August 2014 DAT GROUP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep that's right, if July ppl get one, August ppl get one too....

August 13 is my test date.

I'm studying Orgo and gen chem for the next 2 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
August 23rd! Finishing Kaplan's online recourses then watching Chad's videos like my favorite movie!

August 11th!! Just finishing up the last 4 BC tests this week and then its all review. Do you guys think its worth going over all of DAT destroyer or invest my time rewatching Chads videos/quizzes?

I'm probably just going over chads, for g chem and Orgo.

But then again I'm aiming for a score of 20-25 overall

But if you are aiming for the 30's then destroyer is the key, based on DAT breakdowns

Members don't see this ad :)
August 23rd! Finishing Kaplan's online recourses then watching Chad's videos like my favorite movie!

He is funny, smart, and knows how to move his body in a sp3 formation.

( I think its sp3)

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't do destroyer and it turned out to be fine. Chad over destroyer. For orgo, chad is all you need, but gen chem was kinda weird for me.

I'm very strong in orgo (got perfect on the last two bootcamp exams) and pretty strong in gen chem. This week is all for bio and math practice while reviewing the chems. Also, test 9 and 10 of PAT from bootcamp.

Wow, that's good. Any tips ? Or are you a natural for chemistry ?

What are you going to use for qr?

I took orgo this summer with a good professor and I just enjoy the class. Orgo is all about trends. Electron rich to electron poor. Once you notice that it's pretty easy. QR I am going over Math Destroyer a second time and the QR problems in the regular destroyer.

Yea good prof. Are gems....

Math destroyer, do you think that is too much difficulty ( am I wrong?),

do you think that chads and bootcamp is good enough?

Aug. 16! I've been doing Ari's 10 week plan and now I'm just going over Destroyer multiple times and reading Cliffs AP religiously.

Honestly I think bootcamp Math is not very representative and im not gonna bother with those exams. Math Destroyer I heard is excellent (tests 1-10).
Test 12 and 13 are difficult

Honestly I think bootcamp Math is not very representative and im not gonna bother with those exams. Math Destroyer I heard is excellent (tests 1-10).
Test 12 and 13 are difficult

Not representative as in too easy or too hard?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see you nilocdent, you like destroyer...

I guess I will have to change my qr approach....

Not representative as in too easy or too hard?

They are more difficult and not likely to be seen in such fashion on the DAT. Majority of the questions on the QR are basic algebra. Again this is going off what I have learned on SDN, I have not taken the DAT yet

They are more difficult and not likely to be seen in such fashion on the DAT. Majority of the questions on the QR are basic algebra. Again this is going off what I have learned on SDN, I have not taken the DAT yet

Yea I know, obvious, August 2014 dat thread.

;-)

Ok cool I did not know that about qr..

How sure are you, based on your research? (%)

BC QR question types are similar to the DAT, but the numbers are easier. But I got lower score on my real DAT than on the BC QR. I averaged about 23-24 on BC and got a 22 on the real one.

Last edited:
Yea I know, obvious, August 2014 dat thread.

;-)

Ok cool I did not know that about qr..

How sure are you, based on your research? (%)

My friend recently took the exam and got a 25AA, 23QR. He told me not to bother with bootcamp QR (he practically has a photographic memory so I trust him when he says Math destroyer was more representative). Other breakdowns had similar responses

If you have time, it never hurts to practice with bootcamp

You are correct, August does have higher temperatures compared to JULY.

So yes, you July-ians are cooler but we August-tinians are HOTTER.

Good luck everyone taking the test in August. I know how you guys feel right now. Leading up to the test, I was so nervous and anxious I only got about 5 hours of sleep for a whole week. Just believe in yourself and the results will come.

August 15th for me. Going over Chad orgo now just went over a few videos for chem. Otherwise i'm trying to do a test in everything everyday including rc. I'm having trouble with orgo but hopefully will be fine after this review. QR is another story I'm trying to get there slowly but surely.

Anyone has any good tips on how to find oxidation #'s and #'s of electrons? For some reason that topic is the worst for me.

I have the Destroyer I did the bio section which had a lot of useful info that I felt that cliff's didn't cover trying to struggle my way thru chem section now.

August 15th for me. Going over Chad orgo now just went over a few videos for chem. Otherwise i'm trying to do a test in everything everyday including rc. I'm having trouble with orgo but hopefully will be fine after this review. QR is another story I'm trying to get there slowly but surely.

Anyone has any good tips on how to find oxidation #'s and #'s of electrons? For some reason that topic is the worst for me.

I have the Destroyer I did the bio section which had a lot of useful info that I felt that cliff's didn't cover trying to struggle my way thru chem section now.

Count the total # of valence e- each atom brings to the molecule.

