Attending Grand Rounds and Case Conferences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Genetics

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on this message board attend grand rounds for any specific department just because they want to? I do!

Anyone on this message board attend case conferences for any specific department just because they want to? I do!

I’m not trying to brag at all here, just wondering if other students do as well (this is not a medical student type question). If you do attend these, what do you feel you get out of attending them? Do you find them to help you learn?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been to a few grand rounds for psychiatry, but I work in that department. I've also attended lectures in neurosurgery out of personal interest, and I can say that I feel a little uncomfortable when I'm the only one there under 65 without a white coat on. It seems like everyone was either a retired/almost retired private neurosurgeon or a resident/attending at the hospital. Of course, I was the only one who everyone didn't know, and the only one who was pretty clueless on a lot of the information they covered. It's still worth going though, and I look forward to the next one I go to. =0)

I have been attending Infectious Disease grand round conferences and journal clubs for the past six years. At first they were way over my head but know I am very familiar with the disease nomenclature, drug regimens etc. Eventhough those types of conferences are not designed for undergrades I think attending them gives the student a lot of insight into the field. I make sure that I learn at least one new thing from each conference:cool:

At my school we have lunchtime lectures/conferences etc. maybe 3 days out of every 5 in the main auditorium, everything from financial aid day and career information for students to guest biochemistry professors lecturing on some new enzyme. Free lunch, usually pizza or deli sandwiches. Well, several of the local homeless folks have discovered this, and now they crowd in with the rest of us (I don't go nearly as often as last year but still), more and more every day. The faculty was OK with it at first, but now it's turning into a veritable soup kitchen and I'm interested to see what happens.