1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

AUC worth the risk

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by rsaab1234, Feb 23, 2007.

1. rsaab1234

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    After speaking with an academic advisor, I was informed that 85% of AUC graduates pass their step 1 boards. Does anybody think this is valid? If so, why don't more people save money and go to AUC? The reason I am asking this is because I am seriously considering going there. However, before I do I'd like to get some more advise about the school. Thanks for the help everybody :)

2. SabaMed

2+ Year Member

AUC has always done a good job with the boards. The other real positive in picking AUC is that St. Maarten is a great island to be on as far as entertainment and food supply, in fact if I had a family I would choose AUC. They also have an excellent placement process for clinicals and they have federal student loans.

The only downsides are tuition in what I consider alot compared to some and lots of distractions go with living on such a popular island for tourism.

3. mletter

mletter It's all in the reflexes
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    What is the total tuition for the school? I thought the whole thing was about 100k?

4. SabaMed

2+ Year Member

11K x 10=110K Plus Living expenses and airfare your going to be at 160ish pretty easy

5. ocwaveoc

ocwaveoc Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys
    If I were to goto a Caribbean school, SGU and AUG would be my choices. This is what I've found out so far. SGU willl cost me $250K by the time I graduate (tuition, room/board etc...I'll be financing 100%) while AUG is likely to cost in the 200K level. However, when I looked at their residency list, they were very comparable. So, I'm leaning more towards AUG if it came down to going to a Caribbean school. What is your thought?

6. DRWHY

2+ Year Member

I think, it depends on how much debdt you are willing to live with plus what speciality you would like to persue.
    If you want to end up with as less debdt as possible after going to Caribbean, go to SABA because SABA is at the same level as AUC and ROSS, but on a much safer island plus costs a lot less.
    On the other hand, if you would like to have more chances of specializig go to SGU although you most likely end up with a huge loan.

7. oldpro

oldpro MS IV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If the average debt load of MD grads is over 100k as reported then how much debt load do US grads really carry? MY understanding is around 120k so my 180k when I'm done looks like just a little more over all. ( remember too Homes now range from over 200k to 500k plus in major Urban areas so Med school return is still much greater then this plus satisfaction factor)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...