Add it all up. Now this is the total # of e- the molecule has.

Now distribute them accordingly through bonds, double bounds and lone pairs of e- and possibly triple bonds.

CO2

C= 4
O2=6x2=12

O=C=O

And each O has its lone pairs,
Resulting in a neutral charged molecule.

If for some reason an O had 3 pairs of lone e- then the molecule would be slightly negative charged.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Take notes and rewind while watching chads videos... And always do the quizzes afterwards.

I was waiting for this thread! My test is aug. 16.. I'm probably freaking out most about QR/bio.

Mine is on the 16th and I have no idea how to tackle the QR section, I've been doing math destroyer and getting a punch of them wrong, I also started blanking whenever I'd see numbers on the chem section :(

my test is the 16th as well and I have no idea how to tackle the QR and I just started blanking whenever I'd see numbers in the chem section as well :(
you're probably freaking yourself out! (which i understand) Just take deep breath and try to relax, it may help you clear your thought process. You can always look up concepts that you dont understand on youtube!!! Stay strong :)

you're probably freaking yourself out! (which i understand) Just take deep breath and try to relax, it may help you clear your thought process. You can always look up concepts that you dont understand on youtube!!! Stay strong :)
I probably am.. thanks :)

Keep at it. My first time through Math Destroyer was rough. My test is Thursday and I am going through it a second time right now doing way better! I learned so much and have increased my speed incredibly. Don't get discouraged!
that makes me feel much better, thanks... good luck on your test :)

Test August 23. Not sure what to review heavily over the next few weeks. Bio, PAT, RC are my strong points. Don't know if I should strengthen those or spend time on weaknesses (which will take a long time)

Posted using SDN Mobile

I'm applying this cycle...and totally kicking myself for not taking the DAT last summer. It was completely ignorant of me not to realize how annoying it was going to be to study and apply at the same time. So much more stress, haha. #funnynotfunny

My test date's August 28.

I already submitted my application I just need to submit my DaT scores once I take it. I'm scared I will not get in because my DAT will be late

I already submitted my application I just need to submit my DaT scores once I take it. I'm scared I will not get in because my DAT will be late

When is your DAT date?

If it is before September, your still in the clear. After October is late.

Not sure where to post this, but does anyone have a copy of the 2009 DAT they want to sell/give away? In Los Angeles area. I figure this might be faster than waiting for the mailing. My exam is in 4 weeks.

Not sure where to post this, but does anyone have a copy of the 2009 DAT they want to sell/give away? In Los Angeles area. I figure this might be faster than waiting for the mailing. My exam is in 4 weeks.
I ordered mine right around then, and got it within a week or two!

my test is August 10th! This is my third week of studying so I'm afraid I haven't prepared enough...and I'm about to go on a 5 day vacation (I moved back my test from today actually)

my test is August 10th! This is my third week of studying so I'm afraid I haven't prepared enough...and I'm about to go on a 5 day vacation (I moved back my test from today actually)

Doesn't sound too good.

But you know where you stand with your knowledge of required material to review before exam.

Doesn't sound too good.

But you know where you stand with your knowledge of required material to review before exam.

Do you think it's that bad?
I'm almost done with Destroyer and I plan to do it a second time.
I've gone through Chad Orgo videos twice now, and I'm redoing the quizzes for orgo and gen chem. (just came out of a year of intensive gen chem so I'm only watching chad when I need to)
My QR is solid. I'm consistently getting like a 24 on Math destroyer
Not too worried about RC

On the fourth Kaplan test I got
bio/gc/oc/ts/rc/qr/pat/aa
19/20/18/19/22/24/20/21

And I shouldn't have done so badly in gc.
My goal is a AA of 22 and TS above 20.

Do you think it's that bad?
I'm almost done with Destroyer and I plan to do it a second time.
I've gone through Chad Orgo videos twice now, and I'm redoing the quizzes for orgo and gen chem. (just came out of a year of intensive gen chem so I'm only watching chad when I need to)
My QR is solid. I'm consistently getting like a 24 on Math destroyer
Not too worried about RC

On the fourth Kaplan test I got
bio/gc/oc/ts/rc/qr/pat/aa
19/20/18/19/22/24/20/21

And I shouldn't have done so badly in gc.
My goal is a AA of 22 and TS above 20.

Those pre-test scores you are getting look good.

But the vacation part doesn't look good. If you go away for 5 days some of your memorized testing information might be forgotten.

Those pre-test scores you are getting look good.

But the vacation part doesn't look good. If you go away for 5 days some of your memorized testing information might be forgotten.

I'm bringing destroyer and feralis notes with me!
I'm hoping to do some qvault tests as well.
We're going to the beach, so I will be religiously reading feralis and doing destroyer at the hotel.