AuD/PhD (dual) vs PhD (only)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheerfulsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering about advantages and disadvantages of PhD only because I am interested in transferring from AuD to PhD.
Please share your thoughts on this subject.
Have a good day!

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering about advantages and disadvantages of PhD only because I am interested in transferring from AuD to PhD.
Please share your thoughts on this subject.
Have a good day!

Granted our field is hurting for PhD's, but most schools want a clinically based education. How can a PhD teach AuD students about clinical skills in courses and link the information to clinical situations if the PhD doesn't have any clinical experience.

The best professors I had were clinical audiologists before they got their PhD. You could tell those who still worked occasionally in the clinical setting compared to those who left the clinical field a decade before they started teaching.

Most universities right now are taking PhD's only for teaching positions, but I think you'd be more marketable, better qualified to provide education to AuD students, and have more opportunities if you did both.

There is a trend in the field that more and more job offerings for Ph.D.s are requiring that you also have you ASHA certification. In the new reality of economic problems (Universities are losing funding as well), many programs are looking for people with both an ability to produce research (Ph.D.) and an ability to work in the clinic and supervise students (Au.D.). If at all possible it would be the best move long-term for to make sure that you have both. It will allow you more freedom in the job market and will make you more attractive as a candidate. Obviously it has to work for you as well, but I think it is a very smart move to be as versatile as possible.

UMass Amherst has a clinical PhD program and Montclair State has a clinical ScD program. These may be interesting options for those who want both clinical and research experience without obtaining a separate AuD.