August 26 MCAT Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddocapplicant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see a post for the 8/26 MCAT, so I'm wondering if anyone is taking it on August 26? Have you started taking practice exams? Are you still reviewing the material? Is this your first MCAT?

I just started reviewing and will be taking my first practice MCAT tomorrow. Good luck everyone!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

anyone get pissed off at the monitors?

My center (in jersey) had these old crappy CRT monitors and the refresh rate on them was HORRIBLE. I started PS and i couldnt freaking read! I told the lady and shes like.. see if it goes away when you start your test. riiiight lady the refresh rate will magically change

so i manage to get through ps.. with a slight headache lol and since i know the next one is verbal.. theres no way im sitting through reading flickering text.. so i asked her to fix it..

so since we all cant figure out how to right click desktop and change refresh rate she changes my station

the next station was slightly better but nonetheless i was pissed.. paying $210 for a test and not even being able to take it on an LCD ?

My center (in jersey) had these old crappy CRT monitors and the refresh rate on them was HORRIBLE. I started PS and i couldnt freaking read! I told the lady and shes like.. see if it goes away when you start your test. riiiight lady the refresh rate will magically change

so i manage to get through ps.. with a slight headache lol and since i know the next one is verbal.. theres no way im sitting through reading flickering text.. so i asked her to fix it..

so since we all cant figure out how to right click desktop and change refresh rate she changes my station

the next station was slightly better but nonetheless i was pissed.. paying $210 for a test and not even being able to take it on an LCD ?

Ha. My monitors were not much better. It was a Kaplan center, where apparently other big tests are held at too, so I would have thought that they would have nice LCD's.

But well, after the calculation intense physical science question that everyone seems to agree with me was harder than any of the AAMC practice tests, and after the bio section that had 2 really detailed passages, the bad monitors were the least of my worries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, please refer to the sticky at the top of the main forum about confidentiality of the MCAT. Posting specific information that will give another user an idea about specific questions on the exam results in a 1-week PH.

You are not allowed to post:
- specific MCAT questions or answers.
- how to approach specific questions or answers.
- specific information about a question or answer.
- Continue or add to a discussion in progress about specific questions and answers.

Please, if you are unsure do not post it in the first place!
Thanks for your cooperation.

great...now i find out i didnt even answer the last 3 discrete questions of PS. i will live to regret this day

Hi guys, after I finished the test I went straight to play and now I'm back home~ Looks like I got a fairly similar experience as you guys

PS: too much reading! the first passage is just like a VR to me... other passage have too much calculation. I remember there is one passage is about 6 different kinds of circuit, and the questions inculde energy, capacitor, litght... I hate that some answers of the question is the cobination of some numbers instead of just the result of the caculation, which makes you wonder where the hell are those numbers from

VR: fair, I got 3 really easy passage and 2 really hard one

WS: first one is OK, second one is EASY!

BS: again too much reading, just like another VR for me... I got slowed in the warning color passage and the antibody passage, and I took like 5 min to do the cancer passage (I just read the graph and some definition, didn't read through the passage) Also there was one metabolism passage, I just did all question without reading the stupid passage...cuz I only had 3 min left...

Overall, it was very very BRUTAL!!! I thought about void it but I really want my life back... at least for 30 days... and it's $200... so I didn't void it and you guys need to thank me~ (I'm sure I'll lower the curve for you guys :)

I don't think I can estimate the score cuz it was really really much harder than those AMMC practices.

I think your experience teach us that we should visit the testing center before register... who would know how the quality of those testing centers will be...

i agree. the test centers need to be standardized, but the aamc does not own the testcenters. they probably just pay prometric money to administer the test. these centers should also have quiet keyboards!

Also, i can't believe the estimated date for score release is sep30! thats over a month. i remember ppl who took the paper test who got it back in 4 weeks.

Last edited:
monitors were HORRIBLE.. i swear the refresh rate was at like 30Hz instead of the required 60. like watching a fast motion slide show. and on top of that, my keyboard didin't work AT ALL during the WS. my computer had to be rebooted... will my answers from the previous sections be ok ?

