August 2014 DAT GROUP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yep that's right, if July ppl get one, August ppl get one too....

August 13 is my test date.

I'm studying Orgo and gen chem for the next 2 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I like to purchase the Chad's video for my test! Where can I find them?
Go to coursesaver.com, make an account, then go to through the videos and quizzes and subscribe to what you need. You get choices between 1 month - 3 month subscription I think. For me there was a DAT special package for $50 which gets you all DAT videos and quizzes so look around the site before you subscribe to anything.

are chad's videos online when you purchase them?

EDIT: nvm i just purchased them and it is online

Last edited:
are chad's videos online when you purchase them?
Everything is online. He also uploaded outlines for each subject's sub- section that he uses in his review, so you can download them and follow along when he says "On your handout..."

I'm such chicken to schedule this exam. How do you guys feel in terms of readiness ?
I have a date in mind but nothing official.

I'm such chicken to schedule this exam. How do you guys feel in terms of readiness ?

You can stay as a chicken, clucking around,

Or

Take the DAT, ASAP, and become a Dentist....

Which position you want?

Reactions: 3 users

Nothing wrong w/ being chicken! Doesn't sound like you are are applying this cycle, so I don't think knockins advice applies to you. Why rush things if you are not ready? I would rather go into the test knowing that I gave it my best.

What do you guys think about Ari's list of polyatomics to know for the DAT? Should we memorize them all? o_O Or just know the basic ones?

I actually pushed my exam back a few weeks, was planning to take it end of July but rescheduled. We're never going to "feel ready". The stuff I was confident in a month ago, I'm forgetting now. It sucks! The more I'm learning new things in bio, I forget the old concepts! Just have confidence! Set your date so it will push you to study! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
@valkyrie08 where is the list ? I also know the basics but I guess you can never know what they will ask.
I really want to apply this cycle so I will do my best to take it soon. Thank you guys for the advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one in the history of DAT taking has walked in there without shaking a bit from the adrenaline rushing through them at first. You are only confident that you know your material well enough to know what you are doing on the exam. Just make sure that you know the material as best as you can by the time your test comes around, otherwise push it back until you know it. Don't take it for the sake of getting it over with. In the end you only want to get a great score so you only have to take it once.

I ended up pushing mine back 3 weeks because I didn't know the material well enough. No harm in paying $25 to push it back to ensure better results.

I'm applying this cycle (submitted my app before doing the DAT) so I really didn't have a choice in pushing it further back. If you're not in a time crunch like I was, don't be afraid to postpone. But like FancyFloss said, you won't go in there knowing everything. You just need to know enough to get by :happy:

I'm about to use an intro to chemistry textbook I found in my closet.

I think it will help break things down to nice little baby bites.....

Or as some ppl would say "to dumb things down".

Any thoughts comments?

I'm about to use an intro to chemistry textbook I found in my closet.

I think it will help break things down to nice little baby bites.....

Or as some ppl would say "to dumb things down".

Any thoughts comments?
Yea, don't spend too much time in those textbooks since there is superfluous information that can detract from the actual learning. Take notes from the book so that way you can constrict a whole chapter on rate laws or whatever into maybe 2 pages of notes. A lot of companies pay textbook writers by the word so authors will throw in as much extra sentences and useless information to explain a simple point that could've been done in 10 words. As evidence by biology textbooks. Look at how large those are are compared to any bio review book that is a fraction of the size of an actual textbook, and most of the time even more detailed.

Yea, don't spend too much time in those textbooks since there is superfluous information that can detract from the actual learning. Take notes from the book so that way you can constrict a whole chapter on rate laws or whatever into maybe 2 pages of notes. A lot of companies pay textbook writers by the word so authors will throw in as much extra sentences and useless information to explain a simple point that could've been done in 10 words. As evidence by biology textbooks. Look at how large those are are compared to any bio review book that is a fraction of the size of an actual textbook, and most of the time even more detailed.

Hmmm

Guys I booked my exam yesterday after all your advice so thank you !!!
D-Day is September 5th !!! I'm actually excited. @tooth knockn are you proud ?

