Auditions in April to June?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOdoc92742

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! Am currently a few rotations into 3rd year and am "off cycle". The plan is to complete third year by November and then take Spring 2021 as a leave of absence to take Level 2 boards. Is it possible for me to do audition rotations during the spring (April - July), take electives and have a baby August -September, then take a lighter schedule for interview season. I was told if I do auditions before July, then the programs won't consider me because I won't be auditioning "in season" and they'll forget about me by the time Match comes around. Is this true?

If anybody else was off cycle, what did you do? How did you organize your auditions? I want to take a lighter schedule during Fall 2021 (August-Sept) so I can have a baby and not be showing for interviews. That leaves December and January to do more auditions also.

Goal is to apply Family Medicine mostly community programs. Help me plan this out please. What advice do you have for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi DOdoc92742,

I think it's a great idea to do auditions earlier. That is the beauty of being off cycle! Personally, I think the best time to do auditions is anywhere from June to the end of August. The reason for this is that this gives you ample time to get a comfortable number of strong letters of recommendations (LORs) and from attendings at the programs you are interested in. Programs love to see LORs from their own attendings. Just be advised that the new intern class starts in July so it can get a little hectic. Med students often get forgotten about during that month (you'll understand exactly why when you start!). But you can try to avoid this by signing up for a rotation that is less intern heavy with more second and third years (I.e ICUs, EDs). If you're not sure, check the program's website for schedules by class. I disagree with the statement that programs will forget about you if you audition off season. That just isn't true. Remember, programs are interviewing and ranking tons of medical students who have not rotated at their hospital. Auditions can get your foot in the door, but they are not necessary to match. Auditions are useful for you because it helps you get more LORs and gives YOU a sense of what the program is like in order to determine if it's a good fit for you. Additionally, you can take advantage and meet with the program director while you are there to express your interests in the program!
I would absolutely recommend getting all of these auditions and tougher electives out of the way early on and keep your schedule as laid back as possible during interviews. Especially if you are expecting a baby! I would try to have the baby before interviews (August/September would be ideal) because of the traveling restrictions in the 3rd trimester. Additionally, you can always schedule your interviews in later months (i.e December or January) if the baby comes a little later than expected. Whether you interview in October or January has completely no bearing on your chances of matching into a program.

Hope this helps!

Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Annette, thanks! Very helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
I did an audition in June and personally felt it was too early. For one I was working with chief residents that would be gone in a week. The third years wouldn't be there when I started residency and the new interns hadn't started yet. One or two attendings said things like "is it already that time of year" and "I feel like they start earlier every year." I ended up hating the program and cancelled my interview so maybe that is coloring my advice here.
The pros were that I was the only auditioner my month (other months all had 4-6) and got lots of one on one time as well as flexibility in my schedule.

Reactions: 1 users
As another off-cycle student, I was planning to do auditions June and July of this year but covid had other plans. I honestly would not take a long leave of absence to study for step two and would save that to take after you have your baby. Studying for step 2 is nothing like step one and can easily be done on rotation and within a few weeks of dedicated. Nov-April is WAY overkill for step 2 studying and you will likely be bored. Having that time with your newborn will be so much more valuable and honestly time you will never get back. I plan on graduating late in 2020 and then hopefully having a baby in the spring before residency. If you are going for FM then most likely "showing" during interview season shouldn't be a huge deal. Honestly if you go interview at a program that would think less of you for having a kid, is that really a residency you want to go to with a family?

I did an audition in June and personally felt it was too early. For one I was working with chief residents that would be gone in a week. The third years wouldn't be there when I started residency and the new interns hadn't started yet. One or two attendings said things like "is it already that time of year" and "I feel like they start earlier every year." I ended up hating the program and cancelled my interview so maybe that is coloring my advice here.
The pros were that I was the only auditioner my month (other months all had 4-6) and got lots of one on one time as well as flexibility in my schedule.

