Attending dental school in another state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golden_blue

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I got into a dental school that is not in my state or at least the state that I don't want to practice after I graduate, and I'm wondering if it is easy to come back to my state after I graduate? I know I would get the same education/degree, but I'm concerned about the network I built up during the school and the name of the school may not be known by people in my state. Also, that state is in a different license system to my state, so I'm wondering if it'll be hard to get the license later. Any thoughts on this? Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

When you come back to your own state, you'll just have to take the licensing exam there. It's not a big deal, and people do it all the time. Are you worried about other dentists not knowing the name of your school or patients? Patients don't care, and they don't know the names of schools anyways. Some dentists are weird and prejudiced about which school you went to, but most don't care either. What matters most is your personality and the quality of your dentistry.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there! I got into a dental school that is not in my state or at least the state that I don't want to practice after I graduate, and I'm wondering if it is easy to come back to my state after I graduate? I know I would get the same education/degree, but I'm concerned about the network I built up during the school and the name of the school may not be known by people in my state. Also, that state is in a different license system to my state, so I'm wondering if it'll be hard to get the license later. Any thoughts on this? Thanks a lot in advance!
Many schools will offer both the WREB and CDCA, I wouldn't worry about licensure. Also, I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. In the big picture those are really small details. The name of the school will only get you so far; but your work will speak for itself. Wherever you go, do your best to LEARN. I don't mean that condescendingly, I mean you get out what you put in. You'd be amazed at how many put in the bare minimum just to get the degree, while others really try to get the most out of their experience by taking advantage of every opportunity they can. Be the latter, it will serve you far better than the school name.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know the intricacies of interstate licensure but I don't think it's too big of a deal to take the state boards in wherever you wish to practice. At least not in the big scheme of things. The only drawback is that you'll be networking in a state that you don't wish to practice in.

When you come back to your own state, you'll just have to take the licensing exam there. It's not a big deal, and people do it all the time. Are you worried about other dentists not knowing the name of your school or patients? Patients don't care, and they don't know the names of schools anyways. Some dentists are weird and prejudiced about which school you went to, but most don't care either. What matters most is your personality and the quality of your dentistry.
Thank you for your reply! I randomly checked a few dentists around me, they're all from the dental school in my area, so I'm concerned that when dentist hire people, will they prefer local or their alumni? As for the licensing exam, I guess it's harder to find patients?

Many schools will offer both the WREB and CDCA, I wouldn't worry about licensure. Also, I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. In the big picture those are really small details. The name of the school will only get you so far; but your work will speak for itself. Wherever you go, do your best to LEARN. I don't mean that condescendingly, I mean you get out what you put in. You'd be amazed at how many put in the bare minimum just to get the degree, while others really try to get the most out of their experience by taking advantage of every opportunity they can. Be the latter, it will serve you far better than the school name.
Thank you for your knee advice!

I don't know the intricacies of interstate licensure but I don't think it's too big of a deal to take the state boards in wherever you wish to practice. At least not in the big scheme of things. The only drawback is that you'll be networking in a state that you don't wish to practice in.
Yea, it's not impossible, but harder I guess

Thank you for your reply! I randomly checked a few dentists around me, they're all from the dental school in my area, so I'm concerned that when dentist hire people, will they prefer local or their alumni? As for the licensing exam, I guess it's harder to find patients?
Dw about that, they just want a good dentist with a good personality.

Reactions: 1 user