AUC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I just was accepted to AUC and I wanted some opinions on the school!

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Fun island, ****ty school...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Megalofyia
How bad is it really?

From what I gather is this. It's not a bad school by any means but it has Ross-like lack-standards and a much smaller class size. I believe it's Fall term is like 120, and Winter and Spring are half that size. So when people fall behind because of their lack of prepardness, it hits the percentages harder.

Also the island I'm told is gorgeous and if you don't have a strong constitution, you're going to be screwed.

just to interject a little first-hand data into the discussion : I actually went to AUC ( graduated in 1996 )

the best thing and the worst thing about AUC ( and most non-SGU med schools ) is the easy admission standards.

so if you have a lot of ability and for whatever reason, don't get admitted to a US school, great you can get a second chance and can become a successful practicing doc in America ( like thousands have )

of course, this also means that you might have a fair amount of dipsh*ts in your class who will annoy you and will eventually fail.
This is not unique to AUC

anyway, the bottom line is that me ( and thousands of others ) are licensed and practicing in the USA, and doing very well, which if not for this option, would not be true.
I scored in the top 5th percentile on USMLE step 1 and 2, and my pediatric boards and now on my neonatal sub boards. Most of your achievement in medicine occurs after med school ( as does most of your learning )
an AUC degree basically gets your foot in the door and is an adequate pathway. there are many other carib schools that can do the same.
St Georges is probably a better school, in terms of organization ( education is probably quite similar ) they have tougher admission standards and cost more so are likely to get better applicants in general.

anyway, PM me for specific Q's ( or post them here )

What is the minimum gpa requirement for AUC, would someone recommend the 38 month program with no breaks, and what are the opportunities of joining doctors without borders afterwards?

Originally posted by stwei
What is the minimum gpa requirement for AUC, would someone recommend the 38 month program with no breaks, and what are the opportunities of joining doctors without borders afterwards?

Well, your MD should be internationally recognized I believe. But I think Doctors Without Borders als orequires a number of years of residency as well.