So I'm at a party and using the host's computer to check this forum. Go figure. Ahhh. I can't believe this test today!! I am seriously jealous of you guys who just guessed at three/four questions on p.s.! I wish I knew where the time went, since I nailed most of the section but guessed on at least 10 of the questions:( So is everyone applying to a range of schools without knowing how you did? Is anyone already registering for another date even if you haven't voided the test? What a mess....that was a hell of a test. Okay..I'm kinda drunk yayyyyy hope you are too!!

I took it today as well. It went well I thought. My center was nice. But the keyboards were kinda noisy. Must suck, depending on where you are on the test, cuz you either get a noisy end of verbal, or noisy beginning of bio.

That test was freaking stupid hard. What the shiza! I mean seriously....

Physics: SOOOOOOO much calculations and weird manipulations I wanted to punch the screen. Getting to the answer wasn't the hard part, it just took so damn long. There were some pretty difficult questions though. I thought I was doin' alright with it when all of the sudden, I look at the time and BOOM! A kick straight in the crotch! 5 MINUTES left and I have about a passage and 3 questions to go! I ended up making some educated guesses (at least I think). WTF? I usually nail the physical sciences on the AAMC and Berkeley Review tests (10-13), but this....this was much more difficult.

Verbal: Nothing too outrageous. Pretty comparable to AAMC or TBR. But, I was so pissed about the Physical Sciences that it probably screwed me up. And of course, no one is ever for sure about their verbal scores.

Writing sample: Just some time to lay back and throw some b.s. on the page.

Bio: Overall not too bad. I took some graduate cell and molec classes so wasn't anything that blindsided me.

Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling great about PS section and I'm afraid my frustration may of carried over to verbal. I sat there for about 4mins 50secs and finally voided the stupid thing. Now I just gotta register and take it asap. Mother B**ch!

I guess you'll be finding me in the September MCAT United Front thread.

LAME! LAME LAME! LAME!

Members don't see this ad :)
PS: I struggled a lot on this section, compared to the practice exams. I couldn't figure out how to solve a number of problems quickly enough, and then found myself further bogged down in doing the calculations for them. i don't know if the section was really that hard or if i was just overly nervous. I was really rushed to finish and am worried I guessed on too many and made dumb calculation mistakes. I am praying for a curve that is more generous than the ones on the practice exams.

V: same as practice tests, but much longer passages. i had trouble not zoning out during the longer ones, and like always with verbal, i have no idea how i did.

BS: I didn't struggle with this section, but i likely made the usual 3-5 stupid errors. this section did seem harder than those on all of the practice aamcs.

PS: it was... confusing. i spent like the first 10 minutes on the first passage and then it was all down hill from there. in general, i felt confused. a lot of gen chem. less physics. more calculations but not too much.

VR: it was an average AAMC verbal passage. verbal is always my weakness....

WR: i've spent the summer writing 5 essays total. i was a bit freaked out because i didn't write enough essays/went over enough prompts but my 2 prompts were pretty good. i was able to come up 2 two solid examples each which was what i was going for.

BS: i thought it was okay until i hit the BRC(whatever)+/- passage and the UTI passage. then i was thinking to myself WTF. i'm totally getting raped by this exam. it was painful.

and now it's over.

physics---harder than aamc. Many more calculations and some odd questions that hadn't come up on any previous practice tests. Time was the enemy and I had to guess on a few.

verbal--not too shabby

bio---cancer and UTI passages were killer. I usually don't struggle with time on bio but today I took the entire time.

Came out not feeling nearly as confident as I did after recent practice tests. Hoping for a good curve. Its all over....at least for 30 days! I'm off to enjoy myself until then :rolleyes:

whoever said the bio section was like a pseudo verbal section i completely agree. Some of the questions were paragraphs long, and i had to literally reread them like 5 times to even try to understand what they were asking.

Honestly, this test was unfair in many ways, yet if you kept your cool, you possibly could've answered some of the questions without worrying too much

I am not saying that I did, we ll just have to see

P.S.- Definitely my strongest section during the aamc practice test sessions, averaged 13s and got a 14 once, but the real thing, i left 4 questions blank thinking i would come back, and all i remember was 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...GONE! had to say goodbye to those 4 questions and if i got 3 or 4 more wrong, then thats a 44 out of 52...hopefully with a good curve thats like a 12 or something
Verbal- No one ever knows how they did until you get the score. I was very inconsistent with my verbal scores on practice, ranging from 8 to all sorts of double digits
W.S.- Clearly a joke, it is just there so that you are completely ****ing tired for the B.S.
B.S.- I had the insulin passage and BRCA passage, i always hated mice passages in the practice tests for TPR and AAMC, and i had 2 passages with mice in them, fun stuff...but this refers back to my original point, although BRCA and insulin passages were tough to understand the questions couldve been answered, not easily, but close to effeciently, with POE, i only remember struggling on 4-5 questions combined both passages, although i made guesses on some too, i felt confident in picking the answers, rest is dependent on god!

