AUA vs SABA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amgi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had been accepted in 4 Carib schools in total but I'm trying to decide between this two. I want to see opinions of current students in terms of:
1. How many started first semester and how many finished?
2. How lectures are given? AUA have me all confuse will the new 10 students classes and all the technology. I'm old school over 35 y/o student so I'm not a big fan of sitting to listening 4 hours long videos.
3. How easy are rotations assignments given. Waiting time and stuff like that.
4. Research: I know SABA have a research module in where you can even get to publish I haven't heard or find anything from AUA.
5. Quality of life at the island. How easy is to do your groceries and things like that. I have friends at st Kitts that have their groceries shipped over and that sound a little complicated to me.

Any insight is good.

Members don't see this ad.

I know you've already heard this, but you shouldn't go to any Carrib school. The risk of not matching isn't worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you reached out to those two schools to see if any current students are willing to answer your questions? That could help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I did. I was trying to get an opinion for someone that might not be biased.

Reactions: 1 user
I had been accepted in 4 Carib schools in total but I'm trying to decide between this two. I want to see opinions of current students in terms of:
2. How lectures are given? AUA have me all confuse will the new 10 students classes and all the technology. I'm old school over 35 y/o student so I'm not a big fan of sitting to listening 4 hours long videos.
4. Research: I know SABA have a research module in where you can even get to publish I haven't heard or find anything from AUA.
5. Quality of life at the island. How easy is to do your groceries and things like that. I have friends at st Kitts that have their groceries shipped over and that sound a little complicated to me.

Any insight is good.

I'm an SGU grad so not your target demographic, but I can tell you a few of these things.

No matter where you go, there will be long hours of boring lectures with hundreds of slides in them pretty much daily, whether recorded or in-person. That's just how med school works. While I suppose you could try to learn the material just by reading the slides, I wouldn't recommend it. You will almost certainly have to review the lectures themselves at least once. They don't call it "drinking from a firehose" for nothing.

Clerkships are a pain to organize as an IMG. In most cases the onus is on you to set up your rotations.

Waiting is the name of the game for medicine. You are always waiting on something or someone.

Research at a Caribbean medical school is a complete waste of your time if you're trying to get a US residency. Your time is almost definitely spent better focusing on your Step studies.

Quality of life of a medical student and resident sucks everywhere. It sucks especially hard in the Caribbean. Amenities/groceries are usually expensive if you buy anything besides locally-grown/produced, Infrastructure is unreliable. Climate is problematic. Transportation is difficult. The simplest of things like paying your electric bill can be a nightmare that takes all day.

Strongly reconsider. Caribbean can be a viable path for some to physician-hood, but there are almost always better options for most people.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an SGU grad so not your target demographic, but I can tell you a few of these things.

No matter where you go, there will be long hours of boring lectures with hundreds of slides in them pretty much daily, whether recorded or in-person. That's just how med school works. While I suppose you could try to learn the material just by reading the slides, I wouldn't recommend it. You will almost certainly have to review the lectures themselves at least once. They don't call it "drinking from a firehose" for nothing.

Clerkships are a pain to organize as an IMG. In most cases the onus is on you to set up your rotations.

Waiting is the name of the game for medicine. You are always waiting on something or someone.

Research at a Caribbean medical school is a complete waste of your time if you're trying to get a US residency. Your time is almost definitely spent better focusing on your Step studies.

Quality of life of a medical student and resident sucks everywhere. It sucks especially hard in the Caribbean. Amenities/groceries are usually expensive if you buy anything besides locally-grown/produced, Infrastructure is unreliable. Climate is problematic. Transportation is difficult. The simplest of things like paying your electric bill can be a nightmare that takes all day.

Strongly reconsider. Caribbean can be a viable path for some to physician-hood, but there are almost always better options for most people.
Thanks.

Any insight is good.

I lived on Saba and it is a hard island to live on. Food is essentially twice what you would pay in North America (in contrast an island like St Maarten, for example, would be 50% more than NA but much less than Saba). Saba also does not grow anything fresh, so all meat is frozen and there are only a few vegetables that come in on Wednesdays every week but are gone from the stores by Thursdays.

