Attn: UBC Students re. Campus Tour 2006/Book list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanMaverick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all you new UBC students out there. I'm sure you've all gotten the email regarding the CPhA Campus Tour 2006. It asks us to pre-order the textbooks we require so that we receive the members price when we pick them up, and gives us a booklist. Is anybody actually doing this? Does anybody know what books we even need at this point? Anybody with some mroe info regarding this?

Thanks, Ryan.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you know now, the email has been sent out.

Yup, lock/delete mods if possible. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
AvaP said:
I guess you know now, the email has been sent out.

Hi. I've just come across this board today. I'm also starting Pharmacy at UBC in September. Are you referring to the email re: Pharm 202 textbooks? That is the only one I've received regarding what books we will need. There are still a bunch of other ones that I'm not sure we need to preorder from the CPhA. Anyone know? Thanks! :)

wow, seems to be more and more people from ubc pharmacy, which is great!
I'm not sure about the other courses, but I would probably wait until mid-August when the bookstore posts their list and if we get anymore emails from the faculty. Don't fret about books people, enjoy your summer.

i was hoping for some 2nd hand books but it is damn near impossible.

ERRRRRRRRRR
I don't have $2000 to dish out for books!

How come this thread only gets replies after I say to lock/delete it? Weird. I guess it could be the Book List thread. I don't think 1st year books should total anywhere near $2000. The CPS we get for free ($40 i guess to join CPhA), Therapeutics is required for almost every class ($300 ish), couple lab manuals ($120), and few other textbooks for various classes ($700 MAX). The only way it'd be that expensive is if you needed to buy brand new texts for all the electives classes and they were all $120+. I'm guessing anywhere from $800 to $1.2K depending on electives.

I think it just takes some time to get a thread going. It's possible to get used books for your non-pharmacy courses, ie. anat, phyl, chem, stat. As for the pharmacy courses, I have heard that most students prefer to keep their textbooks for reference or for the licensing exam when you graduate so it would be difficult to find used texts for those. But I don't think it will add to $2000 if you can get the right deals on used texts. But I totally understand your pain Babuamus, textbooks are just so expensive to begin with. Sucks!

You may try half.com, from ebay, for your text needs. I purchased all my texts for next semester from this site. I was a little leary at first, but it is legit. I saved around $200 for all my books. Just use the ISBN# when you search.

we are in Canada...
half.com works wonder for American students,
if you add the shipping cost(s) I rather copy the book by hand LOL

Do we need those textbooks offered by CPhA?

//katherine

The only book we've been told we need so far from the CPhA is Therapeutic Choices for Phar 202. Other than that, I'm assuming we'll be told in the next few weeks what books are required.