Also, yes there were 3 discrete after passage 7 on P.S.- unlikely format of AAMC

BUT guys remember one thing, if you thought something was really weird in any of the sections, there is a possibility that they were experimental questions. AAMC always has those, your score is determined using couple questions less from either 52 or 40, so putting a lot of trust on hope and luck, may be the hardest or weirdest ones were experimental, *fingers crossed*

thats all
prediction:
P.S- 11 or 12
Verbal- 10, 11 or 12 god knows
Writing- I wish I had superpowers so I can actually tie up the test writers and make them do this section particularly to waste 60 minutes of their lives and then make them do B.S.
B.S.- 12 or 13(with tremendous amount of luck)

one more thing, my test center had perfect room temperature, and the monitors were LCD, they had just gotten new monitors, so all of that perfect,

this is a long shot, but if any of you lives in NJ and is considering retaking this test, may be you can try signing up for the one in Fair Lawn, 07410. That is where I took and was totally satisfied with the testing conditions

Testing Center: Had a bit of a time finding but but overall it was nice. Had LCD's with nice headphones but the keyboards were so damn loud; but it seemed everyone was on the writing the same time so it wasn't a big deal. Although signing in and out during breaks was the biggest pain in the ***. I tested at the center in Penn Plaza (Manhattan)

PS - It started out fairly easy and the GC was pretty straighfoward in my opinion. What really got me was the physics section with the torque and a few discretes I wasn't sure on. I did have about 10 mins to check over my work but I was iffy on a few questions. Overall the physics portion is what got me and I felt confident on the GC.

Vr- everyone seems to think this was easy but I thought it was kind of hard, granted this is always my worst section. In retrospect, the passages were way longer and bogged with detail but questions seemed straightforward enough, nothing too tricky. I'd be happy with a 9 or above. Ironically, it was the arts/literature passages I thought were fine but the science/humanities that were so wordy this time.

Writing- Managed to think of the relevant examples and did follow directions and made sure grammar was correct. Anything average or above would be great but I don't really care as much.

BS- Again I thought it started out easy, I wasn't too excite on getting an evolution passage because I barely touched that in review. Was happy wit the Orgo passage and discrete but I also got the Insulin and DCAP (cancer in mice) Passage and literally spent the last 30 mins on those passages alone. It just had many conditions for each molecule/experiment and they started abbreviating names that really got be confused and made me look back at least twice for each question. Surprisingly a few discrete also got me because I totally blanked out even though I knew the material. This was mostly Physio with those two hard genetics passages.

Last edited:
Hey All,

I needed a day just to think about it

PS...Not to bad, made a lot of mistakes on the first time (July 18) so I think I did better

VR - Too much artsy passages but its VR

WS- BS on a Page/Monitor/

Bio- I thought this was very hard, the cancer and genetics passages used lots of confusing acronyms that seemed to change with each question and the figure did not help things much. I got a 10 on my first MCAT but damn, I hope I get near that on this one, I was suprised by the difference in difficulty from my first test (finished BS with 15 min) to this one

Physical: thought it was alright
Verbal: I don't remember lol
Biological: Seemed hard but easy if you read the passage slowly. The cancer passage did take some time but for me I thought the questions were pretty straight forward and beside I did take a cancer biology class last spring so some of the stuff were familiar to me.

To me overall the test wasn't that bad. This is the second time I took it. The first time I came out feeling horrible and now I don't feel as bad. I dunno this might be bad because I probably fell into a lot of trap question lol. Well, good luck everybody, just relax now cause there is really nothing you can do about it. You can sit here worrying about it but it really not going to change your score. I say, enjoy the last month of your summer :)

Last edited:
i looked into the UTI passage a bit more, and the entire study the passage was based on was published less than a year ago, so there is a good chance it was an experimental passage!

