Audio textbooks

Started by FrkyBgStok
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FrkyBgStok

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am starting DMU in the fall and am pretty excited. That being said, I am very audio oriented learner. Maybe it is the years of listen to audiobooks while I drive, but my best learning is heavily audio based. Has anyone ever used any audiobooks for med school or even heard of any? Not like iTunesU or anything, like a straight verbatim audio textbook that is adequate for med school.
 
I don't see this as being helpful. You may be overestimating how much textbooks get used other than as a quick reference. Audio also is the slowest way to move information, even if you double or triple the speed. If you're audio-oriented just go to class, record that if you feel so inclined, keep the recordings organized and refer back to them as you study. You should also be prepared for your classes to be very specific in their sources and may require you to remember specifics from class and the particular textbook the prof assigned. Chances are it's not audio, and not all textbooks agree on everything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't see this as being helpful. You may be overestimating how much textbooks get used other than as a quick reference. Audio also is the slowest way to move information, even if you double or triple the speed. If you're audio-oriented just go to class, record that if you feel so inclined, keep the recordings organized and refer back to them as you study. You should also be prepared for your classes to be very specific in their sources and may require you to remember specifics from class and the particular textbook the prof assigned. Chances are it's not audio, and not all textbooks agree on everything.

This. Most of the audio learners I know go to lecture and listen to them again at least once more (my school does audio for the lectures).

As a visual guy I generally listen once so I can put stars next to stuff the lecturer mentions more than once (hint: it'll be on the test).