Attending conferences and impact on medical school app

Feb 1, 2012
Status
I was just looking over the AMCAS activities section and realized that it had an entire portion dedicated to conference attendance. It never even occurred that I should be attending conferences at this point--how much does this impact your app? If I leave this portion completely blank, do you think it somehow casts me in a non-positive light? Sorry for the anal question (being a pre-med tends to have that effect unfortunately =( ), and thanks in advance for any answers!

sinombre

carboloading
7+ Year Member
May 20, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not having attended a conference in and of itself won't hurt your application. If you have an opportunity to attend one you should, though. They're a lot of fun. Are you working in a lab/on any sort of research project?

DrEnderW

5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2012
Rishi Maze
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was just looking over the AMCAS activities section and realized that it had an entire portion dedicated to conference attendance. It never even occurred that I should be attending conferences at this point--how much does this impact your app? If I leave this portion completely blank, do you think it somehow casts me in a non-positive light? Sorry for the anal question (being a pre-med tends to have that effect unfortunately =( ), and thanks in advance for any answers!
Just in case this wasn't obvious, it doesn't simply mean going to random conferences that interest you. If you're giving a poster presentation or talk then it's a nice addition to your app.

redpanda

Fellow-lol
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Honestly, this section is only for presentations given at conferences, poster or oral. It's not expected that most undergrads will have produced something worth presenting at a conference, so if you do, it's a plus and clearly a talking point for your interviews (so make sure you can discuss the research). I'm an MS2, I gave a poster presentation at a national conference last week, and it was considered notable that I wasn't an MS4 or higher.