Attention all Emergency Medicine Applicants: Official EM 17-18 Application & Interview Spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runthiscity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow EM applicants,

So I totally decided to rip off the "Official 2016-2017 Anesthesia Application and Interview Spreadsheet" (see here: )

Obviously this will only work if people are willing to contribute- and hopefully take it seriously. I've got us started off and will continue to edit information as the application/interview season unfolds.

Pretty please play nice and respect your open editing power so I don't have to close it down.

Hopefully there are no glaring errors thus far; if there are, feel free to point them out and I'll fix them. If there's anything else you want to see added, let me know and I'll make it happen!

Here's the link to the google sheet:

Best of luck to everyone applying!

Edit: the Applicant Info tab has been locked. Here's a Google Form that's linked directly to the spreadsheet to contribute your stats: Official 2017-2018 Emergency Medicine Application and Interview Spreadsheet: Applicant Info Thank you to all those who have contributed!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for doing this! Was thinking about doing something similar.

Heads up: SDN has this annoying bug where it takes all Google Sheet links and turns them into embedded Google Sheets within the post page, so you can't click it and open it in a separate window. Anesthesia gets around that by pasting the link with a bunch of spaces, then asking the user to copy-paste the URL and delete the spaces. Or you can click here: http://goo.gl/J64rg5

The best option to deter vandalism is to make a Google Form for each section, so that users can anonymously submit but can't edit previously-submitted information. As the spreadsheet owner, you can delete any new submissions that are obviously garbage. I'm happy to set this up for you if you want. The anesthesia one I looked at had notations all over the place saying "Heads up, people are deleting/modifying/vandalizing this sheet. I figured this would happen, but I wanted to formally announce it."

The other option is to turn this into a private document that requires a login to edit. Knuckleheads gonna knucklehead, and all. Creating a sockpuppet gmail account is easy but is also enough of a barrier, and any vandalism would be trackable to a single account or two through the track changes feature.

Also on the IV Dates tab, the "Dates available" section should be "Dates offered," rather than "available," since available implies that the dates haven't been booked solid yet.

Last edited:
To whoever deleted all the COMLEX scores, as well as my personal entry (and perhaps those of others), NOT COOL AT ALL! I'm going to lock it and make it submission via google forms only if people can't play nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
To whoever deleted all the COMLEX scores, as well as my personal entry (and perhaps those of others), NOT COOL AT ALL! I'm going to lock it and make it submission via google forms only if people can't play nice.
I would just do this from the get-go. You will always have the inevitable troll that ****s up the anonymous data set.

It's honestly embarrassing.

How do you want us to give updates if we have already put some info into the spread sheet?

How do you want us to give updates if we have already put some info into the spread sheet?

Resubmit the form (linked within the spreadsheet) with the same username, leave all the cells empty except the updated info. Your username will get highlighted in the first column for being a duplicate, and I'll manually merge the information and keep just one entry for the newest info, located at the bottom (so it's easy to find newer submissions).

It's kind of the only way to decrease vandalism... I considered de-protecting the fields for number of interviews, etc, and opening them back up to the general public, but I didn't want anyone to be able to do a massive delete all in one go.

Reactions: 1 users
It just no longer exists for me haha. The links are not showing and it is off both of my google accounts. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5072.PNG
    IMG_5072.PNG
    159 KB · Views: 77
I miss reading the forum posts big time. Out of curiosity sake I've tried reading that spreadsheet chat portion. Kind of a disaster. Not that it's designed for me anyhow.

Not to mention some of the things posted there though are pretty off. Not just in regards to my program. Definitely would benefit from others input.

Reactions: 1 users
I miss reading the forum posts big time. Out of curiosity sake I've tried reading that spreadsheet chat portion. Kind of a disaster. Not that it's designed for me anyhow.

Not to mention some of the things posted there though are pretty off. Not just in regards to my program. Definitely would benefit from others input.

I agree. I wish we could have just kept stats/numbers in the spreadsheet and chat on here. And in response to your observation of misinformation being conveyed on the chat tab, I agree, and it would be really nice to be having those conversations about specific programs on SDN where there are residents and attendings with more experience networking and interacting with grads of these programs to weigh in - not just applicants talking up or shaming programs they have never interacted with in their life.

I agree. I wish we could have just kept stats/numbers in the spreadsheet and chat on here. And in response to your observation of misinformation being conveyed on the chat tab, I agree, and it would be really nice to be having those conversations about specific programs on SDN where there are residents and attendings with more experience networking and interacting with grads of these programs to weigh in - not just applicants talking up or shaming programs they have never interacted with in their life.
I completely agree. My attempt at removing the chat tab resulted in someone else just remaking it, though. Now that it's mid-December and few interview invites are being handed out, I suppose I could make the whole thing view-only and basically be like "Spreadsheet's closed for the season"... But I think there's a large contingent of applicants who prefer the low-quality anonymous chat who would be angry about it, and who am I to take away their fun?

Anybody know what time Loma Linda interviews? Trying to make flights but they haven't sent anyting out...