You should read my post about the monitor completely browning out and my having to go get Joe Proctor to come and shut my computer down (twice). Talk about pissed the f*ck off. That's why I had to take it again yesterday. I had to drive and hour and 15 minutes to get to some house with a testing room in it, which was pretty odd to say the least. Old-school CRTs, but they worked, so whatever.

Anyway, I actually finished the PS and BS sections, though I would have liked more time with the two passages. I read them once and said $#@#$ this and made sure all I got all the discretes at the end then came back. Those two sections were far and away the hardest MCAT things I have ever seen. I hope you all did terrible on them.

no he's probably just saying what everyone's thinking. It's just a more crude way of saying "i hope the curve's nice."

Hmm seems like ur most likely right, that curvesetting occurs before the exam. In that case, his point still stands though, just revising it to "hope the people who did these questions on previous exams all did terribly"

Hmm seems like ur most likely right, that curvesetting occurs before the exam. In that case, his point still stands though, just revising it to "hope the people who did these questions on previous exams all did terribly"

That would apply to Bio….but it seems Physics wasn't hard because of the questions, but because of the timing. For example, I didn't find the PS questions difficult. I was confident in the answers I was getting. There were just a lot of them that required calculations, which slowed me down. Thus, my timing was off and I rushed the last 6 questions. It seems like most others here had the same problem.

So it wasn't the difficulty of the problems, so much as we had a bunch more calculation problems. I wonder if they'll notice a lot of people ran out of time/guessed at the end and curve it accordingly. Because if it is true that the curve is pre-determined and only based on question difficulty, then the curve for PS won't be very favorable despite the timing problems.

Screen: Biggest problem and came in worried I'd get a migraine that day (in my case, they put me out of commission for a couple days). The flashing screen made me panic that it would trigger a migraine, so through the first half of PS (after that the screen oddly got "better") I had to just try to memorize what I saw on the screen.

PS: Other than the screen scare, not too bad, though there was one question I had to guess on (=I had NO idea) and several that I wasn't sure of, especially because of relatively long calculations. Finished with 10 min to spare but then was so worn out I could hardly use that time. Didn't have the fiber question (or hope I didn't! otherwise I missed a whole passage!)

VR: It seemed like it should have been easy, but couldn't get an annoying song out of my head through the first half. And the passages seemed unusually boring, too. I mean, as much as I hate Verbal, I try to treat it as learning about something new so that it can keep my attention. This time, I found that really hard... probably partly because of the song in my head, but also because all but one on art seemed really, really, really boring.

BS: Seemed like this was mostly about keeping track of jargon and acronyms I'd never heard of before, so time-consuming and grueling but, as others have said, not conceptually difficult. One of the passages was even interesting, but the related questions were so poorly worded it was hard to figure out an answer.

Seriously, the irony to me seems to be that for WS you're expected to write clearly and concisely, and then the rest of the MCAT is trying to decipher writing in the exact opposite style by the test-makers. Blah, whatever, it's over. I hardly know what to do with my newfound freedom! Personally, I'm glad I'm not getting the scores back for a while. At least I can hope I did well and enjoy this time off!

Though speaking of scores, where do you get them? I went to http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/sendscores/start.htm but it doesn't seem to have any links to get your scores (and I'm assuming they won't magically appear when the time comes since it's someone else's time now). Do they just email you a link or your scores or something when they come out, or does it just show up on you AMCAS application?

I have the story of the day for something that happened during my test, which I voided, but had nothing to do with the following event because I was on break when it happened.

This testing center is in a pretty standard commercial office building, fairly new build out etc. The actual testing room was on the other side of an interior wall from the lockers. When I came back from my break, much to my amazement there was a construction guy sitting there in front of the lockers with some of the test center ladies. On the floor at his feet was a large gas powered chop saw. This is basically an oversize chainsaw with a big cutting disc on the end. You've likely seen these being used in road construction when they're cutting through concrete streets.

Upon seeing this I said, "You aren't going to use that in here are you?" I said, "I'd be extremely upset if I was in the middle of the test and you used that." Keep in mind about 20 people were in the middle of various tests on the other side of this very wall.

