AuD vs. PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcrusc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a trend that some newly minted AuD's sometimes go directly into a PhD program for hearing science. If we aren't under the assumption that they simply couldn't get into a PhD program initially, what are the benefits of attaining both degrees? PhD's tend towards research and AuD's clinical, sure. Is this the only real difference? Does possessing both degrees increase marketability?

Members don't see this ad.

The AuD/PhD would not be very different from the PhD audiologist. The 4-year AuD plus 1 to 2 year PhD portion is fairly equivalent to the previous 2 year masters plus 3 year PhD. The main difference is that it will look more impressive in print but, in reality, will be no different then the standard PhD. For someone interested in becoming both a licensed audiologist and researcher, the combined AuD/PhD combination will become the standard. For those simply interested in basic research (i.e, animal research or speech science), the PhD is a better choice so as not to waste time with clinic. It is too early to say how the AuD/PhD will affect marketability. I was an AuD student who switched into my department's PhD program. I am getting my clinical certification/licensure and the total time in grad school will be a little over five years with all AuD requirements completed while doing PhD. At the end I will only receive a PhD and that is fine with me. If I talked to the right people and jumped through some hoops I think it would be possible to get the AuD/PhD in lieu of just the PhD. However, I will not waste my time doing this since I see very little benefit of doing this. I will have my PhD so I can work as a professor/researcher. I will also haves my CCCs and state licensure so I can work as a clinical audiologist. For a moment think about clinical psychology. The two doctoral degrees in this field are the traditional PhD and the newer PsyD. The PhD clinical psychologist is a trained researcher and may work as a professor or own a private practice. PsyD is not research trained, would have a hard time finding a tenure-rack university position, but can (and should) work clinically. You don't ever see a PsyD/PhD. That would be rather silly. My view is that our field should attempt to emulate psychology rather than medicine. It is a much more appropriate comparison in terms of training, salary, and prestige. That's just my two cents.

Sure AuD and PhD look great together, but unless you are planning on working for a university hospital that does a lot of hearing science research such as a large state school, or you plan on working for mayo clinic or a large hearing aid company, you are pretty much just spending time and money to go into the hole in debt.

By the time most of us are out in the field practicing for 5-10 years PhD's will be difficult to find in hearing science and many AuD holders will be able to teach with their AuD's.

This is my plan because I love to teach and didn't see the point of a dissertation and 2-3 more years of schooling on top of my AuD program. Besides at Ohio U we have to do a research project that takes up our entire 3rd year anyways, so why would I do more?

I'm afraid AuDs may not be able to teach with any greater likelihood with a PhD shortage. That is, if tenure is the goal for AuDs it may not be achieved due to university restrictions. Many universities restrict tenure-track positions to PhDs, EdDs, and ScDs. Medical schools will of course grant tenure for MDs with research experience; however, an AuD having completed a capstone project is hardly comparable. Teaching as an adjunct and at some schools that have alternate policies (e.g., Nova) are always options.

Sure AuD and PhD look great together, but unless you are planning on working for a university hospital that does a lot of hearing science research such as a large state school, or you plan on working for mayo clinic or a large hearing aid company, you are pretty much just spending time and money to go into the hole in debt.

By the time most of us are out in the field practicing for 5-10 years PhD's will be difficult to find in hearing science and many AuD holders will be able to teach with their AuD's.

This is my plan because I love to teach and didn't see the point of a dissertation and 2-3 more years of schooling on top of my AuD program. Besides at Ohio U we have to do a research project that takes up our entire 3rd year anyways, so why would I do more?