I'm taking mine on the 18th (less than 2 weeks) :(! I'm super excited to get it over with, although I don't feel as prepared as I should be. (Who does though?) I have gone through all of chad's chemistry twice. The first time through i was averaging 14's (lol) in gchem, and now i am in the 17-20 range using BC (same with ochem). I have been doing really well with PAT practice (using BC and averaging 20+), but haven't done much with RC. Any tips on how to improve RC? I have done one practice test on BC and received a 17 using search and destroy. Any thoughts on how to improve?

Good luck to everyone taking the DAT!

I'm taking mine on the 18th (less than 2 weeks) :(! I'm super excited to get it over with, although I don't feel as prepared as I should be. (Who does though?) I have gone through all of chad's chemistry twice. The first time through i was averaging 14's (lol) in gchem, and now i am in the 17-20 range using BC (same with ochem). I have been doing really well with PAT practice (using BC and averaging 20+), but haven't done much with RC. Any tips on how to improve RC? I have done one practice test on BC and received a 17 using search and destroy. Any thoughts on how to improve?

Good luck to everyone taking the DAT!

@CabbageKid

My Friend did a road map for the q's and said that worked my better than S/D or doing a road map for the passage. She did a 20 on the RC section. Try it.

Mine is August 18th!!!! Yikes. Do you guys think destroyer round 2 is a must?

Mine is August 18th!!!! Yikes. Do you guys think destroyer round 2 is a must?
Yes! Some people were saying how some of the bio question were identical to the ones asked in the Destroyer. For chem and orgo, just make sure you know how to do all the problems and understand the conceptual questions. Math portion is eh, not worth it. Too easy and I rather spend the time towards Math destroyer.

Did you guys not write in your destroyers? I don't see the point in doing a 2nd round when I can already see the answers? Just a thought. I take mine in a little over week, I have barely touched the BIO portion of the destroyer, but I am going through Feralis.

Yes! Some people were saying how some of the bio question were identical to the ones asked in the Destroyer. For chem and orgo, just make sure you know how to do all the problems and understand the conceptual questions. Math portion is eh, not worth it. Too easy and I rather spend the time towards Math destroyer.

Yeah many have said they've done fine by mastering all the qr math from destroyer and some have said do the first 5 while others say do the first 10. I just feel I don't have time so maybe I should master the first 5 only? hmm

My test is in a week. What do you guys suggest I do? I have already taken the 2009 DAT and planning for 2007 on Sunday so what should the other days of my studying consist of? I have a few ideas in my mind but just want some feedback

haha yay!! how are you feeling? I'm stressing out!
Hey! Mine is also on the 18th! I'm definitely stressing out as well :( For anyone that has already taken the DAT, for the PAT section, do they let you draw grids (for cube counting) during the tutorial?

Schedule it ASAP. I realized I had no motivation in studying for this test until I had set myself a deadline by signing up for a date two months in advance.

Schedule it ASAP. I realized I had no motivation in studying for this test until I had set myself a deadline by signing up for a date two months in advance.

THIS. Best time to to schedule your exam? Yesterday. I scheduled mine 2 months before I started studying, and I only studied for maybe 3 hours a day for the first 5 weeks. It wasn't until the last 3 weeks did I start studying 8+ hours.

Is August 24th too late for this cycle? Also how can I find the best method for hole punching?

$25? WTF I paid $100 yesterday to push it back on the prometric website
They have a system where the closer you are to the original test date the more you pay. So if you're a month or more away from taking the DAT when you reschedule it's $25.

Is August 24th too late for this cycle? Also how can I find the best method for hole punching?
As long as you have everything in by August 31st you'll be fine. We missed the first few batches already so if the last thing is to take your DAT on the 24th then you're ok.

Anyone have tips on memorizing products and reagents for Ochem? I'm making flashcards, but they're just so many!:dead:

As long as you have everything in by August 31st you'll be fine. We missed the first few batches already so if the last thing is to take your DAT on the 24th then you're ok.
Okay thanks. Yeah I submitted everything the end of July. Most schools are just waiting for my DAT.

can anyone give some insight on 2009 DAT scores vs real DAT scores? I definitely feel like the QR and RC on the 2009 was much harder than any practice test I've taken!