Attending conferences and impact on medical school app

Feb 1, 2012
Status
I was just looking over the AMCAS activities section and realized that it had an entire portion dedicated to conference attendance. It never even occurred that I should be attending conferences at this point--how much does this impact your app? If I leave this portion completely blank, do you think it somehow casts me in a non-positive light? Sorry for the anal question (being a pre-med tends to have that effect unfortunately =( ), and thanks in advance for any answers!

sinombre

surviving
May 20, 2012
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Not having attended a conference in and of itself won't hurt your application. If you have an opportunity to attend one you should, though. They're a lot of fun. Are you working in a lab/on any sort of research project?

DrEnderW

7+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2012
Rishi Maze
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was just looking over the AMCAS activities section and realized that it had an entire portion dedicated to conference attendance. It never even occurred that I should be attending conferences at this point--how much does this impact your app? If I leave this portion completely blank, do you think it somehow casts me in a non-positive light? Sorry for the anal question (being a pre-med tends to have that effect unfortunately =( ), and thanks in advance for any answers!
Just in case this wasn't obvious, it doesn't simply mean going to random conferences that interest you. If you're giving a poster presentation or talk then it's a nice addition to your app.

redpanda

Fellow-lol
Oct 6, 2009
Status
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Honestly, this section is only for presentations given at conferences, poster or oral. It's not expected that most undergrads will have produced something worth presenting at a conference, so if you do, it's a plus and clearly a talking point for your interviews (so make sure you can discuss the research). I'm an MS2, I gave a poster presentation at a national conference last week, and it was considered notable that I wasn't an MS4 or higher.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads