Attitude at workplace (Hospital)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nano1971

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys..I need help..how do you handle attitudes in workplace especially newly hired..and how that unhealthy environment affect your work performance ????

Members don't see this ad.

The one who is always complaining is usually the one who does the least work.

I know this one tech who always talks about teamwork but she called off more days than everyone else combined. You can't be a team player when you don't even show up to work. Every time she talks, I would just roll my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 7 users
The one who is always complaining is usually the one who does the least work.

YESSSSSS OMG Yes. So true. Like x infinity. It just kills me when our slowest techs complain about how overworked they are. Tech please, you fill 80 scripts in 8 hours, take two smoke breaks, and check your phone more often than caterpillars have legs, you are NOT overworked. The best part is when they complain about someone else not pulling their weight...it's like, have I fallen through a hole and landed in opposite world? How can you, the person who fills the least scripts, possibly complain about someone else not doing enough? Up is down, down is up, the world makes no sense!

It's true of pharmacists as well, my coworkers who work the hardest mostly don't complain and the dead weight gripe all day. SMH

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Watch Game of Thrones and pay attention to how Littlefinger deals with people. Be like Littlefinger.

Reactions: 7 users
Watch Game of Thrones and pay attention to how Littlefinger deals with people. Be like Littlefinger.

One of my more unctuous coworkers tries this....but comes across as a brown nosing spider.

How can a person look friendly and at the same time completely unscrupulous?

With a grain of salt. If you are openly looking like you're planning something, people are better at reading the unconscious cues and it comes off worse. Best person to watch for those sorts of breaks in concentration is to watch some episodes of The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross when he's with other people. There's some rather subtle clues when you watch Bob Ross interact with fellow painters that there's a much more stringent and less sympathetic core to the congenial person he projects himself as (he certainly isn't at the Mr. Rogers level). There's no way around it, you don't become a NCO by always being an Eagle Scout. But it's important that Bob Ross does make it a point to be reasonable and sincere even when those breaks happen. It's better to find some balance between your natural self and office norms (which do not always including being polite depending on the scenario) and forget yourself into that role. The easiest way to deal with those subliminal cues is to have a level of honesty even if you are not being nice. It's ok to be projecting "I'm so $()#ing pissed with you" yet keeping a civil tone than to try to Littlefinger it as it comes across in negative ways to everyone.

Watch out for people in the hospital. Don't trust anyone. They can smile with you but the stab you hard in the back for their own benefits. Be firm with technician, but not too strict. They can watch your back, or stab you in the back too.

Reactions: 5 users
Watch out for people in the hospital. Don't trust anyone. They can smile with you but the stab you hard in the back for their own benefits. Be firm with technician, but not too strict. They can watch your back, or stab you in the back too.

Thanks guys for all the input..i can't agree more with stabing you hard on the back..its so sad how to realize that such behavoir exist and its the norm...what is the main reason for that its hard to believe that mentality exist ??

YESSSSSS OMG Yes. So true. Like x infinity. It just kills me when our slowest techs complain about how overworked they are. Tech please, you fill 80 scripts in 8 hours, take two smoke breaks, and check your phone more often than caterpillars have legs, you are NOT overworked. The best part is when they complain about someone else not pulling their weight...it's like, have I fallen through a hole and landed in opposite world? How can you, the person who fills the least scripts, possibly complain about someone else not doing enough? Up is down, down is up, the world makes no sense!

It's true of pharmacists as well, my coworkers who work the hardest mostly don't complain and the dead weight gripe all day. SMH

You hire smokers, really? That's overtly discriminated against in most pharmacies.

You hire smokers, really? That's overtly discriminated against in most pharmacies.

Not anywhere I have ever worked. I mean CVS had a huge campaign to reduce smoking but I still worked with people who smoked. Maybe it is just more prevalent down here? I don't know. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys for all the input..i can't agree more with stabing you hard on the back..its so sad how to realize that such behavoir exist and its the norm...what is the main reason for that its hard to believe that mentality exist ??

LOL How naive can you be?