As it turns out the key stopped working for someones little baby masterlock. They couldn't find a bolt cutter or anything rational to use to cut this little paper clip thick lock so they fired this thing up, indoors at wide open throttle trying to cut this little lock open so someone could get their stuff out. The best part was they kept doing it over and over again because they cut the wrong side first and then kept stopping before getting all the way through. It was like a bad movie or something. I couldn't believe it was happening. On top of the noise the stink and smoke from the gas powered tool went through the vents into the testing room proper. Top that MCAT story : ) I extended my break until they were done btw.

so it seems like there are two different versions on the 26th test? Because a few people did not have the passage that others had on their test. My question is the curve standardized for each test (assuming there are two different sets of test) or is the curve standerdized for all test takers that took it that same day? I would think the former would be the one, but just wanted to make sure nevertheless.

Though speaking of scores, where do you get them? I went to http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/sendscores/start.htm but it doesn't seem to have any links to get your scores (and I'm assuming they won't magically appear when the time comes since it's someone else's time now). Do they just email you a link or your scores or something when they come out, or does it just show up on you AMCAS application?

I don't think too many people actually read my "Don't Know Where To Start? Click Here!" Sticky on the top of the MCAT forum. Well, if you did read it you would have found this helpful:
I Just Finished My MCAT, Where Can I Find My Results?
Results should come in within 30 days and all scores will be released electronically here: https://services.aamc.org/mcatthx/
Also, have you tried looking at the very first sentence of the link you have provided?

Managed to snag a test on the 6th so thankfully the void of the 26th didn't kill me. Although I'll have to drive 2 hours each way extra and stay over in a hotel instead of the center being 100 yards from my office on the 26th.

Good luck on your scores guys. :luck:

Managed to snag a test on the 6th so thankfully the void of the 26th didn't kill me. Although I'll have to drive 2 hours each way extra and stay over in a hotel instead of the center being 100 yards from my office on the 26th.

Good luck on your scores guys. :luck:

Just grabbed a Sept 5th spot all the way in San Diego, its at 8 in the morn so I'm gonna grab a cheap hotel too. I was freaking out because I might of had to take it in Hawaii, WHEN I'M ON A VACATION. Phew....looks like I'll be taking it next Friday.

Another date with destiny....HOPEFULLY this time she doesn't take me out back and beat the crap out of me again. I still have bruises from the last outing. :beat:

I think I would agree with most of the comments posted here about the relative difficulty -- physical sci found me more rushed than usual and bio had me caught up in a web of words at times. I wouldn't say it was significantly more difficult than most other practice tests I had encountered, but it was tricky. I feel that the MCAT is a thinking test, really -- you can know the facts and the stuff you learn from the review books. But I feel the MCAT demands a high level of critical thinking and reasoning.. otherwise known as the WTF factor.

This time was my third time taking the CBT, twice last year, once voided. I voided the first time because of the WTF factor. I was terrified. I had grown accustomed to taking AAMC tests and doing well on them. But I felt like whenever I read a question, I thought to myself, "holy cr*p its a good thing I studied that because it is on the test!" (or more often..."I can't believe I didn't study that!") For those reading this before your September test, I can't stress enough (pun intended) the value of relaxation and a clear state of mind. Five days before the test, I had a glass or two of red wine at 11:30 so I could be less anxious at bed time and fall asleep at a reasonable hour. I took the whole day off the day before -- went shopping, got a massage and had dinner with a pretty girl :D

Though my heart was still racing when I walked into the testing center, I was rested, refreshed, and much more able to think. I wasn't on edge with my nerves, which made a huge difference! I don't know if that specifically helped, but I sure would recommend it :)

Also worth noting -- compared to last year, the format of the CBT is different. It is EXACTLY like the practice AAMCs, in terms of placement of the timer, type of buttons available, and overall functionality. I used the "Review" button half way through and a couple mins before the end of each subject to make sure I didn't skip anything.

I don't think too many people actually read my "Don't Know Where To Start? Click Here!" Sticky on the top of the MCAT forum. Well, if you did read it you would have found this helpful:

Also, have you tried looking at the very first sentence of the link you have provided?

Thanks, things make a lot more sense now. I somehow thought that link was for people who took the MCAT before 2003 or something.

