amyl

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2006
between scylla and charybdis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Just curious how many of you matched at a place where you did an audition rotation? I know one place I want to go for sure but am trying to decide between a few other places... just wondering how often people ended up at a place they rotated as a third or fourth year?

Duckie24

Totally Quackers!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
I will definitely not be matching at a program where I did an away rotation.

Celsus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
I am curious about this too. The conventional wisdom is that doing an away rotation is supposed to help your chances. Is this not what other people are finding?

About the Ads

TayShaun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
An away rotation lets a program get to know you much better, and vice versa. As you probably already know, it's sometimes hard to shine during the med student rotation. Since you aren't given many responsibilities it can be hard to demonstrate how good you are, and a program might think you're mediocre. But if you make a concerted effort to get to know some faculty, you'll probably succeed.

In any case, if you're going to do an away rotation at a place you really like, then try to first complete an anesthesia rotation somewhere else to build your knowledge base and confidence.

Another important consideration is that you'll see all of a program's moles and blemishes if you do a rotation there. I met a lot of applicants on the interview trail who no longer liked program X or program Y after doing an away elective and planned to rank those programs pretty low.

Duckie24

Totally Quackers!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
I met a lot of applicants on the interview trail who no longer liked program X or program Y after doing an away elective and planned to rank those programs pretty low.

Exactly.

DireWolf

The Pride of Cucamonga
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2003
Timbers of Fennario
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I probably would not have received some of the interviews I had without my audition rotations (i.e. interviews at programs I did not rotate at). And I am convinced that rotating at my #1 was crucial in my successful match there.

StealYourFace

15+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Have to agree with Duckie and TayShaun. The big thing I took away from my one "audition" rotation this year was that I didn't like the program, and wouldn't want to train there. I consider it time well spent though, as I'm sure I would have otherwise ranked the program highly.

Also :thumbup: on the screen name DireWolf!

Duckie24

Totally Quackers!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
The big thing I took away from my one "audition" rotation this year was that I didn't like the program, and wouldn't want to train there. I consider it time well spent though, as I'm sure I would have otherwise ranked the program highly.
That was my feeling at one program at which I did a rotation. Another just seemed disorganized for some reason. I thought they were doing some good training and had good caseload, but something just didn't seem right. A friend of mine rotated at the same place and really enjoyed it, so go figure.

Agree with SYF, good or bad, well worthwhile. Saved me some interview trips and spots on my rank list.

anestheticman

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
I asked this before and I'm thinking there isn't really an answer but are there specific programs where doing an away is known to not help you in any way because a) the faculty don't really notice you or b) its just part of the PD's way of doing things, etc. or c) whatever other reason.

I had heard this about UCSF but the rumors were cleared up by the resident who created the thread about UCSF.... anyway, still curious about other programs.

I know it depends on the individual person and how they perform and how much effort they put in (without being annoying of course) but I'm still torn about where to do my "long shot please give me a chance" away rotation.

GeauxTigers22

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It can definitely change your opinion on a program. The program I thought would be my number one is now my number 5 on my rank list after rotating there. Also, a program I thought would be like number 10 is now my number 2. You can find out a lot about a program in a month.

me454555

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 29, 2003
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'm an osteopathic student and most of the hospitals I rotated at were no name, podunk hospitals w/out an anesthesia residency. I decided to do all my anesthesia roations away during my 4th year. I think this was a very good plan as I really got to see different residencies in person. It gave me a sense of the differences between the residencies and what I liked and didn't like about each. When it came time for interviews, most places were impressed at some of the LORs I got on my aways. I doubt getting LORs from my home hospitals would have carried quite as much weight. If I had it to do over again, I'd do it the same way. While I might not have been able to shine on all these rotations it definatly helped me when it came time for interviews

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.