Moreover, we all know that med schools have a bit of a "cut-throat culture", they are for-profit businesses after all, but Saba is at another level. Some, but not all, expats go down to the Caribbean to specifically run illegal businesses, and some faculty at these schools can't help but make a buck on the side through some of these schemes, for example corrupt housing schemes and other dodgy practices. And because Saba doesn't have a court system on the island, it is impossible to stop or even curtail. There is a heavy amount of extortion going on at SUSOM on Saba whereby the students have to make illegal payments to landlords and if they don't they are kicked out of the program. I can back this up as I was there and this practice is known about by a large number of students. If you are unlucky enough to fall victim to it, all your loans you took out to get you that far will have to be paid back with no degree to show for it, not because you couldn't do the work, but you couldn't make the extortion payments. Bottom line is you aren't in Kansas any more Dorothy. Some of these campuses are cesspools of corruption, and Saba is one of the worst.

Having said that, there is nothing i can say about the rest of the faculty, as the corrupt faculty is permanent but the rest of the teaching faculty turns over every few months. If they aren't part of the game, they don't last long. Which means good faculty do not stay on Saba. As a result, don't let anyone tell you how the teaching is; two months from now it will be completely different teachers in many of the subjects.

Last thing I can say about Saba is that it is a risk. Rumour is that they need ten times the fall student numbers than showed up for the current semester 1 intake if they are to survive. That is, they need 80 students to start in the fall and last I heard they had an enrolment of 8 in the spring. No one can sell a car on Saba because so many hundreds of students have left the island because of what the upper administration is doing, that the population of the island has dropped by 20% as students flee. These are the realities about what is going on on Saba.

That's just my objective observation. I don't know much about AUA.

I'll try to answer your questions one by o

Any insight is good.

I'll try to answer your questions one by one as well regarding SUSOM.

1. The question isn't really about how many have started and how many have finished, it's how many used to be enrolled. A few years ago they had class sizes of 120 and now they have class sizes of 20. Wonderful student-to-teacher ratio, you might say, but those students have not failed out, they have left for a reason. Many have transferred to AUC on St Maarten and many report they are much happier there. A recent class that started with more than 60 had fewer than 20 two semesters later and that's all from leaving. That does have to tell you something. (And this has nothing to do with the hurricanes, because you would never know a hurricane hit that island. It has everything to do with the upper administration on the island - the deans). The students have left because there is no alignment in the teaching. They arbitrarily throw curve balls at the students and you never know what is expected of you. Plus it is corrupt AF!

2. You need to be in class from 8am to 5 pm for most of the time. Some semesters it's less, but that is all class time the whole day with an hour lunch. The powerpoints can be found online and they are also taped, but attendance is compulsory and if you miss more than a few you are kicked out of the school.

3. That's not really a problem except that can be delayed by your RLRA, which is your research paper. You need to finish that first.

4. The research paper is marked in a variable way with no standardization, so it's the luck of the supervisor. Pick an easy one and your paper will be rejected ten times before you are allowed to go on to rotations, causing delays of up to a year.

5. The grocery boat comes on Wednesdays. There is no more fresh produce after Thursday. But there are always canned goods and frozen stuff. Even when "fresh" produce exists, it consists only of apples, tomatoes, sometimes zucchini... it's variable but not much more than that...

Any insight is good.

Had several friends who went to SABA and AUA. DO NOT go to SABA, so many horror stories out of there. School will cut at least 75 people after first year as there are not enough seats in the second year classroom. Other horror stories including profs arrested for dealing drugs and beating their wives, school actively trying to block you from advancing to have you pay tuition longer, their "research project" is just their opportunity to extend your time because they "grade" it for several months while blocking you from advancing to clinicals. Dorms owned by drug dealers on the island, island-wide water shortages.

Nothing like that happening at AUA.

Reactions: 1 users
Had several friends who went to SABA and AUA. DO NOT go to SABA, so many horror stories out of there. School will cut at least 75 people after first year as there are not enough seats in the second year classroom. Other horror stories including profs arrested for dealing drugs and beating their wives, school actively trying to block you from advancing to have you pay tuition longer, their "research project" is just their opportunity to extend your time because they "grade" it for several months while blocking you from advancing to clinicals. Dorms owned by drug dealers on the island, island-wide water shortages.

Everything is true, except the classes are so small now that they could hold them in the prof's office, so many people have fled that island. But they still fail people for arbitrary or stupid reasons, like you didn't notice that there was a spelling mistake in the question. There is are a couple of useless proffs famous for that. They aren't failing people to keep numbers down, they're just incompetent, but they are staying long term so no chance that they will ever leave that place. And yes, there is one major drug dealer that owns a lot of the property rented to students, but worse yet, there is a list of landlords and they run a collective scam which cheats students out of thousands of dollars. I've seen many have to leave because they have ran out of money after being cheated badly. The corruption on that island is completely out of hand, and the university is the centre of it.

