realized that it had an entire portion dedicated to conference attendance. It never even occurred that I should be attending conferences at this point--how much does this impact your app? If I leave this portion completely blank, do you think it somehow casts me in a non-positive light? Sorry for the anal question (being a pre-med tends to have that effect unfortunately =( ), and thanks in advance for any answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Not having attended a conference in and of itself won't hurt your application. If you have an opportunity to attend one you should, though. They're a lot of fun. Are you working in a lab/on any sort of research project?

I was just looking over the AMCAS activities section and realized that it had an entire portion dedicated to conference attendance. It never even occurred that I should be attending conferences at this point--how much does this impact your app? If I leave this portion completely blank, do you think it somehow casts me in a non-positive light? Sorry for the anal question (being a pre-med tends to have that effect unfortunately =( ), and thanks in advance for any answers!
Just in case this wasn't obvious, it doesn't simply mean going to random conferences that interest you. If you're giving a poster presentation or talk then it's a nice addition to your app.

Honestly, this section is only for presentations given at conferences, poster or oral. It's not expected that most undergrads will have produced something worth presenting at a conference, so if you do, it's a plus and clearly a talking point for your interviews (so make sure you can discuss the research). I'm an MS2, I gave a poster presentation at a national conference last week, and it was considered notable that I wasn't an MS4 or higher.