Im assuming I'll get weird looks for auditioning early but If I can have a healthy baby before intern year and spend time with it, then I dont mind dealing with weird looks.
Another student told me if I audition earlier in April-June, the residents are more experienced and can help teach more, especially because I'll probably be the only student. That also means more one on one time with residents (who are often on the admissions committee) and attendings -> so I was thinking more training, strong Letter, and more networking? Thoughts? I guess that won't be as true for June, as you're saying your experience was, since that's the month a lot transitioning is happening. Thanks for sharing your experience

Last edited:
As another off-cycle student, I was planning to do auditions June and July of this year but covid had other plans. I honestly would not take a long leave of absence to study for step two and would save that to take after you have your baby. Studying for step 2 is nothing like step one and can easily be done on rotation and within a few weeks of dedicated. Nov-April is WAY overkill for step 2 studying and you will likely be bored. Having that time with your newborn will be so much more valuable and honestly time you will never get back. I plan on graduating late in 2020 and then hopefully having a baby in the spring before residency. If you are going for FM then most likely "showing" during interview season shouldn't be a huge deal. Honestly if you go interview at a program that would think less of you for having a kid, is that really a residency you want to go to with a family?

After rechecking my schedule, my third year does not end until December 15 actually and I was thinking of maybe enjoying Christmas holidays and studying for step 2 after. I want to set up an audition for April so plan is to be done by both step 2 exams by mid-March. that leaves January to early March to study. Is that still too long? I don't want to take too long of a time period because I know that looks bad on residency application.

I would love to have extra time with my baby but I'm afraid to have the baby during the spring leave of absence, because traveling across country and auditioning long days with a newborn seems scary and expensive (will need a nanny). I figure it's easier to be pregnant during that time instead? I'm not sure yet, still trying to figure out best time to baby. Im overwhelmed, there's so much to consider!

And I agree with you. I don't want to go to a residency that looks down on me for being pregnant. I'm hoping that wont happen since Im applying all FM

After rechecking my schedule, my third year does not end until December 15 actually and I was thinking of maybe enjoying Christmas holidays and studying for step 2 after. I want to set up an audition for April so plan is to be done by both step 2 exams by mid-March. that leaves January to early March to study. Is that still too long? I don't want to take too long of a time period because I know that looks bad on residency application.

I would love to have extra time with my baby but I'm afraid to have the baby during the spring leave of absence, because traveling across country and auditioning long days with a newborn seems scary and expensive (will need a nanny). I figure it's easier to be pregnant during that time instead? I'm not sure yet, still trying to figure out best time to baby. Im overwhelmed, there's so much to consider!

And I agree with you. I don't want to go to a residency that looks down on me for being pregnant. I'm hoping that wont happen since Im applying all FM
Personally I would not have been able to study exclusively for step 2 for two months. All of your rotations and shelf exams prepare you for step 2. I don't blame you for not wanting to have a newborn during aways but if I were in your situation, I would buckle down and finish all your rotations early and then try to plan to have your baby early spring of your graduating year and take those extra months to spend time with him/her. Yes this means interviewing when pregnant but honestly leaving for aways with a newborn seems really tough. You will be much more on your game to do auditions when pregnant compared to when you are a super sleep deprived first time mom with an infant at home. You can also talk to your school and see what they suggest. When I talked to my assistant dean before family planning he was really receptive and helped reassure me that there is a lot of flexibility during third and fourth year. Since you are already off cycle you have even more flexibility with time off!

Personally I would not have been able to study exclusively for step 2 for two months. All of your rotations and shelf exams prepare you for step 2. I don't blame you for not wanting to have a newborn during aways but if I were in your situation, I would buckle down and finish all your rotations early and then try to plan to have your baby early spring of your graduating year and take those extra months to spend time with him/her. Yes this means interviewing when pregnant but honestly leaving for aways with a newborn seems really tough. You will be much more on your game to do auditions when pregnant compared to when you are a super sleep deprived first time mom with an infant at home. You can also talk to your school and see what they suggest. When I talked to my assistant dean before family planning he was really receptive and helped reassure me that there is a lot of flexibility during third and fourth year. Since you are already off cycle you have even more flexibility with time off!

Thanks medstar1! Very helpful!