Wow thank you all. I'm now in the middle of a huge situations since I pay seat and started my loan process and now got an offer from ROSS too. I set my mind on SABA but of course I was unaware of all this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why can't people stay in the states and try to become an NP if they don't have the stats to get into US med school? It's extremely easy to become an NP. Your student debt will also not be outrageous and you will be able to command 6-figure salary. I know people think being a physician is prestigious, but from my experience a lowly PGY2, that is not the case. Med school is already hard enough so going to an island where most things are not readily available (if what people are saying is true) will make things worse...

Why can't people stay in the states and try to become an NP if they don't have the stats to get into US med school? It's extremely easy to become an NP. Your student debt will also not be outrageous and you will be able to command 6-figure salary. I know people think being a physician is prestigious, but from my experience a lowly PGY2, that is not the case. Med school is already hard enough so going to an island where most things are not readily available (if what people are saying is true) will make things worse...

I can only speak for myself, but I would never have been fulfilled or satisfied being an NP. I do not ascribe to modern theories of nursing practice as the ideal way to treat illnesses. Though the day-to-day work for some specialties may have NP's functioning essentially as MD's, for my own field of psychiatry that is most definitely not the case. I also wanted the breadth of knowledge, experience and confidence in my clinical and leadership skills that a residency brings. I also won't kid myself and claim that there isn't an ego-satisfaction component to it as well.

People go to the Caribbean because they think it will be a shortcut. In reality, it makes everything more arduous and expensive,. and the risk is not trivial. Not all Caribbean schools are created equal though, and weighing out the risk objectively is not easy for a fresh-faced undergraduate trying to navigate a complicated medical education system.

I can only speak for myself, but I would never have been fulfilled or satisfied being an NP. I do not ascribe to modern theories of nursing practice as the ideal way to treat illnesses. Though the day-to-day work for some specialties may have NP's functioning essentially as MD's, for my own field of psychiatry that is most definitely not the case. I also wanted the breadth of knowledge, experience and confidence in my clinical and leadership skills that a residency brings. I also won't kid myself and claim that there isn't an ego-satisfaction component to it as well.

People go to the Caribbean because they think it will be a shortcut. In reality, it makes everything more arduous and expensive,. and the risk is not trivial. Not all Caribbean schools are created equal though, and weighing out the risk objectively is not easy for a fresh-faced undergraduate trying to navigate a complicated medical education system.
I was told psych NP function like physicians in most setting... I actually have a friend who went to school to get a certificate after being a family NP and she is already making 150k/yr and she has not even passed the board yet.

They might not have the knowledge of a psychiatrist but they have the potential to make banks with an online degree while having relatively low student debt.

I was told psych NP function like physicians in most setting... I actually have a friend who went to school to get a certificate after being a family NP and she is already making 150k/yr and she has not even passed the board yet.

They might not have the knowledge of a psychiatrist but they have the potential to make banks with an online degree while having relatively low student debt.

Most Psych NP's have virtually zero experience in psychotherapy training at the outset of their practice and nearly zero experience in anything but the most basic of med management. I suspect that a lot of non-psychiatrist medical professionals think that we just prescribe meds willy-nilly without much thought behind our choices. While it's true that basic med management is a pretty straightforward and easy part of our practice, there are a host of other skills that are critical for being a good psychiatrist. We also tend to have very very treatment-resistant patients that require complicated medication management and therapeutic alliance, which takes a lot of investment and engagement. Psych NP's miss out on nearly all of this by virtue of the fact that they are shoehorned into basic med management almost exclusively, because that is what reimburses well and can be done in a 15 minute med-management visit at an Urgent Care clinic. Good psychiatry requires a much broader array of skills than picking the SSRI with the fewest side effects. If that was not the case, we would be replaced by PCP's with a mental health treatment algorithm in a heartbeat. This is also a big driving factor for why psychiatry is exploding in competitiveness. We are not easily replaced by AI or mid-levels.

