• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

JDWflash44

Workin it...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
http://www.usmle.org/general_information/announcements.html

FYI:

Step 1 to Include Media Clips Starting in May 2008
A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 1 Examination beginning in May 2008.

Posted April 14, 2008

A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 1 Examination beginning in mid- to late May 2008. No more than 5 items with associated media clips will appear in a single examination. The 2008 USMLE Orientation Materials include a small number of multiple-choice items that contain exhibits involving audio and/or video clips. Instructions for practicing with items with associated media clips on Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 are provided in the Tutorials for each Step examination in the orientation materials.

Items with associated media were introduced into Step 2 CK in 2007, and into Step 3 in March of 2008. As of May 2008 all three multiple-choice question components of the USMLE examination will include items with associated audio and/or video.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
good thing i am taking my exam tomorrow...

But then again i bet since they're just starting with these audio/video clips they'll be really easy questions. Also when i did the practice block with the audio/video q's there was more than double the time from regular q's.. i wonder if they'll extend the time on blocks that included video/audio clips.

Jonathan13180

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2004
Status (Visible)
http://www.usmle.org/general_information/announcements.html

FYI:

Step 1 to Include Media Clips Starting in May 2008
A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 1 Examination beginning in May 2008.

Posted April 14, 2008

A small number of multiple-choice items with associated audio and/or video clips will be introduced into the USMLE Step 1 Examination beginning in mid- to late May 2008. No more than 5 items with associated media clips will appear in a single examination. The 2008 USMLE Orientation Materials include a small number of multiple-choice items that contain exhibits involving audio and/or video clips. Instructions for practicing with items with associated media clips on Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 3 are provided in the Tutorials for each Step examination in the orientation materials.

Items with associated media were introduced into Step 2 CK in 2007, and into Step 3 in March of 2008. As of May 2008 all three multiple-choice question components of the USMLE examination will include items with associated audio and/or video.

No surprise...The comlex is starting something very similar...video clips with patients where a list of physical symptoms will be given and using the mouse, we need to point to where in the body the lesion/problem is occurring. Right now its experimental, obviously, but its coming...

Blesbok

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
"Ooooh yeah....OHHHHH BAAAABY... GGIIIIVE IT TO ME...THERE IS DEFINITELY NO WORKING OUT GOING ON IN HERE...ooooooooh gooooooood"

Sex or working out?

About the Ads

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I dunno if it's true, but I've heard that the question writers have to submit a source for where they get their questions ie. a certain textbook, etc. I wonder what sources these multimedia clips could come from? How do you go about prepping for this, or can you?

Arsenic

posting from the future
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2004
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
they phased in the AV questions into step 2 CK last year. heart sounds were on my exam as part of a clinical vignette so its definitely something the USMLE is using or considers fair game for step exams.

About the Ads

gouda

10+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My predictions: heart sounds, testing of some CN gone bad (ie - MS and the MLF syndrome), and a general respiratory concept

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
good thing i am taking my exam tomorrow...

But then again i bet since they're just starting with these audio/video clips they'll be really easy questions. Also when i did the practice block with the audio/video q's there was more than double the time from regular q's.. i wonder if they'll extend the time on blocks that included video/audio clips.

Which practice block was that?

hasha100

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I did the tutorial online and one of the videos was a pt with Parkinson's (they show the pill rolling tremor) and the other was an interactive section where u placed the stethoscope on the chest and listened to the heart sound (APT M 2245). For the heart sound, I'm not very good at those, but it sounded like a blowing murmur so I think it was mitral regurgitation, but let me know what you guys think it was.

Anaphylactic

10+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Anybody knows of a good resource to learn heart sounds? Even Robbins does not discuss heart sounds very much. By the way, I have no intention of becoming a cardiologist.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Anybody knows of a good resource to learn heart sounds? Even Robbins does not discuss heart sounds very much. By the way, I have no intention of becoming a cardiologist.

I just looked at the multimedia part of the tutorial, and noticed that the heart sounds demo looks an awful lot like some of the stuff at http://www.blaufuss.org/

Couple other questions if anyone cares to answer them:

Just curious how much time (if any) people are planning to spend preparing for these questions and if so, what resources you plan to use.

Any advice from Step II vets about approaching these questions? Any "high-yield" findings? Do they usually set up the question with a history?

Hopefully someone who's testing next week will let us know a little bit about what to expect with these questions.

agranulocytosis

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I just looked at the multimedia part of the tutorial, and noticed that the heart sounds demo looks an awful lot like some of the stuff at http://www.blaufuss.org/

Couple other questions if anyone cares to answer them:

Just curious how much time (if any) people are planning to spend preparing for these questions and if so, what resources you plan to use.

Any advice from Step II vets about approaching these questions? Any "high-yield" findings? Do they usually set up the question with a history?

Hopefully someone who's testing next week will let us know a little bit about what to expect with these questions.

I'm not going to prepare any differently, however I'm just going to sample them on the USMLE website so I have an idea as to how the questions can be asked. I'm usually pretty good at Jeopardy and their multimedia-type answers so I doubt it's going to be any different, except for the responses starting out with "What is...?"

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm scared of these A/V questions!

+1; Luckily there won't be too many. Listening to the heart sounds reminds me of looking at an EKG during PBL; everyone is sure they see some different significant pathology - RBBB, ST elevation, etc. and then the report comes...normal sinus. Looking at those answer choices while listening to the heart sounds I can hear a lot of things...

Helo

10+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2007
Status (Visible)
yeaaa, don't know what to expect from these clips but the parkinson dude wasnt soo bad. since i mix up a bunch of the neuro diseases, i went to youtube and looked up a bunch of clips of parkinsons, huntingtons, etc and i think it actually helped me learn the material better. ehhh, prolly just me tho. who knows, maybe people will eventually start incorporating youtube into their study plan just like they use wikipedia (ahem, *eventually*)

Cashew

Nutjob
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
+1; Luckily there won't be too many. Listening to the heart sounds reminds me of looking at an EKG during PBL; everyone is sure they see some different significant pathology - RBBB, ST elevation, etc. and then the report comes...normal sinus. Looking at those answer choices while listening to the heart sounds I can hear a lot of things...

same. I just tried out the tutor on that http://www.blaufuss.org/ and thought half of what I was hearing was something other than what they said it was.

Please please please make these mostly experimental. It sure would stink if my friends who took the exam a week before me and had none of these did that much better than I did just b/c I missed all these!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.