Going to School in Dream State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user1234567892

Reaction score
So I need some advice from someone. Here’s my situation:

I have just applied to a few schools and have interviewed at 2 and one coming up in December. One of the schools is in-state and will cost me about $150k. Another school that I interviewed at I really like and have had family attend that school so it’s kind of a legacy thing. It’s going to cost me about $300k.

But here’s where I’m having a dilemma. I love Colorado. If I could live anywhere it would be there. Problem is that it’s far away but close to the same price as my legacy school (~300k). Should I chase my dreams and be out close to $500k after living expenses or do I play it safe and attend the in state school? Should I just apply? All of this hit me today and I think I may try and see what happens. (All of this is assuming I get in everywhere)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t recommend burying yourself in more debt. Graduate with as little as possible, crush your loans in a few years and then comfortably move to your dream state. There’s no reason to bury yourself in unnecessary debt if you don’t have to. Please take the advice of the people walking before you.

You’re looking at like ~1500-2000/month for a few years or almost 6000/month for 15 years….is that worth it? (…no.)

Reactions: 2 users
So I need some advice from someone. Here’s my situation:

I have just applied to a few schools and have interviewed at 2 and one coming up in December. One of the schools is in-state and will cost me about $150k. Another school that I interviewed at I really like and have had family attend that school so it’s kind of a legacy thing. It’s going to cost me about $300k.

But here’s where I’m having a dilemma. I love Colorado. If I could live anywhere it would be there. Problem is that it’s far away but close to the same price as my legacy school (~300k). Should I chase my dreams and be out close to $500k after living expenses or do I play it safe and attend the in state school? Should I just apply? All of this hit me today and I think I may try and see what happens. (All of this is assuming I get in everywhere)
cheaper...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t recommend burying yourself in more debt. Graduate with as little as possible, crush your loans in a few years and then comfortably move to your dream state. There’s no reason to bury yourself in unnecessary debt if you don’t have to. Please take the advice of the people walking before you.

You’re looking at like ~1500-2000/month for a few years or almost 6000/month for 15 years….is that worth it? (…no.)
Yeah I appreciate it. Need to quit overthinking all of this lol

Reactions: 1 user
Dental school only lasts 4 years. But the debt can last forever if you pick the wrong school.

Reactions: 3 users
Should I chase my dreams and be out close to $500k after living expenses
What's meant by be out close to $500k? Are you spending family resources or borrowing money? If borrowing, then attend cheapest school. Family resources, maybe you have sufficient financial resources that make $500k a nominal commitment.

I went through something similar when applying to dental school. Idolizing a certain city/state/school. I ended up going in state and saving way more money. As others have said, dental school is 4 years and after that you can totally move to Colorado and practice. Heck, you may end up specializing and doing residency out there.

My dad would always used to say, "if you like it that much while living somewhere else...you can just visit until you move there" haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users