Any insight is good.
AVOID SABA!!! My cousin went, he was over 30, had worked as an EMT/Paramedic after undergrad before starting med school. They will find any reason to fail you at SABA just to have you spend more money, and in the end let you go anyways. Google Saba horror stories. I disagree with life on the island, he said it was awesome, the best part and always found nice landlords and great food, etc. I guess he was use to the cost of living in NYC The only housing issue is the safety.....he has a friend still there and last semester one of the student apts exploded nearly killing the student, who is burnt 80% of his body..so sad. Also, if you fail a class, you have to retake only that one class before moving on, and you cannot get any type of financial aid for the class so unless you have over $15K hanging around, you'll be out of luck. I don't know anything about the other schools down there but he's back home owing over $75 in loans for nothing =(

Also, he found out the reason why they fail so many students (some are warranted yes but many fail by less than 1 point) is so they can keep their matching numbers higher than the rest of the schools which attracks more new students, more money, etc......unethical for sure.

Any insight is good.
I went to AUA so i answer your question plus I made a detailed review of the school on here.

1. 270 and about 60 made it first time meaning not failing and about 40-60 repeats( people who failed and had to repeat a semester. this is guesstimate because it is hard to keep up with ppl)
2. 10 student classes are called ICM and they like once a week. it is like cS training. rest of classes are big except anatomy classes. they all lectured capture so technically you dont have to attend them and they are recorded. classes now are 500-600 students. and yes they are 4 hours long but for big classes only that are lecture captured.
3. there are not really any assignments . There are like presentation , or logging what you did in each rotation during clinical years , but it is mostly exams either live exams like you have to listen to harvey ( which is manequin with heart murmurs) and give differentials for heart murmurs, or for anatomy you have to identify parts on cadavers, and there are your regular exams on computer . and in clinical we just take shelfs from NBME.
4. AUA has FIU program which does have research rotation where you get published. but in island there is nothing . SABA might be better on that department
5. AUA 100% has better island life than saba how do i know this ? i visted my best friend at saba numerous times and he visited me at antigua . antigua hands down better according to him and me. we have grocery store, hospital , downtown life, beaches . saba is just rock , with joke of a clinic , and grocery only comes every wednesday.

I am in your shoes myself trying to decide where to apply. I wish to go to SGU or Ross but have no money and did nottake the MCAT. My roommate from Western ended up in AUA and was almost about to commit suicide and ended up with 200000 loan in USD. They do not teach anything, just money grabbing . Most students fail every other semester (a trick that university uses to keep have them pay tuition) and then they dismiss them. My friend works now at Walmart and is depressed on medications. Saba is definitely a better option for me. I am just worried about fast food but hey! I can learn how to cook and rather do that then to go to those schools where I hear horrow stories. Any imput about groceries and dast food at Saba?

I hope you’re trolling.

Wow thank you all. I'm now in the middle of a huge situations since I pay seat and started my loan process and now got an offer from ROSS too. I set my mind on SABA but of course I was unaware of all this.
-------------------Please give a SABA 2020 update, did you end up going there?---------------------------------

AVOID SABA!!! My cousin went, he was over 30, had worked as an EMT/Paramedic after undergrad before starting med school. They will find any reason to fail you at SABA just to have you spend more money, and in the end let you go anyways. Google Saba horror stories. I disagree with life on the island, he said it was awesome, the best part and always found nice landlords and great food, etc. I guess he was use to the cost of living in NYC The only housing issue is the safety.....he has a friend still there and last semester one of the student apts exploded nearly killing the student, who is burnt 80% of his body..so sad. Also, if you fail a class, you have to retake only that one class before moving on, and you cannot get any type of financial aid for the class so unless you have over $15K hanging around, you'll be out of luck. I don't know anything about the other schools down there but he's back home owing over $75 in loans for nothing =(
If fail a class retake the entire semester as of Jan 2021

correction: if fail 1 class retake entire semester. Unless follow withdrawal policy= confusing

Nothing like that happening at AUA.
Absolutely untrue, during my first year a prof was fired for sleeping with students at AUA. it is a corrupt institution that is definitely preventing its students from moving forward to gain more money from poor students.

Absolutely untrue, during my first year a prof was fired for sleeping with students at AUA. it is a corrupt institution that is definitely preventing its students from moving forward to gain more money from poor students.
Really during a pandemic..what abou 6 feet social distance. Do you have proof or are you one of the student slept with AUA prof. Do tell🤔

Really during a pandemic..what abou 6 feet social distance. Do you have proof or are you one of the student slept with AUA prof. Do tell🤔
Hi, thanks for your interest in my personal life but no, as I said this happened in my first semester, I am currently in my 5th, I.e pre COVID. And the school had all the proof they needed to let that professor go!

Any insight is good.
Hey so where did you end up going and how is it like?