There are lots of reasons for it. One is insecurity - if someone is insecure about their job they might think it benefits them to make their coworkers look worse. Another I think is when people have too much time on their hands they use it to make trouble.

I get what you are saying though, it is weird and counterproductive. Being seen as a snake in the grass is a great way to alienate people and is a hard reputation to get away from. But to each their own I guess.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont expect much from anyone. You cant be surprised if they have no pedestal you put them on.

I love this plot..cant wait to see who's left standing at the end

So true. When I did rotations at a hospital, I watched as the pharmacist I followed write up another pharmacist while they went out for lunch cause of a small mistake cause they get...points? out of it. When everyone is together they all seem like they all get along very well but behind the scenes....

Reactions: 1 users
This is not really just a hospital thing. It's usually the crap pharmacists or crap techs who want to get back at you to compensate for their shortcomings.

Reactions: 1 user
So true. When I did rotations at a hospital, I watched as the pharmacist I followed write up another pharmacist while they went out for lunch cause of a small mistake cause they get...points? out of it. When everyone is together they all seem like they all get along very well but behind the scenes....

This is what I hate so much. I don't see any other professional degree job that does this. Doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc are all in partnerships or co-owners/providers while pharmacists write each other up to get points. As if playing hunger games for finding a job isn't great enough, we also continue to play it while having a job. No wonder no one views us in the same category as other professionals. Just a higher paid cubical worker of healthcare.

This is what I hate so much. I don't see any other professional degree job that does this. Doctors, lawyers, dentists, etc are all in partnerships or co-owners/providers while pharmacists write each other up to get points. As if playing hunger games for finding a job isn't great enough, we also continue to play it while having a job. No wonder no one views us in the same category as other professionals. Just a higher paid cubical worker of healthcare.

Well, in essence, we are. Doctors and nurses are in a constant battle over the healthcare pie, and pharmacists are the awkward kid in the basement fighting over the crumbs. With PA's, NP's, APN's, ND's, and what ever else unicorn profession pops-up, Pharmacists' do not have the organization nor the drive to take up more of a clinical role, they have more value in healthcare administrative roles -- that, or more of a public health role, imo.

As if playing hunger games for finding a job isn't great enough, we also continue to play it while having a job.
For some reason it feels like pharmacists just arent chill. Maybe it's just me, but i feel like we're all in this contest to see who has the most clinical knowledge or has the most credentials or who "cares" the most about their patients or isn't doing their ever expanding job. By the way, are you still living in a rural area?

Reactions: 2 users
So true. When I did rotations at a hospital, I watched as the pharmacist I followed write up another pharmacist while they went out for lunch cause of a small mistake cause they get...points? out of it. When everyone is together they all seem like they all get along very well but behind thescenes....

Cannot agree more.... backstabbing ....
It's their insecurities that makes them mean and make them looks more at power when they write up silly mistakes..smthing not ok!!!!

So true. When I did rotations at a hospital, I watched as the pharmacist I followed write up another pharmacist while they went out for lunch cause of a small mistake cause they get...points? out of it. When everyone is together they all seem like they all get along very well but behind thescenes....

Cannot agree more.... backstabbing ....
It's their insecurities that makes them mean and make them looks more at power when they write up silly mistakes..smthing not ok!!!!

Yea same scenario at a big hospital in the tri-state area. Everything is fine and dandy when everyone's down in the basement...as soon as someone goes on break....they start talking sht about the other person. Maybe it's better in the satellite pharmacy because a bunch of people together in the basement with 4 walls and no windows will do that.

Not anywhere I have ever worked. I mean CVS had a huge campaign to reduce smoking but I still worked with people who smoked. Maybe it is just more prevalent down here? I don't know. :shrug:

It's hospitals, most hospitals won't hire employees who test positive for nicotine. I've never heard of a retail pharmacy that cares if their employees smoke (I mean, they might care, but they still employ them.)

This is not really just a hospital thing. It's usually the crap pharmacists or crap techs who want to get back at you to compensate for their shortcomings.

It's far worse at hospitals....retail is too busy I guess to have time to gossip. Of course, there is some gossip in retail, but nothing like what is seen in a hospital.