AuD: 1st Year Course Load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audaud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the 1st year course loads like at different AuD programs?

:laugh: Which schools are the most mature (meaning the school is large enough so there is not a lot of student drama/gossip/department "politics", great teachers (not just great scientists)...?

Members don't see this ad.

The course information per year are usually listed on the school's AuD website. It depends whether they go by quarters or semesters. You can get a better picture by looking at those.

Drama? Don't know, would not be concerned because if you're serious about your education, you can professionally ignore the drama, gossip, etc.

Gallaudet - (think some minor changes have been made to this but can't find an updated list)

Year I - Fall semester

HSL 814 Acoustics and Instrumentation (3)
HSL 817 Anatomy and Physiology of Hearing and Balance(3)
HSL 822 Speech and Language Characteristics of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individuals (2)
HSL 834 Diagnostic Audiology I (3)
HSL 840 Introduction to Practicum (1)*
PST ___ Sign Language (2-3)**
HSL 846 Clinical Applications of Sign Communication I (1)

Year I - Spring semester

HSL 784 Research Methodology in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (3)
HSL 835 Diagnostic Audiology II (3)
HSL 840 Introduction to Practicum (1)*
HSL 847 Clinical Applications of Sign Communication II (1)
PST ___ Sign Language (3)**
HSL 850 Amplification I (3)
HSL 815 Psychoacoustics (3)

Year I - Summer session

HSL 818 Acoustic Phonetics (3)
HSL 824 Aural Rehabilitation I (3)

In terms of drama, I think you will find that anywhere you go to some extent. I can't really compare since I don't know what other AuD programs are like. I can tell you that when the ASHA accreditation people visited our program, they told us that the students seemed very supportive of each other, and not as competitive with one another as they have seen at some other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the 1st year course loads like at different AuD programs?

:laugh: Which schools are the most mature (meaning the school is large enough so there is not a lot of student drama/gossip/department "politics", great teachers (not just great scientists)...?

First, I think large programs tend to result in more scientific researchers and more chances for drama than small programs. There are 8 women in my cohort and we're all very supportive of one another and while we all have very different personalities, they gel well together. I think this may have been one of the deciding factors in admissions, actually.

Second, here is my first-year schedule at the University of Iowa.

FALL
3:224 System and Signal Processing (3cr)
3:246 Advanced Audiology (3)
3:145 Developmental Speech and Language Disorders (3)
3:311 Clinical Practice in Audiology (2)
3:510 Intro to Research (1)
3:515 Proseminar (0)
414:198:013 UIHC Compliance Training (0)
3:135 Foundations of Clinical Practice I (1)
(Calculus if have not taken in undergrad.)

Total: ~13 credit hours, plus one half-day of clinic per week.

SPRING
3:256 Physiology of Hearing (3)
3:240 Hearing Aids I (3)
3:219 Fundamentals of Lab Instrumentation (3)
3: 311 Clinical Practice in Audiology (2)
3:515 Proseminar (0)
3:244 Rehabilitative Audiology (3)
3:315 Clinical Rotations Audiology (1-3)
total: 14 sh grad didactic
1-3sh clinic
Total grad: 15

SUMMER
QUALIFYING EXAMINATION 1 (to be taken first week in June)
171:162 Statistics (3)
3:315 Clinical Rotations in Audiology (2)
Total: 3 sh grad didactic
2 sh clinic
Total grad:5

We had A&P, Instrumentation, Basic Diagnostics, Acoustics/Pyscho-Acoustics, Clinical Lab I, and on-campus practicum one day per week, though things have changed quite a bit in the past few years curriculum wise. By biggest obstacles by far came in time management, as the demands outside of the classroom were heavy (neurotology, grand rounds, school screenings, assistantship, etc.). I would strongly recommend getting the ball rolling on your research project by your second year, 1st year if possible. 3rd year is pretty rough and 3-4 hours per week of research work does not help matters. 'Drama' in your class will largely depend on how competitive your program is IMO. If it is not as selective, you are more likely to have classmates that are not as focused academically and may be more concerned with social matters. It's easy to ignore, but you are around them quite a bit. As a male, it can be particularly aggravating at times and affect morale if you let it.

As a male, it can be particularly aggravating at times and affect morale if you let it.

are you saying that only females engage in drama? :p

i experienced some drama during my first semester in the program where one of my classmates badmouthed me on her blog. she described a clinical encounter we were both involved in, and she criticized my interactions with the patient and our supervisor's behavior. her blog entry was displayed on another blog that a lot of people on campus read. it came to the attention of the department and they made her remove it because 1-it was totally unprofessional, and 2-it was a potential HIPAA violation.

this person dropped out of the program after the first semester because she realized she was at odds with the profession in general. she became really wrapped up with the idea of Deaf Culture and anti-Audism, in that kind of hardline way that people do when they're not actually a member of the minority group for which they're advocating.

since then i have not been involved in any major drama. :)

are you saying that only females engage in drama? :p

i experienced some drama during my first semester in the program where one of my classmates badmouthed me on her blog. she described a clinical encounter we were both involved in, and she criticized my interactions with the patient and our supervisor's behavior. her blog entry was displayed on another blog that a lot of people on campus read. it came to the attention of the department and they made her remove it because 1-it was totally unprofessional, and 2-it was a potential HIPAA violation.

this person dropped out of the program after the first semester because she realized she was at odds with the profession in general. she became really wrapped up with the idea of Deaf Culture and anti-Audism, in that kind of hardline way that people do when they're not actually a member of the minority group for which they're advocating.

since then i have not been involved in any major drama. :)

:thumbup: Like!

Looks like we had a pretty light first semester compared to many of you guys! It's kind of nice actually, they start us off slow so we can adjust, and then gradually pile on the work as the semesters go on. To be honest, I was kind of bored this semester with only 3 classes, though I appreciate it now during finals at least.

Here's what ours looks like:

Fall 1
5337 Clinical Practicum in Hearing (1)
5355 Psychoacoustics (3)
5356 Audiological Assessment (3)
5375 Auditory System Anatomy and Physiology (3)

Spring 1
5321 Otologic Basis of Hearing Loss (3)
5337 Clinical Practicum in Hearing (1)
5351 Amplification for Residual Hearing (3)
5362 Advanced Speech Science II: Speech Perception (3)
5373 Pediatric Audiology (3)

Summer 1
Clinical Practicum (1)
Research Practicum (1)

Fall (13hrs)
Anatomy and Physiology I (3)
Hearing Science (3)
Audiological Concepts w/lab (4)
Professional Writing (2)
Clinical Experience in Audiology (1)
Lecture series (0)

Spring (12hrs)
Manual English (1)
Anatomy and Physiology II (3)
Diagnostic/Medical Audiology (3)
Hearing Aids I (3)
Clinical Experience in Audiology (2)

Summer (9hrs)
Pediatrics (3)
Aural Rehab I (3)
Clinical Experience in Audiology (3)

I also had Acoustic Phonetics (3) my first summer but it has since been moved to Fall of second year.

I'm finishing up my first semester at the CUNY Graduate Center :) I think they took it easy on us for the first semester, we only had Anatomy & Physiology; Acoustics & Psychoacoustics; Research Methods; and Speech Science. Total= 14 credits.

Next semester looks a little harder-
Instrumentation in Audiology
Diagnostic Audiology
Physiological Acoustics
Acoustic Immittance and Otoacoustic Emissions
Introductory Audiology Practicum
Essentials of Biostatistics in Audiology
Total= 16 credits

Not sure what they have in store for us for summer...