AuD Options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClassicalAUD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I am a senior pre-audiology student at UNCG, and I am currently looking at graduate school options. I have narrowed down my list to six so far:

East Carolina
James Madison
Vanderbilt
University of Tennessee
UT Austin
UT Dallas

If anyone can give me some recommendations on which schools offer what, or any other non listed schools that would be amazing!

UPDATE:

I really see myself working with musicians, or using acoustical engineering in practicing audiology. Any recommendations for that?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UT Dallas is on my long list. I’ve heard a combo of pros and cons. Personally, I like the area. Richardson isn’t bad, it’s close to Dallas which has nice shopping and restaurants, the cost of living is decent as well. The schools (I have children) are nice as well as housing.

What about Wash U, or UNC (chapel hill)? I’ve honestly heard and read amazing things about both. They’re both on my short list.

Wash U is a bit out of my geographic range, and UNC doesn't really speak to me as a grad school option. Thank you for your input about UT Dallas! Good luck on your choices as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I am currently at Vanderbilt, and I had also gotten into UTK, UT-Austin, and UT-Dallas. The biggest factor in my decision was funding- I got more funding from Vanderbilt than anywhere else. UTK and UT-Austin put me in a difficult spot, because they don't let you apply for funding until after you have committed, and that was just too much for me to attend somewhere without knowing exactly what I would be paying.

We certainly have plenty of musicians to work with in Nashville! As far as looking at offerings of different schools, is there something you're interested in particular for clinic? Usually the websites are good at detailing the opportunities available.

UNT in Denton's musical department is one of the best in the nation so you would have a lot of opportunity to discuss research opportunities with some of their professors. UTD is one of the top schools/research institutions according to rankings (take that with a grain of salt) but it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to go a researching or clinical route? I went to UTD and really enjoyed it, but had some preceptors that preferred UNT student's because they were more clinically prepared (not saying that UTD student's weren't prepared). UTD teaches the theories behind evidence based practice, and UNT tends to teach more towards practical skills in my opinion.

Hi! I am currently at Vanderbilt, and I had also gotten into UTK, UT-Austin, and UT-Dallas. The biggest factor in my decision was funding- I got more funding from Vanderbilt than anywhere else. UTK and UT-Austin put me in a difficult spot, because they don't let you apply for funding until after you have committed, and that was just too much for me to attend somewhere without knowing exactly what I would be paying.

We certainly have plenty of musicians to work with in Nashville! As far as looking at offerings of different schools, is there something you're interested in particular for clinic? Usually the websites are good at detailing the opportunities available.

I'm not really sure about clinical stuff at this point. Maybe focusing on APDs or pediatrics. Just very unsure about what I want to focus on in grad school. Also, what school is UTK?

UNT in Denton's musical department is one of the best in the nation so you would have a lot of opportunity to discuss research opportunities with some of their professors. UTD is one of the top schools/research institutions according to rankings (take that with a grain of salt) but it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to go a researching or clinical route? I went to UTD and really enjoyed it, but had some preceptors that preferred UNT student's because they were more clinically prepared (not saying that UTD student's weren't prepared). UTD teaches the theories behind evidence based practice, and UNT tends to teach more towards practical skills in my opinion.

Thank you for your input! I'm thinking more the clinical route for right now, but research might be in there somewhere. Just trying to figure out stuff at this point. Also what school is UNT?

I'm not really sure about clinical stuff at this point. Maybe focusing on APDs or pediatrics. Just very unsure about what I want to focus on in grad school. Also, what school is UTK?
That's totally okay! We definitely have lots of opportunities for APD and peds. UTK is University of Tennessee-Knoxville! That's their main campus. Sorry for the confusion- they've got other branches too (Chattanooga, Memphis, Martin). If you are at all interested in research, Vanderbilt and your two Texas schools seem to have a bigger emphasis on it than the others on your list.

I am a huge proponent of going to the school where you will have to pay the least amount of money to attend. The job market is not terribly saturated or competitive for audiologists, so there's no big need to shell out that money for a "higher ranked" school if that rank is your only reason. If there are specific professors you want to learn from, labs you want to work in, clinics you want to have experience in, then that is a different story and more worthy of swaying your decision.

A few of my favorite things about going to Vanderbilt:
1) Wow I am always so amazed by the professors and clinicians I learn from. All of these people have experienced so much, are incredibly prominent in the field, have expertise in just about anything you could be interested in when it comes to audiology, and have so many connections and resources to share with students.
2) The standard of care in clinic is incredible. Of course we know that audiology has a lot to their name, but the medical center as a whole is truly one of the best. It's nice to learn how to be a clinician among people who are providing some of the best care.
3) This is more important since I don't have a car, but even for students who do have cars- you can experience almost everything clinically within a 15 minute walk, between the Medical Center and VA Hospital. Peds, adults, diagnostics, CIs, newborn screenings, vestib, APD, intraoperative monitoring, hearing aids, you name it. Of course, there are some outside/branch clinics available, but even students who can travel appreciate the convenience of not having a commute (Nashville traffic ain't pretty!)

Wash U is a bit out of my geographic range, and UNC doesn't really speak to me as a grad school option. Thank you for your input about UT Dallas! Good luck on your choices as well!

Thank you :) I still have two years before I apply but before I know it, I know that time will fly by!

Can I ask why UNC doesn’t speak to you as a grad school? And, East Carolina does? I’m just curious.

I can understand that. Honestly? I’d apply to all of the places that you desire, and then see what funding you are offered. The most funding, or resident tuition, or lowest tuition with still being a great school, is the one I’d choose. Best of luck to you.