The only thing conspicuously lacking from the CBT interface that was on the AAMCs was the oh-so-handy Pause button. I know we all used it to "cheat" during our practice verbal sections. In fact, I took my PS and BS sections in Mozilla because the Pause button didn't work on that browser, but I did the VR sections on IE cuz Mozilla didn't allow for highlighting.

I was in a North Jersey site, and yeah, the monitors were crap. You'd think a professional testing facility would have LCDs or at least higher refresh rates...I made a note of it in the survey for what that's worth.

Has anyone ever heard of AAMC tests with a Kaplan-like curve?
I assume/presume that several sections of recent administrations that are much harder than AAMC practice tests SHOULD have Kaplan-like curves. We'll see what happens once August MCAT testtakers get scores back.

In my own eyes, I had thought I had done thorough preparation for this exam, and could answer all the questions. However, after I finished and got out of the test center, all I could do on the drive back home in my car was say "wow."

In the physical sciences section, I had read some earlier posts that there was a lot more computations and was prepared for that, but I didn't have any time to go back to my answers and review for stupid mistakes. Also, a lot more of the plain common sense logic was drawn upon for the physical sciences rather than just equations/formulas. You know like figuring out a good answer estimation through just knowing that the angle wasn't going to this big, or that small and narrow down to two and probably this...and not that one. Or that you could use trig to get this or just divide and mutiply, but all of it was just logic! I kinda expected more stuff to be a passage about the doppler effect and then change some variations and throw in an equation and calculate, but really, nothing of this type was presented. Everything had long long writing, and lots of different formats of data presented and then questions that were direct and easy if you knew exactly what they were asking.

Then on verbal, well I don't know ever about that portion but it felt like the same level as previous exams which probably means it's tricky and all the answer choices have slight variations which all sound the same but you have to completely sure why one is the best out of all....

For the biological sciences, wow. That is completely logic as well. Of course you should have the back ground knowledge, just like the physical sciences of things so it's not completely foreign material, but a lot of that was just reading a graph and interpretting what it meant and knowing common sense stuff. even for biology nothing was a straight up knowledge question in the discretes, fortunately I have a background in biology but I just couldn't help wonder without taking certain classes that people would actually answer some of these questions correctly, of course logic in the stem can help but wow.

Really, I don't think they are kidding anymore with the MCAT because most of the answers are very similar, and really it's nothing something you can or have seen before but it's very much about choosing the most logically derived response...

And I felt like that for EVERY PROBLEM! Like I got an answer and had that as the best and most likely but wow. That's a crazy exam. I don't even know what a curve would like because honestly looking at the raw score from the past aamc exams, it seemed as though misssing 10 +/- 2 questions on each section would give you at least a 10, but feeling like you made educated questions on every questions.. wow. Not totally saying it was just blind guessing without any thought process but wow.

So i guess pretty much everyone agrees that the test was harder than most of the AAMC practice tests 4-10.

That should mean the curve will be nicer.

And dont worry guys, we only have 27 more days to go before we get ours scores :thumbup:

...This is ridiculous. If its a computer exam with a pre-determined scale, we should really be getting these results within 2-3 weeks at the most.

Are there experimental passages/questions on every section? I'd hate to think that the cancer/insulin passages would be experimental after me spending 30 mins on them together...

And dont worry guys, we only have 27 more days to go before we get ours scores :thumbup:

...This is ridiculous. If its a computer exam with a pre-determined scale, we should really be getting these results within 2-3 weeks at the most.

It's actually worse. Our release date is Sept. 30...so more like 32 days left:mad:

is it really sept. 30th?? lol...this is gonna be fun! jk,jk...it is what it is =)

aaahhh freakin out cant remeber my 7th verbal psg and afraid i skipped. had...
1. lemurs
2. etruscans
3. business cyle
4. tech/culture/books
5. art1
6. art2
can someone plzzzz tell me wat im forgetting??

aaahhh freakin out cant remeber my 7th verbal psg and afraid i skipped. had...
1. lemurs
2. etruscans
3. business cyle
4. tech/culture/books
5. art1
6. art2
can someone plzzzz tell me wat im forgetting??

Wasnt there one on 18th century hospitals versus modern hospitals?

...or maybe im talking about one of my practice tests i took before the real one.