Audiology & the Ivy Leagues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm tired of arguing this issue, so here's my final post related to the central argument:
There are good eggs and bad eggs in every basket. The difference is that the standards of practice and ethics to which ASHA requires certified audiologists to adhere leads to more good audiologists than bad and a method for 'taking care of' those bad audiologists and making sure they don't gouge/hurt/etc. any more people.

Oh, and I can't leave without saying that if your uncle has been dealing with audiologists his whole life, he should know better than to describe his hearing loss in percentages. And if that's just your description of his loss, wise-up quickly or you'll be one of those audiologists who operates more like a HIS than a real audiologist.

Like :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, and I can't leave without saying that if your uncle has been dealing with audiologists his whole life, he should know better than to describe his hearing loss in percentages. And if that's just your description of his loss, wise-up quickly or you'll be one of those audiologists who operates more like a HIS than a real audiologist.

:thumbup:

Oh, give me a break with this completely pretentious BS.

I'm finishing up my BS in Comm Disorders and have had all but ONE Audiology class (which I received an A in).

This is how his wife described his hearing loss. Since when do patients have to feel compelled to keep in line with your clinically correct notion of describing hearing loss? Only a grad student or audiologist would "know better" and adhere to the clinically correct way of describing hearing loss.

Or maybe I'm lying about my uncle. Or maybe, as a career director of state mental hospitals his entire life, and an author of several textbooks, he's an idiot and can't grasp the idea of not describing his hearing loss in percentages. OR, just possibly, maybe your being pretentious and unrealistic in expecting everyone who isn't an audiologist to know how or even care enough to describe their hearing loss correctly to other non-audiologists...

But if it makes you feel superior to put down an undergrad student, and admonish an anonymous patient for not describing his hearing loss in a clinically correct way, then congratulations and I hope doing so served its purpose for your ego.

I'll do my best to "wise-up-quickly". lol. GMAFB.

Hopefully, most of the audiology knowledge that I need will be magically imparted to me before I hit grad school.

I respect the intelligence of everyone here, but I hate wrongly placed and illogical posturing more than almost anything else in the world. Emotionally driven hostility, over something so petty and irrational, isn't nice and makes no sense. The atmosphere and application of logic and science being a primary reason that I am drawn to audiology. Hopefully, we can extend that same logic to our social interactions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm finishing up my BS in Comm Disorders and have had all but ONE Audiology class (which I received an A in).

This is how his wife described his hearing loss. Since when do patients have to feel compelled to keep in line with your clinically correct notion of describing hearing loss? Only a grad student or audiologist would "know better" and adhere to the clinically correct way of describing hearing loss.

Wrong. I'm an undergraduate student, and I was taught in my first class that the percentage method is wildly inaccurate and that describing hearing loss that way to a patient is a faux pas. Additionally, if audiology really is that interesting to you, maybe do some extracurricular learning?

You're wrong about where the comment came from, too. The only emotion I felt was disdain for the way an outsider both claims ignorance and offers an opinion on a complicated issue.

"I've only had one class, so you can't fault me for not knowing anything about this, but you're all wrong," doesn't fly with me.

Wrong. I'm an undergraduate student, and I was taught in my first class that the percentage method is wildly inaccurate and that describing hearing loss that way to a patient is a faux pas. Additionally, if audiology really is that interesting to you, maybe do some extracurricular learning?
Your profile doesn't indicate that your an undergrad student. Mine does.

Good for you for what your class taught you. I'm sure that if we compared classes there would be other differences too, some in my favor and some in yours. You don't know what you aren't taught.

Extracurricular reading, huh? hmmm.... maybe I'll get on that after my full schedule of classes ends. How about you? Were you doing any extracurricular reading of Audiology texts with a full load of classes as an undergrad? If you say yes, then your lying. This is just a weak cheap shot and makes me lose a little more respect for you. Where have all of the honest debaters gone?

You're wrong about where the comment came from, too. The only emotion I felt was disdain for the way an outsider both claims ignorance and offers an opinion on a complicated issue.
ah...okay, so your an 'undergrad' in the same type of degree program that I am, but I'm an 'outsider' now and you are not. That sure sounds like emotional and irrational reasoning to me. Your claims and emotional reasoning are conflicting, and your logic suffers for it.

"I've only had one class, so you can't fault me for not knowing anything about this, but you're all wrong," doesn't fly with me.
Who said that I didn't know anything? That's hyperbole. I have had ONE Audiology class. No more and no less.

Second, wrong about what?

About disagreeing about the legitimacy of you making a big deal out of a clinically correct way to describe hearing loss, to the end of personalizing the discussion because I said something that you didn't like? ha...okay. Im sorry for disagreeing with the unnecessary, irrelevant and off topic personal attack. Your right, I'm the bad debater and the irrational one.

Sorry, you're the incorrect one, both in debate decorum and your perspective on the need for a patient to describe his hearing loss in a clinically correct manner, and my 'mistake' in conveying that information in an anecdote. I was just repeating what was said. I have no way to get any other information, other than what was conveyed to me. Information that still conveyed the information necessary for the anecdote. The other option was not to tell the anecdote, because the information given to me wasn't framed in the clinically correct way. Would that option have made sense?

You can now see how your attack was insanely petty, unnecessarily personal, and a poorly thought out.

Also, do you think I care what 'flies' with you when I'm responding to an off topic attack? That's some crazy ego to think that I care about meeting your approval after you got aggressive.

Lets move on cordially. If I can forgive that initial attack, then you can move on as well. After all, Ive just been defending this non-issue and the attack on me this entire time.

What BS. Damn, you people get so upset when someone questions your perspective of HIS's being the bad guys and Audiologists being white knights. What utter delusion. The world isn't that black and white.

Last edited:
Going overboard here. Let it go!

Last edited:
Extracurricular reading, huh? hmmm.... maybe I'll get on that after my full schedule of classes ends. How about you? Were you doing any extracurricular reading of Audiology texts with a full load of classes as an undergrad? If you say yes, then your lying. This is just a weak cheap shot and makes me lose a little more respect for you. Where have all of the honest debaters gone?

Actually, yes, I read research articles on a regular basis and I occasionally leaf through a text I purchased last semester. I care about and am fascinated with audiology, so I make time... even during a 23-credit semester.

woah this thread is getting out of hand.

i think we can all agree that dispensers do not need to be demonized. there are good ones and bad ones just like in any field.

if they don't provide the same level of care in general as audiologists it's probably because of the difference in education. that's not exactly a personal failure on their part. it's up to consumers and professionals (that means us) to lobby for a change to the system if necessary. AAA may be active in this area-i'm not sure.

also i have seen a lot of patients who've reported their hearing loss to me in terms of percentages, and i know they didn't all see dispensers prior to me.